which is quite nice ….

whats another good ‘Lydian Tune’
    not just tunes that have Lydian chords in them

I need to play a few tunes that have
    melodies that feature that raised 4th

thanks all

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sid’s Ahead - melody (top note) starts with root, #4, 5.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Sid’s Ahead - Melody (top note) starts with root, #4, 5.

It's definitely #4 (or b5) but it sounds more like a blue note to me than Lydian.

User Info Menu

Well he asked for melodies with a raised fourth in them and that one lasts for almost a bar, it might help make the sound more familiar.

Of course there are tunes like Inner Urge, but the note tends to be very quick. At the moment I can’t think of many where the note is more prominent. There must be some though.

It might help just to play some of the chords repeatedly that use that sound (and make it the top note), that should make it sound more natural after a while. The Inner Urge chord progression would be an obvious choice for such an exercise.

User Info Menu

Singing it would help - sing the mode, but return to the root after every other note in the mode.

User Info Menu

As for Lydian tunes, I have a fondness for John McLaughlin's seminal classic Devotion, where at least three tunes are based on a Lydian vamp ('Marbles', 'Don't Let The Dragon Eat Your Mother' and the title track).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Singing it would help - sing the mode, but return to the root after every other note in the mode.
    +1

You could sing it from Fa at first. Lots of Fa La Do triads interspersed with Ti

Fa La Do Ti Re Do La Fa
    Fa Do Ti Do La Fa
    stuff like that.

Then start singing from Do (Re Mi Fi* Sol La Ti Do) and do similar things.

In addition to returning to the root (of Lydian) a lot, I’d probably return to Fi (#4) a lot too.

Can also help to play a bass note or shell voicing and sing extensions above it. Or play an upper structure (Bm or D) and sing the root (C) below it.

EDIT: I tend to find singing from Do with Fi easier, but that might be because I’m used to it. Most of the time when you teach a mode (relative minor, for example) you start with Do on the key center (so La-based minor). Not sure if that’s necessary, but it’s pretty typical.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Chorus

I hear the verse as lydian actually, but the first chord is mixolydian, so I think that’s what it is technically.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 01-06-2024 at 12:12 PM.

User Info Menu

It’s hard to track down a piece of music that entirely uses the Lydian…..

i mean

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hey... it helps to hear Lydian as a harmonic reference, rather than a melodic concept.... here's a vid of the real guitarist I made for this forum years ago...

User Info Menu

The opening quotes this -

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

Chorus

I hear the verse as lydian actually, but the first chord is mixolydian, so I think that’s what it is technically.
    Speaking of Lukather

I think we can agree the lydian is the most 1980s of all scales.

User Info Menu

This starts with a big stinking #11…

Sting loves a bit of Lydian…

Summat bit more applicable to the forum…

I think you need the harmony to initially help get the ear in the sound. B natural sounds different over Dm7 compared to FMaj7. Even a drone will do the trick.

Perhaps compose/blow over a ii V I and use the #11 on the I chord. Don’t be afraid to sit on the note.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

That helpful David Bennett chap has done a video

User Info Menu

Oh a little more high falutin

just the first phrase really in this case

That D/C type chord is often used in a major tonality, frequently as a way of modulating to the dominant (C D/C G/B Am7 D7 G for example), but it does have a distinctive modal character. For example, the first phase of this piece

Or this

or this

wow thanks all ….

thats given me plenty to
    play around with ….

User Info Menu

Yeah I find immersion the best way. You’ll hear it and then you’ll hear it everywhere. Sing the scale as well, as someone else suggested.

User Info Menu

First thing that occurs to me is to start with Lydian Dominant.

Play C to D9 (like the beginning of many tunes, eg Lucky Southern) and then play C to D7#11, like A Train. Maybe follow up with Dm7 G7 and make a loop.

Lydian (major, not dominant) is a bit more subtle (and very different harmonically from lydian dominant). I might spend some time with Blue In Green. For the first chord try x x 8 10 10 12, which gets the #11 on top, and it's got another in bar 5. Rinse and repeat with other tunes.

User Info Menu

For Lydian Dominant, see:

User Info Menu

Wouldn't Lydian ears be tattooed, like the rest of her?

I'll see myself out.