The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is for piano but the the general things apply to all instruments and some of the pianistic stuff could be adapted for guitar as well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's not true lol! Phrasing is the grouping of notes into ideas. Articulation is how the rhythm is delivered.

User Info Menu

I’m really coming to appreciate Glenn Zaleski’s videos, he has his own take on things.

User Info Menu

He’s a monster. He used to come with Colin Stranahan and Rick Rosato to a jazz club where I worked.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    That's not true lol! Phrasing is the grouping of notes into ideas. Articulation is how the rhythm is delivered.
    Phrasing is a term that has existed in classical music theory [sic!] for a long time before jazz was ever thought of and relates to interpreting the finished ideas of others as well. BTW an organ (applies to the huge church organs as well) cannot phrase because of the way the sound is generated (on - off) according to classical theory ...

Here is a short example of how deep you can go working on phrasing ...

... for a worthwhile result:

Last edited by Bop Head; 07-11-2023 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Phrasing is a term that has existed in classical music theory [sic!] for a long time before jazz was ever thought of and relates to interpreting the finished ideas of others as well
    Yeah this is a good point.

After a student has the notes under their fingers, we work on interpretation and that’s always been called “phrasing” in my classical lessons. So that’s what I call it with classical students. In jazz there is obviously the additional component of ordering the notes, but the rest of that stuff (articulation) is part of phrasing too.