The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 83

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Three of my favorite Blues styles: A kind of straight ahead jazz blues, an in between Scofield style, and the last one more straight blues

Fun stuff! You really nailed the Sco vibe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    On the other one, I was playing through a different amp that I guess had the reverb turned up higher. I also recorded that with the phone's internal mic. That one also doesn't sound the way it did in the room (because the phone picks up acoustic sound of that guitar disproportionately loud), which is why I decided to try something different. It's a work in progress I have yet to get a fully satisfying sound mic'ing an amp at home.
    Well, I realised something was (only vaguely) missing when I was listening to it but I made adjustments. I put the reverb in mentally and it was actually not a bad sound at all. Nice and clear. I thought you sounded quite at home with it. Put it this way, it looks like the amp was a good move and a definite winner.

User Info Menu

Last edited by A. Kingstone; 01-14-2024 at 02:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Well, I realised something was (only vaguely) missing when I was listening to it but I made adjustments. I put the reverb in mentally and it was actually not a bad sound at all. Nice and clear. I thought you sounded quite at home with it. Put it this way, it looks like the amp was a good move and a definite winner.
    It’s a great sounding amp, and I’m very happy with it. But honestly the recording quality does not reflect how it sounds very well.

User Info Menu

Yes, that's what I felt. You can hear it. I'm glad you're happy with it. Nothing worse than something expensive and important that you're not happy with.

User Info Menu

Here's a bit more blues. Cannes look out.

User Info Menu

That's a riot!

User Info Menu

Heartbreaking, John, heartbreaking :-)

What was in the bottle?

User Info Menu

Heartbreaking, John, heartbreaking :-)

What was in the bottle?
    Oblivion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Three of my favorite Blues styles: A kind of straight ahead jazz blues, an in between Scofield style, and the last one more straight blues

smokin chord work on greasy..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus;[URL="tel:1299845"
    1299845[/URL]]Here's a video I did some years ago, in which I was mainly practicing comping on minor blues changes (in 6/8)

Loving that man
    sounds fabulous ….
    What tuning are you using there ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Loving that man
    sounds fabulous ….
    What tuning are you using there ?
    Thanks man!

DAEGAB

P.S. I've posted about it in the alternate tunings thread (post #61)
    Alternate Guitar Tunings?
    Last edited by frabarmus; 12-15-2023 at 08:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Oh well, as you're all at it, here's Hard Times by Ray Charles. Nice tune. I didn't swing it much for some reason, not sure why.

User Info Menu

Couple years ago:

User Info Menu

Well, I've done my shopping so I may as well do something like this.

I think I prefer a blues with a decent tune because it gives you something to aim at. You know, if you just launch into the usual Bb blues - again - it all comes out a bit cliched, generic, rather tedious, so here's a tune.

I should have played the fingerstyle bit at the beginning as the tune but I forgot, sorry. It's come out like an accompaniment rather than the tune but it'll have to do, I'm not going to do it again.

That's it, really. The quality's super spiffing as usual, one of the worst so far, so I can only say have fun and happy Xmas. You've already got an Xmas song, I've put Silent Night somewhere else on the forum so you can't complain. But you probably will :-)

User Info Menu

I liked your tune.

I think I prefer a blues with a decent tune because it gives you something to aim at.
    That is nice to have a bluez with a good tune to it. It helps with inspiration and the flow of musicality.

You know, if you just launch into the usual Bb blues - again - it all comes out a bit cliched, generic, rather tedious.
    I'm still going down with the ship with working generic bluezes. I think you have to be able to employ the traditional workings of blues and if you can't do that, ur not doin it good enough lol.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 12-20-2023 at 08:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd have liked it better if it was nice and clear! Oh, well :-)

User Info Menu

A simple Blues here, creating a bit of tension with pentatonics.

Last edited by BradGuitar; 12-23-2023 at 02:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradGuitar
    A simple Blues here, creating a bit off tension with pentatonics.
    I like how you spelled out what you’re doing in the video. Really shows how this doesn’t have to be complicated to sound good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I like how you spelled out what you’re doing in the video. Really shows how this doesn’t have to be complicated to sound good.
    Thanks! I like the idea of keeping things, if not simple… then at least straight forward. Sometimes I think the Pentatonic scale gets a bad rap, there’s so much mileage in it.

User Info Menu

Here's a bit of blues in Eb. It's definitely what it is.

User Info Menu

Same concept, different vibe - more Robben/Larry...

User Info Menu

Great, but it's not jazz.

User Info Menu

Coulda fooled me.

User Info Menu

Great, but it's not jazz.
    I'm sure he wouldn't claim it is, but it is some tasty rock/blues playing with some some jazzy "outside" moments