The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 68 of 68

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Not really, there’s a lot of talking and not a lot of money where the mouth is.

I used to think some of the most vocal never post, but I was wrong there.
    Oh okay … I guess that’s true. In this case the main parties to the conversation have posted a few dozen videos each, so I misunderstood.

Speaking of clips, there’s a stigma that if you do post you’ll be ridiculed out of the forum. Which I haven’t seen happen.
    Honestly I’ve taken a few broadsides. But generally I don’t give too much of a heck.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Oh okay … I guess that’s true. In this case the main parties to the conversation have posted a few dozen videos each, so I misunderstood.

Honestly I’ve taken a few broadsides. But generally I don’t give too much of a heck
    yeah Christian’s even got a link to his album right in his signature.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Actually I feel that overuse of that clattery ‘bucket of dung’ stuff is a little bit of a crutch.

One great thing I read is that you also swing on the negative space. Louis’ quarters are not legato but not short either. Short, but fat. They are detached by a swing upbeats worth of space. This is something I learned to lean into when playing quarter note time as a rhythm player. It really works esp on electric. .

The position of the downbeat to my ears is a lot more context dependent and variable than the upbeat…
    I was like … what on earth is this dude talking about, and then I said “bucket of dung” out loud and got it.

And the Louis Quarter Note comment is insightful and helpful and thanks.

User Info Menu

Yowza! Reg and Jeff, guitar in hand, laying it down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    I was like … what on earth is this dude talking about, and then I said “bucket of dung” out loud and got it. J
    its a good one isn’t it? That’s a genuine bass player-ism

And the Louis Quarter Note comment is insightful and helpful and thanks.
    no problem. I found it helpful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    yeah Christian’s even got a link to his album right in his signature.
    Some of it swings I think. Helps when you have a good rhythm section!

I also think my time feel has improved a bit since then. I should post something at some point.

I didn’t mention that really when it comes down to it, technicalities aside, it’s about hearing the phrase clearly in detail and being able to execute it in a relaxed, offhand fashion.

It’s easy to get too caught up in ‘really swinging’, and then you listen back and realise it sounds a bit forced.

It’s a bit of a zen thing i suppose….

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yes! Finally time to measure our dicks!

Can't wait for everyone else's because music is a competition!
    That sounds great, Jeff. Being able to swing in that style like that is probably first on my list of things I wish I could do.

Can't shy out as OP - that would be a pussy move. Here's my ... . swing atm.
    all of me zzzwing.mp3 - Google Drive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Can't shy out as OP - that would be a pussy move. Here's my ... . swing atm.
    all of me zzzwing.mp3 - Google Drive
    Yeah man, you're swingin!

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Yeah man, you're swingin!
    Well, it's not ready but was closer to what I'm after. Got it that far with a few new tricks.
    Tried again yesterday but it went away. The school-band swing is back again. Would post it too but that
    would be depressing

User Info Menu

Yea... emanresu... not bad. Clean.

So again swing is about the triplet and subdivision. Peter... "the drive in the rhythm that makes it swing".... is the triplet and subdivision is the tool used to control the level of swing.

Also for the record... the post at 280 was just to show the possibilities of swing at that tempo. Not for the OP's sweet smooth bouncy swing.

Love Mr B's This I dig Of You... wonderful example of sweet smooth... bluesy. Love that tune, haven't played it in decades.

So another tool to help create the desired swing feel and sound.... is to use harmonic swing. By that I mean expanding the changes and Function within organization of Form.

Which is just having tonal targets withing the form and sections of the form. And Subdividing the harmony just like you subdivide the rhythm.

User Info Menu

Hey emanresu... you ever listen to Gene Harris or Monty Alexander Here's a few live examples of Gene

Thanks Reg!

Awesome examples with Harris. Besides the .."bounce", I can show those to people who think they hate all jazz

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg!

Awesome examples with Harris. Besides the .."bounce", I can show those to people who think they hate all jazz
    Your more than welcome, keep posting. It's almost like playing gigs.... really great for developing your Performance skills.... which reflect your technical skills. And you can keep track of what you like and what you don't.

yea Gene, the Bear, rest his soul has always been one of my favorites. I generally perform in that style... audience friendly... LOL. It's fun to perform when the audience gets involved... clapping and yelling. yesterday at a gig ... I was yelling at some of the bass solos... of course the audience always joins in.

On a personal note some of my most enjoyable gigs are when I only take a few solos.... but we, the rhythm section are just locked into grooves, swings latin etc...we let the soloist play their best and then raise that level of performance another notch. yea... still love that thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey emanresu... you ever listen to Gene Harris or Monty Alexander Here's a few live examples of Gene

That type of bluesy gospel piano would probably be considered by some as too hard swinging today. I never minded. I love blues and gospel. The kids from the jazz schools tell me "You sound so bluesy!". That comes from listening for decades to the roots ...

... of the soul jazz tree

(BTW I should listen to that Aretha gospel album more often again. Love that free floating phrasing over the band and choir. A ton to learn from. And did anybody recognize that long-haired British bloke in the last row ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Fan-f'ing-tastic! Love it! What axe you grinding there?
    That's my Heritage 575, my go to for straight ahead jazz playing for about 12 years now.

That guitar turns 28 this year. Man, I'm getting old.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    That type of bluesy gospel piano would probably be considered by some as too hard swinging today. I never minded. I love blues and gospel. The kids from the jazz schools tell me "You sound so bluesy!". That comes from listening for decades to the roots ...
    If you start trying to please other musicians you'll only let them down. 90% of guitarists watching you are jealous of your gig and the other 10% want to know what kind of strings you use or what's on your pedal board.

User Info Menu

Thanks Reg!

Harris was also in a group called The Three Sounds.