The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 83

User Info Menu

Inslired by princeplanet's "11 players" thread, here's a blues thread. Add yours below. As many as you like...I'm sure I'll do another.. No real parameters other than play the blues. Talk or not.

What am I trying here? I tried to see if I could go back to single notes after playing a chorus of chords. Not sure if it works.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice. I think the single notes were fine. All good stuff :-)

Well, if we can all join in... let's go. Can't wait.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Not sure if it works.
    Works nicely!
    (if you ask me).

User Info Menu

I liked that nice jump blues vibe and it is swingin'! The single notes make perfect sense to me. Right on!

User Info Menu

I’ve been working on a bunch of bebop junk lately, so here is Bloomdido:

User Info Menu

I don't know what I was doing here, probably a bit sleepy. Sorry!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Jeff, going from chords to single notes like that is a jump blues staple. Sounds good.

User Info Menu

Thelonius Monk, Lightning Hopkins and Marc Ribot walk into a bar …

User Info Menu

Yes, I liked that! And you look suitably teeed off too. Outstanding

Are we supposed to be doing this solo? Jeff did and you did. I'm wondering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Yes, I liked that! And you look suitably teeed off too. Outstanding

Are we supposed to be doing this solo? Jeff did and you did. I'm wondering.
    I think the rules are flexible. I did it solo because I was trying to be spontaneous.

User Info Menu

You were spontaneous!

User Info Menu

Here's a video I did some years ago, in which I was mainly practicing comping on minor blues changes (in 6/8)

Last edited by frabarmus; 11-23-2023 at 01:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Thought I'd throw in a little eclectic "blues suite" .

User Info Menu

Strange, I thought everyone would be piling in with their bluesy stuff, seeing as how everyone loves the blues :-)

Thought I'd resurrect this one, see what happened. So cold here today. Tell me if it's not loud enough and I'll change it.

User Info Menu

Strange, I thought everyone would be piling in with their bluesy stuff, seeing as how everyone loves the blues :-)

Thought I'd resurrect this one, see what happened. So cold here today. Tell me if it's not loud enough and I'll change it.

Nice melodic solo!

User Info Menu

Here's mine, such as it is -

User Info Menu

Three of my favorite Blues styles: A kind of straight ahead jazz blues, an in between Scofield style, and the last one more straight blues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Here's mine, such as it is -

Nice! I like the way you toss in bits of the head in the solo.

User Info Menu

I recently got a new amp (Quilter Aviator Cub). This was mainly an experiment with my phone and a USB mic. As far as the playing goes, I made up a head on the fly and just tried to stay in the groove.

The sound was much fuller and less distorted in the room, so I guess I need to work on that. The playing was just as distorted in the room. Probably need to work on that too

User Info Menu

John -

I don't know much about this stuff but it seems to me that there's much less reverb on this one than your other one. Whether that's something to do with the room or your settings I couldn't say.

User Info Menu

Swear I won’t just recycle old stuff, but I posted this one a few days ago. With a buddy of mine … we gig pretty regularly as a guitar duo.

Last edited by pamosmusic; 11-25-2023 at 04:14 PM.

User Info Menu

John -

I don't know much about this stuff but it seems to me that there's much less reverb on this one than your other one. Whether that's something to do with the room or your settings I couldn't say.
    Nice playing though, some of it reminded me of ideas you might hear an organist play - those repeated notes, for example...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I recently got a new amp (Quilter Aviator Cub). This was mainly an experiment with my phone and a USB mic. As far as the playing goes, I made up a head on the fly and just tried to stay in the groove.

The sound was much fuller and less distorted in the room, so I guess I need to work on that. The playing was just as distorted in the room. Probably need to work on that too

I have one of the now defunct Aviator combo amps and it’s awesome.

User Info Menu

John -

On the other one, I was playing through a different amp that I guess had the reverb turned up higher. I also recorded that with the phone's internal mic. That one also doesn't sound the way it did in the room (because the phone picks up acoustic sound of that guitar disproportionately loud), which is why I decided to try something different. It's a work in progress I have yet to get a fully satisfying sound mic'ing an amp at home.

Quote Originally Posted by James W
    Nice playing though, some of it reminded me of ideas you might hear an organist play - those repeated notes, for example...
    Thanks.