The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Good Day! I've spent time learning the first 3 etudes of both the blues and modern blues in Joe Pass's lauded Style book. I'm wondering how others who've done the same approached incorporating that material into their own improvisation?

Also, how influential were the etudes for your growth as a player?

Finally, I've these 6 etudes in the hopper and will move on to the minor blues soon. Any other material from the book you may have found useful?

Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jens Larsen made a video about that book and how he used the material given there.

Hey thanks! I've watched this video in the past but obviously not at the right time. Crazy how sometimes one needs to come up with a question first before a solution will make proper sense! Again thank you. I will take Mr. Larsen's advice to heart and hit the notes with renewed spirit.

To start, I'll grab measure long ideas and internalize them by playing over relevant changes in as many keys as possible. A lot of material here then in this vein. I will definitely watch this video again after I've got this stuff down as straight 8th notes, as Mr. Pass recommends, to tackle the rhythmic hints that lie therein. Excellent! I really needed this video (again).

Cheers