Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Posts 151 to 171 of 171

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mayrandp
    This is my first participation in one of these virtual jams:

I really appreciate these threads every week. Personally, I find it interesting to listen to the different versions, to read about the approaches and opinions on these various jazz compositions.
    Cool playing.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It's gone quiet, hasn't it? Are we played out on it?

Here's my last blast before we get another tune tomorrow. Don't forget, I'm not in charge, not critiquing, not moderating, just posting the tunes up.

I think the notes on this are good. It's slow, as befits my dignity, and essentially pentatonic-based. That probably produces the best sounds. I tried playing it like a standard with b9's and altered sounds but it doesn't really work. But I found you can put some bluesy stuff in, so that's okay.

Are you ready with Donna Lee?

User Info Menu

Are you ready with Donna Lee?
    Sure, we can do Donna Lee, we can do any tune. I believe the idea is to do anything after 1940, i.e. from the bop era onwards. Sending multiple tunes is definitely good, there are plenty of weeks to cover.

But they're supposed to be a surprise so PM them to me rather than announce them here, okay? Perhaps that hasn't been made clear. I'll put out a big notice later so the whole procedure's made clear.

User Info Menu

Sure, we can do Donna Lee, we can do any tune. I believe the idea is to do anything after 1940, i.e. from the bop era onwards. Sending multiple tunes is definitely good, there are plenty of weeks to cover.

But they're supposed to be a surprise so PM them to me rather than announce them here, okay? Perhaps that hasn't been made clear. I'll put out a big notice later so the whole procedure's made clear.
    Since you will know the track list, it will not be a surprise for you.
    These are jokes, aren't they?

User Info Menu

Sure, we can do Donna Lee, we can do any tune. I believe the idea is to do anything after 1940, i.e. from the bop era onwards.
    And specifically written by jazz musicians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Since you will know the track list, it will not be a surprise for you.
    These are jokes, aren't they?
    No, it's not a joke at all. That's the way Jeff did it and I'll continue that way. It's good fun not to know what the next one's going to be!

Yes, of course I will know and the people who have submitted their tunes will know, but that's all. You know, most of the tunes have had multiple versions posted after only a couple of days, let alone a whole week. They're not all as hard as Giant Steps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    And specifically written by jazz musicians.
    Yes, that too. I was going to put that in my big notice! Which I'll do tonight when I start the new thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lionelsax
    Hi !

So I'm still working on Giant Steps, posting my video here is like putting it in a rubbish bin, anyway I never surrender.
    I worked it while my girlfriend was sleeping (not my cat), she was in bed with a terrible headache, she said I didn't disturb her even if I said loudly : "Putain de John Coltrane, tu me casses les couilles !!! Heureusement que c'est pas fort !!! Ça va Pompon ?! Tu dors bien ?! Heureusement que tu es sourde !!!"
    My cat is 20 years old in April.
    I adopted her in 2013, she was 11.
    I think that with some work, I will add this tune on my repertoire when I've got a gig.
    But I won't play it this way.
    Maybe in waltz like I did the other day.

For those who are too busy !!!
    Box

Comment whatever you want.

I thank you for picking this tune, it's interesting, before that, I've never dared to try to play it.
    Haha! Funny I got all the the french stuff (I’m 50/50 anglophone/francophone. Nice with the bassline and working it out at a slower tempo!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Haha! Funny I got all the the french stuff (I’m 50/50 anglophone/francophone. Nice with the bassline and working it out at a slower tempo!
    Thanks, I haven't got the choice if I want to learn it.

User Info Menu

So, a wonderful challenge was this tune. I’ve never attempted it before. I don’t think I’ll continue with it, it would never fit into the setlist for the kind of gigs I do. Nevertheless I had a blast with it.

User Info Menu

55 secs...more more more triple......

User Info Menu

I've got a way of doing this. Work of genius, naturally.

User Info Menu

I am a long time lurker on this forum and have learned quite a lot of interesting things.
    To atone for my sin of never having contributed anything myself, I decided to post a video in the hope that it is useful or interesting for others.
    Last edited by Question; 11-16-2023 at 11:47 AM.

User Info Menu

That was nice. I enjoyed it, which I don't often do with Giant Steps versions. Well played!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Question
    I am a long time lurker on this forum and have learned quite a lot of interesting things.
    To atone for my sins of never having contributed anything myself, I decided to post a video in the hope that it is useful or interesting for others.
    Stellar, Q!! Great taste, great chops, great tone. Please don't revert to lurking!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliments. I actually took your advice and posted a version of "Bluesette" as well.

It seems that I am late to the party; these JGBE threads show very little recent activity.

User Info Menu

Well the idea at the time was to do one tune a week, so after the week was up there tended to be no further submissions for that tune. But feel free to do so, in fact it would be quite cool to revisit some of these tunes (I didn’t have time to do all of them back then).

User Info Menu

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the explanation. I see that I overlooked the "Rules" thread at the top that explains this one tune a week concept.
    That makes sense that people move on to the next tune.

As I wrote, I had kind of a bad feeling that I profited from the Knowledge on this site over the years without ever contributing anything constructive, so I posted two videos to sort of clear my conscience!

User Info Menu

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the explanation. I see that I overlooked the "Rules" thread at the top that explains this one tune a week concept.
    That makes sense that people move on to the next tune.

As I wrote, I had kind of a bad feeling that I profited from the Knowledge on this site over the years without ever contributing anything constructive, so I posted two videos to sort of clear my conscience!
    The concept of "virtual jam" started as a way to (sort of) get together under COVID lockdown. We had a dozen-ish people doing videos for a while, and when things started getting back to normal interest waned. I couple of us tried to keep it going, but that didn't work. Over the last year or so, people add their versions to a thread here and there, which is cool, but at at this point there isn't really cadence or consistent reaction to posts.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the compliments. I actually took your advice and posted a version of "Bluesette" as well.

It seems that I am late to the party; these JGBE threads show very little recent activity.
    Who cares, you sound good! Nice to see a revival.

The virtual jam was originally a weekly thing when we were all stuck home during the pandemic. It ran its course, but I see no problem with revisting the tunes, post away!