The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Was gonna call Giant Steps, but thought y'all might throw rocks at me...so here's a symmetry based ballad. Jam tune? I dunno, but I like it.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 46) - Central Park West-1637551282643-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I want to encourage more to join! I’ve been doing these jams since June, about 20 tunes and they have become the centre of my practice universe. I though I wasn’t good enough but I’ve felt welcome and have learnt a lot on every tune. Challange -> Work -> Feedback is a great weekly loop.

Leave your performance anxiety and hierarchical thinking behind and start jamming!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Was gonna call Giant Steps, but thought y'all might throw rocks at me...
    also could be a good call. Doesn’t have to be played at warp speed. Metheny does a lot with it as a bossa, as an example.
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    I want to encourage more to join! I’ve been doing these jams since June, about 20 tunes and they have become the centre of my practice universe. I though I wasn’t good enough but I’ve felt welcome and have learnt a lot on every tune. Challange -> Work -> Feedback is a great weekly loop.

Leave your performance anxiety and hierarchical thinking behind and start jamming!
    Btw was my note to you helpful, You never replied?

User Info Menu

:P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzism
    Btw was my note to you helpful, You never replied?
    Yes! Sorry, I’m juggling a lot at the moment and am dropping balls all over the place. My reply to you was one of them. I really appreciated that you shared your thoughts and didn’t mean to seem uninterested or disrespectful!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peterson
    Yes! Sorry, I’m juggling a lot at the moment and am dropping balls all over the place. My reply to you was one of them. I really appreciated that you shared your thoughts and didn’t mean to seem uninterested or disrespectful!
    Oh, yeah, me too. I forgot you had said elsewhere you were building a house? No worries. Good luck!
    cheers!

User Info Menu

Yes, the walls and roof-whatever-it’s-called-in-English was delivered today. Very exciting!

Here’s some noodling over the changes on a Squire Mini Strat, also delivered today:

User Info Menu

After playing with a really loud drummer in a small room on Monday i had to give my ears some time to rest, and therefore my hands. But who can resist a trane tune! I had to learn this one and it of course prompted the question why didn’t i learn it earlier? Heres my sloppy and repetitive shot at this beautiful ballad.

User Info Menu

CPW @ 2.40

User Info Menu

All right then, beautiful tune about a beautiful street ...

User Info Menu

Nice start, y'all.

Clint, fun to hear you on piano. Such a pretty tune, you certainly work that angle nicely.

Mastodonovan, good to see you here again. Really makes me want to develop this into a solo piece. Nice playing, great space.

Peterson, that baby Strat sounds pretty damn good! Nice thoughtful playing from you too.

John, you did a lot of very "sax" like things in there, ideas somewhat like Trane might have gone after if he stretched out more on this one.

My take here is trying to be restrained as much as possible, as inspired by JC. Still could play less, I think

User Info Menu

I had never played this one, here's a duo with Bass. Having fun with my Gibson SG...love the neck on that guitar.

Last edited by Ronstuff; 11-27-2021 at 08:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice versions here!

Clint, that just sounds great on piano. Very musical.

Mastodonovan, cool lines and great ideas in there!

Peterson, quite neat on that little guitar. Nice balanced playing.

John, you really nailed Coltrane vibe. Great tone and approach!

Jeff, you've just got so much got soul! Deep.

User Info Menu

^ Thx, I thought your version was very nice also. The touch and timing on the head was just right, plus I really like the sound of the SG. Also nice facility during the solo with the chord melody.

Clint, fun to hear you on piano. Such a pretty tune, you certainly work that angle nicely.
    Thx, it is a pretty tune. You always do a good job of laying down lines over the changes.

User Info Menu

Some nice stuff here ...

Clint: I like the left hand..cool voicings, and good flow.

Mastodonavan: interesting way to bring bop ideas to this tune. I'd like to hear that against a bass line or backing track.

Peterson: good job bringing out the changes

Jeff: I don't find that overplayed at all. I think there's a good blend of sparse and dense, and strong sense of building melodies.

Ron: very nice, I like the voicings you use, and the way you use ornamentation to build melodies.

Regarding playing like a sax and capturing Trane's vibe ... I don't think I quite get there, but I try.

Hi, I recently found out this forum, these threads of virtual jams are so inspiring that I couldn’t wait to do this first post.

I didn’t find this song easy to improvise over but I tried…comments are more than welcome

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    I had never played this one, here's a duo with Bass. Having fun with my Gibson SG...love the neck on that guitar.

Mining a bit of that "Garden Party" gold again, I hear! Love it. Perfect approach for a tune like this.

User Info Menu

I thought the guy in the video was you for a second, Rag. I thought oh no, Rag's crazy! Fortunately it's only Jimmy Bruno who's crazy lol.

User Info Menu

Mining a bit of that "Garden Party" gold again, I hear! Love it. Perfect approach for a tune like this.
    I’m on a gtr/bass duo album listening binge.
    Definitely still on the At The garden party album. Also Lenny Breau/Dave Young Live at Bourbon St and Jim Hall/Red Mitchell albums. Chamber jazz!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Giuliano0112
    Hi, I recently found out this forum, these threads of virtual jams are so inspiring that I couldn’t wait to do this first post.

I didn’t find this song easy to improvise over but I tried…comments are more than welcome

Nice laid back feel, and great to have another new participant. Welcome to ya!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clint 55
    I thought the guy in the video was you for a second, Rag. I thought oh no, Rag's crazy! Fortunately it's only Jimmy Bruno who's crazy lol.
    Us crazy guys all look the same

User Info Menu

I’m finding improvising over this tune quite difficult. I’m not finding a common thread to build a theme from these changes and so my attempts are mechanical change making. Any advice would be appreciated.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Triple_Jazz
    I’m finding improvising over this tune quite difficult. I’m not finding a common thread to build a theme from these changes and so my attempts are mechanical change making. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Focusing on the key centers works to my ear-- but handle the switch from D to Ab with care...its a big leap, sound wise, so outlining ii or V there helps the transition...

Definitely keep it simple...certainly Trane did...but if you need inspiration on how to stretch out on this one, Joe Lovano's version here is just wonderful.

User Info Menu

Coltrane didn't do too badly but he really only varied the melody. I guess if the object is to play over an odd progression something that sounds pleasantly normal... as they said in Taken: 'Good luck!'

I suppose I better get on with it. I'm sure you'll all do better than this.