The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all, I currently play guitar in a small 20s/30s style Jazz band. I am the only member of the rhythm section. I would like to take a solo break by myself in order to take the pressure off our trombonist (only lead instrument) for a bit. The difficult thing is keeping the swing and feel going at the same time!

So basically I would like to know of any written transcriptions for 'block chord' soloing such as that used by Snoozer Quinn, Frank Victor etc so that I can learn to improvise while still playing the chords? I understand it is mostly just different inversions with melody notes on top but I'd like some transcribed examples please!

Snoozer Quinns 'Out of Nowhere' 1948 recording is pretty much exactly what I would like to play.

I am aware of the Alan Reuss method that Jonathan Stout plays very well and I have used his videos to learn certain bits. I also have the Masters of Plectrum Guitar book which has a few useful arrangements for this type of thing but it doesn't tell you what chord the harmony is supposed to be representing. I can make an educated guess but some of the shapes used could be inversions of lots of things.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Matt Munisteri’s “Roots of jazz guitar” course on Peghead Nation covers this topic very well.

User Info Menu

If you are the only rhythm instrument and the trombone is the only lead, is this a duo?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    If you are the only rhythm instrument and the trombone is the only lead, is this a duo?
    We have vocals which I suppose is sort of a lead instrument and we have percussion which is part of the rhythm section but it doesn't add anything harmonically to aid my solo guitar so I didn't include it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Matt Munisteri’s “Roots of jazz guitar” course on Peghead Nation covers this topic very well.
    Thanks, I'll check that out!

User Info Menu

+1 on Matt Munisteri’s course. Also try to find his “get a grip” pdf — it is part of the course. Also, I like McNeill’s modern guitar; here is Rob MacKillop’s post about it: McNeil’s Modern Guitar Method (1930) – ArchtopGuitar.net