The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I just came across this playlist of Charles McPherson teaching a sax student. I am impressed (as I have already been every time I listened to interviews with him) how clearly he put things in a nutshell. The guy is over 80 years old ... Some things are sax specific, but many things apply to other instruments as well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

once sat directly in front of him. his sound was as huge a a house. it gave you an idea how bird might have sounded live.

User Info Menu

It seems like it isn't possible to embed a YT playlist into a forum post here. There are seven videos worth watching. Click on the YouTube logo in the lower right corner and the video will open on the YouTube website. The following parts will be offered in the sidebar.
    Last edited by Bop Head; 08-27-2023 at 02:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Actually this is something I heard in blues and rock guitar - the great players always play their vibrato in time. Of course blues guys might use a wider vibrato, but this is a basic principle.

In jazz it’s more subtle. I like to use one.

User Info Menu

Wasn’t he a Barry Harris disciple?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    Yep. One of the first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Petimar
    In interviews McPherson always stresses that he learned from Harris more than just musical things. Harris insisted that the a few years younger McPherson became a good student in school and and an intellectual and sparked his interest in Literature, Arts and Science.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    It seems like it isn't possible to embed a YT playlist into a forum post here. There are seven videos worth watching. Click on the YouTube logo in the lower right corner and the video will open on the YouTube website. The following parts will be offered in the sidebar.
    Or use this to go straight to the 7-video playlist:

https://tinyurl.com/4mf3ae3d