The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Lesson - Simple Polyrhythms for inside/outside playing

In this lesson we focus on a few things that we learned in the side stepping pentatonics lessons but played in a different harmonic rhythm. Instead of playing in note groupings of 4, we are playing in note groupings of 3 and 5, effectively creating polyrhythms through accents.

These are very simple, don't require any math or calculations and you will be able to adapt them to your playing right away.

To create the polyrhythm, we are playing with note groupings.

A few things we cover in this lesson:

1) patterns of 3 and played as 8th notes
    2) Patterns of 4 played as triplets
    2) Patterns of alternating 3 and 2 played as 8th notes
    3) Patterns of alternating 3 and 2 played as triplets

These are all very simple but give a unique, polyrhythmic feel and propulsion to your playing.

Big shout out to my mentor, Paul Bollenback who is an absolute beast and master of this material.

As always, I offer these lessons so that we may both learn and grow. I've been playing jazz guitar for 51 years so I hope I can pay back and pay forward what I have learned.

Love all of you and I couldn't do this without your support.

Humbly yours,

Jaz

Last edited by jzucker; 08-11-2023 at 08:35 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great really love it Im working on side slipping pentatonic right now after seeing your earlier vid. Thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by Heybopper
    Great really love it Im working on side slipping pentatonic right now after seeing your earlier vid. Thanks so much
    Awesome. I'm glad the material is of use to people. I'm so used to posting here and not getting any feedback. I learn a lot doing these videos and its nice to now others are getting something out of it!