The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 90

User Info Menu

Restarting our rotation with a jam session classic, "Four," called by TOMMO.

I expect lots of participation this week! Or else I'm calling Giant Steps

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 41) - Four-1634847142291-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So this is another tune that Miles stole?

User Info Menu

Four
    Good, good.

User Info Menu

Always liked this guy.

User Info Menu

I've been playing this tune since the late 70's when I bought Jamey Aebersold (Vol. 7) Miles Davis
    and practiced 6 hours a day.
    I will not post my take this time because it would be unfair to those who have never played it.
    Have a fun

ps.
    I'm waiting for challenges ala 'Iris'...+1 Rag.

User Info Menu

Great playing by Louis Stewart:

User Info Menu

I know this version by heart ... :-)all solos are great!

User Info Menu

i recorded a few takes of this not too long ago... here's take 4 of FOUR:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I've been playing this tune since the late 70's when I bought Jamey Aebersold (Vol. 7) Miles Davis
    and practiced 6 hours a day.
    I will not post my take this time because it would be unfair to those who have never played it.
    Wouldn't that make it more like a real jam session though, where there will always be someone with a lot more experience playing any tune that's called?
    Would you choose to lay out in that situation or play your best?
    i can't speak for anyone else here, but i know i enjoy hearing other interpretations of these tunes which are better than my own.
    Isn't that how we learn to do better ourselves, by having the bar raised in order to give us both inspiration and something to aspire to?
    Isn't that why people post not just their own versions, but also versions done by other players?
    i'd really like to hear your version of FOUR, and i promise that no matter how awesome it is, i won't give up playing the guitar.
    Maybe it will even get me into the shed and inspire me to work harder.

User Info Menu

I definitely don't want to get hung up on this but I thought I'd ask for interest's sake.

I've got several lead sheets on this one. The most striking dissimilarity is between the RB version and most of the others.

The first 8 bars of the RB one:

EbM7 - % - Bbm7 - Eb7
    AbM7 - %
    - Abm7 - Db7

and the others:

EbM7 - % - Ebm7 - Ab7
    Fm7 - %
    - Abm7 - Db7

I'm sure they both fit the melody but probably some knowledgeable person can explain it. The second one seems to be the popular version.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I definitely don't want to get hung up on this but I thought I'd ask for interest's sake.

I've got several lead sheets on this one. The most striking dissimilarity is between the RB version and most of the others.

EbM7 - % - Bbm7 - Eb7
    AbM7 - %
    - Abm7 - Db7

and the others:

EbM7 - % - Ebm7 - Ab7
    Fm7 - %
    - Abm7 - Db7

I'm sure they both fit the melody but probably some knowledgeable person can explain it. The second one seems to be the popular version.
    I just listened to a few versions - none is the first. The rest could be the second, except that the Fm7 might be an a AbM/F I think the Bbm|Eb7 change in the RB is a mistake, maybe based on hearing the Bb pedal and the on thinking it's a ii V to AbM, or because of the Db in the melody.

Anyway, on the stand, ver. 2 is what people I know play.

User Info Menu

Yes that Real Book chart is complete nonsense in those measures.

User Info Menu

Go with the one with the Fm.

(Sixth edition updates and gets that change right)

User Info Menu

I'm with dogletnoir here: kris - this isn't about a competition. If it were I wouldn't be around ....

Quote Originally Posted by dogletnoir
    i recorded a few takes of this not too long ago... here's take 4 of FOUR:

I like that - good start!

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    I just listened to a few versions - none is the first. The rest could be the second, except that the Fm7 might be an a AbM/F I think the Bbm|Eb7 change in the RB is a mistake, maybe based on hearing the Bb pedal and the on thinking it's a ii V to AbM, or because of the Db in the melody.

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes that Real Book chart is complete nonsense in those measures.
    Thanks for chiming in, I have been practicing (at least the tiny bits I've done so far) with the RB changes. Since Frank Vignola uses them in teaching the tune in his Truefire Jazz Studio I thought they were it.
    Hope to record something on the weekend and meanwhile looking forward to hear your versions!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.

The Hal Leonard Real Book 6th Ed. has it right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The Hal Leonard Real Book 6th Ed. has it right.
    One of these days I suppose I should get one of those updated legal Real Books ...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Thanks kris - that seems to be still another variant. May I ask what the source of it is?

User Info Menu

Those seem to be "blowing changes"

If you think of how similar Eb and Gm are, and then drop the dominant from the F#- bar, they're nothing too weird, just simplified.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1

EbM7 - % - Bbm7 - Eb7
    AbM7 - %
    - Abm7 - Db7

and the others:

EbM7 - % - Ebm7 - Ab7
    Fm7 - %
    - Abm7 - Db7

In RB5 you'll find this in the corrections:

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 41) - Four-four-jpg

User Info Menu

Sorry, misunderstanding. I'm not asking which one to use, I was just interested in how come such a dissimilarity of versions. I think DonEsteban has sorted it so thanks to you, Don. Clerical error, obviously :-)

I wasn't going to use the RB thing. Apart from anything else none of the versions I've heard so far do and neither do the backing tracks.

I've been noodling so you may as well have it. Not quite as real jazz players do it, no doubt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Thanks kris - that seems to be still another variant. May I ask what the source of it is?
    Looks like the Aebersold changes.

User Info Menu

ps.
    I'm waiting for challenges ala 'Iris'...+1 Rag.
    Iris has gone, we've moved on. I don't do challenges anyway.

I'm still waiting for an explanation for this gem, not that I believed a word of it. Maybe it was a fantasy.

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 41) - Four-kris-leave-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DonEsteban
    In RB5 you'll find this in the corrections:

JGBE Virtual Jam  (Round 41) - Four-four-jpg
    I bought mine in '82, and it didn't come with a time machine, alas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Looks like the Aebersold changes.
    +1