The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 84

User Info Menu

In which djg confuses the shit out of everyone by spelling the altered scale correctly…

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    because you cant have more than one 9 in a chord.
    I've seen chords like 7b9#9.

No idea what it is but I've seen it. C E G Bb Db Eb I suppose?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I've seen chords like 7b9#9.

No idea what it is but I've seen it. C E G Bb Db Eb I suppose?

i've seen people eat spaghetti with fork and knife. doesnt make it right.

User Info Menu

Alphabet rule gang represent

User Info Menu

Still the extendsd chord for the altered scale (more properly superlocrian in this spelling) is

1 b3 b5 b7 b9 b11 b13

and I’m not sure how much use that is to anyone

Can a chord have two thirds if not two ninths??? Ahahahaa

User Info Menu

i've seen people eat spaghetti with fork and knife. doesnt make it right.
    Maybe, but I've still seen them.

7b9#9

7b9#9#11

7b9#9#11b13

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Maybe, but I've still seen them.

7b9#9

7b9#9#11

7b9#9#11b13
    Not sure I’ve ever seen them, but I play them. I really like Bbm7 over G7. From the altered scale … so it has Bb and Ab, #9 and b9 respectively.

Never been a huge fan of rules though, so no idea if I’m technically supposed to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Not sure I’ve ever seen them, but I play them. I really like Bbm7 over G7. From the altered scale … so it has Bb and Ab, #9 and b9 respectively.

Never been a huge fan of rules though, so no idea if I’m technically supposed to.
    nobody said you cant play them, lol.

but if it's a #9 why dont you call it A#?

User Info Menu

nobody said you cant play them, lol.

but if it's a #9 why dont you call it A#?
    Comes from the Ab Melodic Minor. So just a matter of how you’re thinking about it. I’m usually thinking of it as a Bb minor 7, using an upper structure. So in that context, and in the context of Ab melodic minor, it’s a Bb. In the context of the chord it’s an A#.

Don’t particularly care either way I guess.

User Info Menu

#9 notated as b3 is very common (wrong or right).
    Best guess: the roots of this practice is likely connected to a blues scale played against dominant 7ths more than an altered scale derivation.

C Eb F Gb G Bb

Likewise, these days we most often label Gb(b5) as F#(#11)
    So, where does this leave us.....

User Info Menu

Next up - people who write Ebm7 Ab7 Dbmaj7 Bmaj7 in charts

Actually I really don’t have a problem with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bako
    #9 notated as b3 is very common (wrong or right).
    Best guess: the roots of this practice is likely connected to a blues scale played against dominant 7ths more than an altered scale derivation.

C Eb F Gb G Bb

Likewise, these days we most often label Gb(b5) as F#(#11)
    So, where does this leave us.....
    Those two would be different chords though. The #11 implies that there’s a fifth in it that is something else. The b5 would imply that there isn’t. So F# with a sharp11 tells me it’s a major triad with a sharp 11. So there’s a B# and a C# in that chord.

And in general for reading stuff I’m pro whatever makes actually reading the pitches easier. Like the melody to the B section of Green Dolphin street, where the tensions would be a b9 then a #9 on the V chord, down to the fifth of the tonic chord.

Reading two pitches on the space above the second line, one with a sharp and one with a flat, would be tricky to read. Having Bb then Ab then G would be a more seamless read for whoever has to sit with the music.

Edit: had the order of those various 9s wrong.

User Info Menu

It’s definitely a b3/b10 tho.

b3 is blues, #9 is what happens when you forget about the blues

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    It’s definitely a b3/b10 tho.

b3 is blues, #9 is what happens when you forget about the blues
    Talking about Green Dolphin?

User Info Menu

Comes from the Ab Melodic Minor. So just a matter of how you’re thinking about it. I’m usually thinking of it as a Bb minor 7, using an upper structure. So in that context, and in the context of Ab melodic minor, it’s a Bb. In the context of the chord it’s an A#.

