The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lesson - Improving your rock/fusion-one chord soloing with one move! (Ebmin over Gmin)

In this lesson, I'm going to show you can improve your one chord soloing with a single move. Over a single chord like Gm7, you'll be adding a superimposed V chord (D7). But what you play over that chord is important and to get tension and resolution, you will be playing over the V chord as an Alt chord. That is b9 #9 #4 #5.

It sounds complicated but you'll be thinking of Eb minor. I happen to like Eb Melodic minor but you can use any type of eb melodic minor including Eb Blues scale, Eb min 6 pentatonic, or my favorite, Eb min9 Maj7 pentatonic.

Analyzed from the root of the D7 you have 1 #9 3 #5 b7.

But try not to think in terms of alterations. It's hard to play anything natural like that. Just think in terms of superimposing Ebmin over the Gm7 in order to create tension. Work with it, playing it over a loop and get familiar with the sounds. Utilize some of the ideas I show you in this lesson and come up with some of your own too.

Let me know what you come up with so I can learn too.

Love you guys, and thanks for the support!

Jaz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This may be too basic, but here's an idea on the topic of playing minor pentatonics over a minor chord, say Dm7.

You could of course play D minor pentatonic, but going around the circle of fifths in either direction, there are five rather consonant minor pentatonics you can play over Dm7:

Arranged bright to dark:
    E minor pentatonic: E G A B D
    A minor pentatonic: A C D E G
    D minor pentatonic: D F G A C
    G minor pentatonic: G Bb C D F
    C minor pentatonic: C Eb F G Bb

There's one one note difference between adjacent pents in that list, but that's not my point here.

My idea (and probably nothing new) is that there are three pairs of pents a whole step apart:
    E <-> D
    A <-> G
    D <-> C

using them you can take the side step idea one more step, for example G pent -> Ab pent -> A pent. Inside, outside, back inside!

Yeah, those are good. I was thinking of doing something like that too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    This may be too basic, but here's an idea on the topic of playing minor pentatonics over a minor chord, say Dm7.

You could of course play D minor pentatonic, but going around the circle of fifths in either direction, there are five rather consonant minor pentatonics you can play over Dm7:

Arranged bright to dark:
    E minor pentatonic: E G A B D
    A minor pentatonic: A C D E G
    D minor pentatonic: D F G A C
    G minor pentatonic: G Bb C D F
    C minor pentatonic: C Eb F G Bb

There's one one note difference between adjacent pents in that list, but that's not my point here.

My idea (and probably nothing new) is that there are three pairs of pents a whole step apart:
    E <-> D
    A <-> G
    D <-> C

using them you can take the side step idea one more step, for example G pent -> Ab pent -> A pent. Inside, outside, back inside!

User Info Menu

"Juice notes." I like that. I'm never going to be as facile on guitar as I am on other instruments, so explanations and illustrations like these help me skinny down on music more than technique.