The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 79

User Info Menu

Alter has picked this week's tune, and I cannot wait to hear everybody's take!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 17) - In Walked Bud-1620319951578-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Great tune! Have already listened to your take on yt, Jeff and it's superb!

User Info Menu

It was never going to be fast.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1

Nice and very melodic.

User Info Menu

Just the usual nonsense, Tommo :-)

User Info Menu

Just the usual nonsense, Tommo :-)
    Just look at it as being reliable... ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Great tune! Have already listened to your take on yt, Jeff and it's superb!
    Ha, thanks...I meant to put it up here last night but got distracted.

Rag, you manage to make it sad. Which I guess, isn't that crazy, its a minor key tune, but I've never heard anybody do it like that, and I kinda dig it...maybe write a new melody, make a contrafact.

Here's mine. I'll definitely try and do another. I have a tough time just being myself on Monk tunes. I feel like I should play more angularly or something.

User Info Menu

Jeff - Although each section resolves to the major, chordally it sounds more like a minor tune so that's how it came out. But Monk makes it sound more nostalgic rather than sad.

I think the majority of soloists are using F aeolian (Ab) over their F minors whereas I was doing dorian (Eb) because it gave me the m6. Also they were arpeggiating more and using the pentatonic. As far as I can make out anyway.

And more angular, as you say.

(I thought you were a bit Charlie Christian :-))

User Info Menu

reliable...
    That might be why it's so sad :-)

User Info Menu

Here's a quick one. First clean take after some false starts and gremlins. Thanks again to Mr. Sunnybass. I'll try to do another with a backing track as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Rag, you manage to make it sad. Which I guess, isn't that crazy, its a minor key tune, but I've never heard anybody do it like that, and I kinda dig it...maybe write a new melody, make a contrafact.

Here's mine. I'll definitely try and do another. I have a tough time just being myself on Monk tunes. I feel like I should play more angularly or something.

I have the same difficulty with Monk tunes. I find his aesthetic incredibly attractive and interesting, and at the same time totally incomprehensible. I try to catch just a little piece of it, and never succeed (as demonstrated below). But it seems wrong not to try.

Anyway, I thought that sounded more like "Jeff" than "Jeff trying to be Monk."

User Info Menu

It felt like you were going to break out into "Michelle" a couple of times in there.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Has anybody mentioned yet that the A section is Irving Berlin's Blue Skies?

User Info Menu

I very much agree with Rag on his Charlie Christian observation. Was that happenstance or have you studied Charlie’s stuff a bit? (I transcribed and played Breakfast Feud in high school but stopped there).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Yeah, that was great. I like the way you messed with the head, the crunchy dissonances, and outside feel on the longer lines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Here's a quick one. First clean take after some false starts and gremlins. Thanks again to Mr. Sunnybass. I'll try to do another with a backing track as well.
    Nice first take, John - looking forward to another.

Like John said: I like the way you treated the head - quite Monk-like.

User Info Menu

Has anybody mentioned yet that the A section is Irving Berlin's Blue Skies?
    Been singing that in my head all day as I’ve been listening to Monk.

Alter has picked this week's tune, and I cannot wait to hear everybody's take!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 17) - In Walked Bud-1620319951578-jpg
    Good choice!!! MONK SPELLED BACKWARDS AND A LITTLE UPSIDE DOWN SPELLS KNOW!!!

User Info Menu

As he chose this tune, I'm rather looking forward to Alter's take on it.

User Info Menu

Also, for musicality, can't beat this.

User Info Menu

I like it and predictable can mean that expectations are being satisfied. I don't think that the tune needs to sound sad anyway...

User Info Menu

I don’t know if it’s because I listened on my phone or what but it was very hard to hear you over he backing track and there was no meat to the overdrive which contributed to burying you in the background. Having said that, awesome job!! Loved the head and really dug how you handled the A section, great movement.

User Info Menu

I don't think that the tune needs to sound sad anyway...
    So how do you stop it sounding sad? Not that I mind sad, but just asking. Do it fast? Play it weird like Fred Hersch? Thing is, the main tonality is minor, especially the descending Fm line and the bridge.

What do you suggest? Even better, show us with your version!
    Last edited by ragman1; 05-11-2021 at 03:34 AM.

User Info Menu

So how do you stop it sounding sad?
    It's not slow enough to sound sad in the first place. No idea what my take will sound like - probably sad?