Don’t particularly care either way I guess.
    Ab melodic minor my arse

The inert Tritone...-6df1260d-3172-454e-94c9-19b03e0eb66e-jpeg

jazz guys! You can put minor thirds on dominant chords!!! I’m sure there’s a name for it somewhere ;-)

User Info Menu

Ab melodic minor my arse

The inert Tritone...-6df1260d-3172-454e-94c9-19b03e0eb66e-jpeg

jazz guys! You can put minor thirds on dominant chords!!! I’m sure there’s a name for it somewhere ;-)
    Context, baby. Context. I did call it the Bb when I was saying I liked playing it as part of a Bbm7 arpeggio over the G altered. So it’s an upper structure from … the Ab Melodic minor.

How dare you presume to tell me how to over-intellectualize my own music!

I can do that fine on my own, thank you very much.

User Info Menu

Talking about Green Dolphin?
    The famous ‘#9-b9-1’ (well b9-#9-1) move on V which the Jazz Industrial Complex would have us believe has something to do with the altered scale….

User Info Menu

The famous ‘#9-b9-1’ (well b9-#9-1) move on V which the Jazz Industrial Complex would have us believe has something to do with the altered scale….
    I mean yeah you’re right on this one.

Don’t go all “Jazz Industrial Complex” on me though.

Full disclosure, Melodic Minor in general is like …….. my favorite sound. Altered stuff, 9#11, augmented major 7, minor with the six and b9. Alllllll good stuff.

User Info Menu

Context, baby. Context. I did call it the Bb when I was saying I liked playing it as part of a Bbm7 arpeggio over the G altered. So it’s an upper structure from … the Ab Melodic minor.
    Bbm7… or why not Bbminor pent? Also known as Db major pent. Also known as, well, a tritone sub.

By the way the Ab melodic minor pitches are spelt intervallically from the perspective of G - 1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 - so I’m not sure that helps haha. I’m sure there’s some arse somewhere insisting that you really hear the #9 instead of the b3 and so on…

How dare you presume to tell me how to over-intellectualize my own music!
    hahaha

So joking aside… I have a complicated relationship with the altered scale. I also tend to get IRRATIONALLY TRIGGERED when people talk about scales parenting chords. Not sure why, I should look into it.

My feeling is that altered scale is kind of a chimera type creature - you know, body of a tritone scale, head of a whole tone scale, another head of a diminished scale, the left leg of a blue note on a dominant, that sort of thing. That’s probably why when you start digging you run into all kind of oddities.

It’s convenient, but I also feel that some very nice things on dominants get swept under the rug due to people jaunt defaulting to altered all the time
    - old school diatonic minor playing on dominants
    - use of the backdoor on major key dominants
    - the dominant II scale - using IV melodic minor on V7
    - the use of major sevenths on dominants due to tritone subs etc
    - everyone knows the correct scale on 7#9 is the blues scale but we get programmed out of it
    and above all
    - this infantile requirement that the notes in the scale match up with the notes in the chord for neat pedagogy. There is of course no reason one can’t play a minor scale (phrygian or locrian say) on a dominant chord and even Levine mentions this… This is handled in a different way in chord scale but I think it gets everyone to wrapped up in the ‘right notes’ early on and I don’t like it.

BAH! Rant over…

So - b10!!! The altered scale too is kind of minor…

Vm7b5 Imaj7 is a nice resolution - Bb->B
    Also Jordan has an Eb triad on G7#5#9 doesn’t he? The B is a tension tone.

User Info Menu

I think there’s a sidebar about using upper structures with no tritones to evoke colours of the altered dominant. The Eb/G7 is one - the Bbm pent on G7 is another…

The question I find is I’m not sure if of these tritone-less colours can actually be heard as altered dominant. Now of course no one in their right mind actually cares, but it’s something I like to think about…

User Info Menu

I mean yeah you’re right on this one.

Full disclosure, Melodic Minor in general is like …….. my favorite sound. Altered stuff, 9#11, augmented major 7, minor with the six and b9. Alllllll good stuff.
    I like melodic minor too, but hot take - the altered scale is NOT really a melodic minor mode. It is not really like the others. What works brilliantly for a lydian dominant, lydian augmented or a locrian #2 does not work as well for an altered context and vice versa. This is due to the respelling required to make it applicable on dominants which mucks up the arrangement of the upper structure.

