The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If I should Lose you, with my Gibson L4CES, double time triplets and theory-annotated

This is a run through of the jazz standard, If I should lose you. I recorded this for several purposes. Folks have asked me what my L4CES sounds like so I wanted to do a quick run through. The guitar needed a LOT of work when I first go tit but Bill Jancar took care of most of the problems. It needs a new nut because the original is super low and it's buzzing a lot but he'll take care of that soon.

But also, I am working on a new lesson for double time triplets (ala George Benson) so I wanted some examples to use for the lesson, ergo I am playing way more of that than I would normally play in the course of a standard take.

I wanted to annotate what I was doing in terms of harmonically and rhythmically so I have this video notated. Hopefully that is of some use to folks!

#georgebenson #sheetsofsound
    #jazzguitarlessons #guitarlessons
    #jazzguitar #modernjazzguitar #jazzguitarriffs
    #GibsonL4CES #triplets

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Groove is Great. The Sound is Great. The articulation is Great.

I just don't understand the term "Double Time Triplets".
    For me I hear simple eight-notes triplets, so 12 notes in one bar.

I think that "Double time triplets" are 3 notes over 1 eight....so 24 notes in one bar........very difficult to play at medium tempo....and almost impossible at fast tempo.

Happy Christmas!

Ettore

Quote Originally Posted by equenda
    The Groove is Great. The Sound is Great. The articulation is Great.

I just don't understand the term "Double Time Triplets".
    For me I hear simple eight-notes triplets, so 12 notes in one bar.

I think that "Double time triplets" are 3 notes over 1 eight....so 24 notes in one bar........very difficult to play at medium tempo....and almost impossible at fast tempo.

Happy Christmas!

Ettore
    it's not literally double-time. Double time is being used here as a symbol for doubling up the tempo but with triplets instead of 16th notes. Yes, i know it's mathematically incorrect...Happy Holidays to you too!

User Info Menu

Nice Jack!
    My pleasure to enjoy it and thank you for dishing it up!
    One of my favorite tunes.
    What backing track source is that please?

thanks, the backing track is from playjazztracks.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    thanks, the backing track is from playjazztracks.com
    Thanks Jack.