The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

This whole discussion is one reason why jazz musicians find Zen Buddhism helpful. There’s a garden in Kyoto….

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It is written in the ancient scrolls that the day someone plays a perfect solo, the world will end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    There are often so-called takes of the same tune on studio recordings of great musicians.
    take nr 1, take nr 2 etc.There are mistakes in some versions of these takes - maybe that's it?
    I've got several Jackie McLean albums with alternative takes and I confirm, they are mistakes or technical problems, squeaky reed, the solo begins and the energy goes away or a wonderful solo, great energy but a bit out of tune or wrong timing.
    They play the head but nobody agrees how it should be played.
    A lot of defects but it's good if you listen to the whole track because it's authentic.

User Info Menu

Though I appreciate his playing now Johnny Smith annoyed me when I first heard him because he made no mistakes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    It is written in the ancient scrolls that the day someone plays a perfect solo, the world will end.
    Or, more hopefully, that it will pass into a higher level of being. Namaste!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    Though I appreciate his playing now Johnny Smith annoyed me when I first heard him because he made no mistakes.
    I believe it is on record that Johnny Smith insisted that his music was not jazz. But he did come up with some of the loveliest arrangements ever, and the beauty of his voicings and lines have inspired countless aspiring musicians, regardless. My opinion is that he is jazz man "by acclimation." Who would not consider it an honor to share a bill with Mr Smith?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I believe it is on record that Johnny Smith insisted that his music was not jazz. But he did come up with some of the loveliest arrangements ever, and the beauty of his voicings and lines have inspired countless aspiring musicians, regardless. My opinion is that he is jazz man "by acclimation." Who would not consider it an honor to share a bill with Mr Smith?
    Smith said something a little different from that -- he said he didn't consider himself to be a jazz player, not that his music wasn't jazz (some of which was and some of which was not). Here's a quote to that effect:

“I was involved in so many different types of music over my career, so I never could consider myself a jazz guitar player. You know, the great jazz players, they’re just involved with jazz. And I think to excel in something you do have to give it full attention. Furthermore, I was never much of a jam-session guitarist. Everything I did was done with a definite outline, especially for harmony. It wasn’t my idea that I was categorized as a jazz player; that was the record company’s idea. I’m a guitar player, and I consider myself a musician who can improvise a little bit. That doesn’t make me a jazz player, like a totally dedicated jazz player like Jimmy Raney. Some people say I’m being facetious by not categorizing myself as a jazz player, but that’s how I honestly feel.”

I can hear this in Smith's music. For instance the contrast between him and Getz is pretty stark (in a good way, but definitely a different harmonic and rhythmic concept), whereas Getz and Raney seem much more to be occupants of the same universe.
    Last edited by John A.; 02-24-2022 at 06:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Smith said something a little different from that -- he said he didn't consider himself to be a jazz player because, not that his music wasn't jazz (some of which was and some of which was not). Here's a quote to that effect:

“I was involved in so many different types of music over my career, so I never could consider myself a jazz guitar player. You know, the great jazz players, they’re just involved with jazz. And I think to excel in something you do have to give it full attention. Furthermore, I was never much of a jam-session guitarist. Everything I did was done with a definite outline, especially for harmony. It wasn’t my idea that I was categorized as a jazz player; that was the record company’s idea. I’m a guitar player, and I consider myself a musician who can improvise a little bit. That doesn’t make me a jazz player, like a totally dedicated jazz player like Jimmy Raney. Some people say I’m being facetious by not categorizing myself as a jazz player, but that’s how I honestly feel.”

I can hear this in Smith's music. For instance the contrast between him and Getz is pretty stark (in a good way, but definitely a different harmonic and rhythmic concept), whereas Getz and Raney seem much more to be occupants of the same universe.
    Thanks very much for the clarification! I appreciate it.

User Info Menu

I'm glad to hear I wasn't just being a tight ass when I first heard Smith.

An incredible musician.