Edit - by which I mean you don’t really get that b5 pungency which to me really makes the altered sound different from minor key stuff.

OTOH stuff that gives you that in altered doesn’t really translate that well to other MM modes.

EDIT - so one note, the major seventh of the MM is EVERY characteristic MM note on every common application… save one
    maj7 of Cm NOICE
    #11 of F7 (Cm) LURVELLY
    Nat9 of Am7b5 (Cm) GORGEOUS
    13th of D13sus4b9 VERY NICE
    Root???? of B7alt (Cm). Ah FFS
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 06-29-2023 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Bbm7… or why not Bbminor pent? Also known as Db major pent. Also known as, well, a tritone sub.

By the way the Ab melodic minor pitches are spelt intervallically from the perspective of G - 1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 - so I’m not sure that helps haha. I’m sure there’s some arse somewhere insisting that you really hear the #9 instead of the b3 and so on…

hahaha

So joking aside… I have a complicated relationship with the altered scale. I also tend to get IRRATIONALLY TRIGGERED when people talk about scales parenting chords. Not sure why, I should look into it.

My feeling is that altered scale is kind of a chimera type creature - you know, body of a tritone scale, head of a whole tone scale, another head of a diminished scale, the left leg of a blue note on a dominant, that sort of thing. That’s probably why when you start digging you run into all kind of oddities.

It’s convenient, but I also feel that some very nice things on dominants get swept under the rug due to people jaunt defaulting to altered all the time
    - old school diatonic minor playing on dominants
    - use of the backdoor on major key dominants
    - the dominant II scale - using IV melodic minor on V7
    - the use of major sevenths on dominants due to tritone subs etc
    - everyone knows the correct scale on 7#9 is the blues scale but we get programmed out of it
    and above all
    - this infantile requirement that the notes in the scale match up with the notes in the chord for neat pedagogy. There is of course no reason one can’t play a minor scale (phrygian or locrian say) on a dominant chord and even Levine mentions this… This is handled in a different way in chord scale but I think it gets everyone to wrapped up in the ‘right notes’ early on and I don’t like it.

BAH! Rant over…

So - b10!!! The altered scale too is kind of minor…

Vm7b5 Imaj7 is a nice resolution - Bb->B
    Also Jordan has an Eb triad on G7#5#9 doesn’t he? The B is a tension tone.
    Hmm yeah that makes sense. I like thinking of scales parenting chords because it gives me a way to access a bunch of upper extensions and stuff, but it gets dangerous when you get too locked into it.

Like for the back door ii-V, I really like the 9#11 sound, so melodic minor gives me lots of options for making that sound happen. But also it doesn’t mean the whole ii-V is in that “tonality” and it doesn’t mean the scale itself will sound good over the V chord etc etc.

So it’s a good tool and suits the way I think well I guess.

User Info Menu

Might this be one reason Mike Stern teaches the altered scale as its own thing, not simply melodic minor up a half step I wonder

Ooh another thing before I finally do something else… you can find Abm(maj7) in C harmonic minor… which I find interesting. You get Abm9(maj7) if you combine it with the C natural minor which is a little stretch maybe (I think this note comes from the tritone sub really - subbing a Db13 for G7). Point is - these scales aren’t far apart and a lot of it is in one note. The differentiating sound between a Galtered scale and simply playing C minor on G7 is that b5. If it don’t got it, I don’t hear altered, I hear minor - and it’s kind of interesting how many applications of altered scale don’t have that note…
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 06-29-2023 at 02:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Hmm yeah that makes sense. I like thinking of scales parenting chords because it gives me a way to access a bunch of upper extensions and stuff, but it gets dangerous when you get too locked into it.

Like for the back door ii-V, I really like the 9#11 sound, so melodic minor gives me lots of options for making that sound happen. But also it doesn’t mean the whole ii-V is in that “tonality” and it doesn’t mean the scale itself will sound good over the V chord etc etc.

So it’s a good tool and suits the way I think well I guess.
    you’d probably enjoy the Warne marsh dominant II scale if you haven’t checked it out

Yeah, let's just call it the JIC and make it simpler for everyone ...

Speaking of simpler, simpletons like me will probably stick to #9/b9, apologies if that offends anyone!