The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    It was two statements.

1. I like your version of Fly me to the moon.

2. When you practice like this do you set the amount of loops ahead of time?
    Thank you.
    When I practice without recording, I play eg. loop for an hour and practice at different tempos.
    When I record I try to concentrate on fewer loops.
    I'm trying to be more musical and I'll give the structure of the whole solo.
    It gives me a lot to listen to versions of other musicians - not necessarily guitar players.
    Best
    kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    WHAT IS THIS CONTRAPTION?

(Referring to the guitar, of course. Lovely playing too.)
    Frameworks modern classical guitar.
    thanks
    Best
    kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDunlop
    Anyways if you want to become a good player Kris, you should listen to Lord Reg. I saw his videos and I am very impressed. I think he is the man for you (and for anyone else) So better talk with him.
    I mean he is a legend here...I wish I was at his level, but well who can? When he speaks the rest should shut up and follow whatever he says
    I've known Reg for 10 years.
    He is very helpful to everyone on the forum.
    He is also an authority in jazz guitar music - he plays excellently and has great knowledge in the subject of improvisation.
    People like Reg are the pearls of this forum..
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AaronMColeman
    Dig it. I've been really digging into "fly me to the moon" this week. It's a much different take than mine (mine is far more straight forward and uses the melody notes more often as well). I like yours a lot, my only suggestion is to pull a bit more of the melody in from time to time. I hear it around 2:30ish or so, but not much reference to the original melody throughout...Not necessary but to me pulling the melody in keeps casual listeners more engaged, gives them some reference points for what you're doing the rest of the time. Or maybe I just do that for a phrase or two when I'm out of ideas and need 10 seconds to think
    Thank you.
    Certainly intelligent use of the melody of the theme in improvisation is something good.
    It's all good if done in a musical and intelligent way.
    best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Hey Kris...

Thanks for all you do and say... but man we're the same. Your a wonderful musician, and I wouldn't consider my playing any better than yours.... We're different... hell your better, I dig your solos.

I might have thicker skin...LOL (maybe).

Keep posting.... as you know, jazz is 99% about playing not talking about it.

User Info Menu

Well this thread got weird quickly, then righted itself just as fast

Always enjoy your playing, Kris-- and I liked your FMTTM a lot!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Practise session with my stratocaster...:_

Box
    Nice feeling!

I know a lot of people don't like to be compared to other guitarists, anyway: it reminded me, to some extent, of Mark Whitfield (especially 1:27 - 1:35 and 1:58 - 2:11); Is he an influence, by any chance? Do you like him?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Nice feeling!

I know a lot of people don't like to be compared to other guitarists, anyway: it reminded me, to some extent, of Mark Whitfield (especially 1:27 - 1:35 and 1:58 - 2:11); Is he an influence, by any chance? Do you like him?
    Thanks.
    Mark Whitfield-I really like his playing, I've been to two of his concerts.Great guitarist.
    But I didn't copy his licks....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Thanks.
    But I didn't copy his licks....
    I didn't think you copied his licks... just the overall "feeling" and "pronunciation", so to speak, made me think of MW, especially in a couple of faster phrases...
    Being influenced and copying are different things. And of course that was my personal "hearing"... others might disagree with me, or hear other influences (we all, inevitably, have some). It sounded to my ears as if you've absorbed some of MW's feel, whether consciously or subconsciously (which, to me, means you are a good listener, which is paramount for being a good player).

User Info Menu

Thank you all for nice comments...Fly Me To The Moon...;-)