The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 136

User Info Menu

Ragman's pick this week. Again, anybody who would like to call the next one, send me a message!

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 14) - Tune Up-1618456834709-jpg

Just a quick note...the last 4 bars...you'll see some conflicts...Miles did originally end with another ii V I in D, at least on the head, So a 16 bar form twice through with 2 different endings. The quartet version, solos too, but on "Cookin" I don't think so...Rollins never goes to D until the end of the tune (and even then, holy b5!)

I think most folks play it as a 16 bar form now and ignore the return to D until the end...but if you are getting a track for this one, watch out! Could go either way...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can't wait to hear Ragman do this at the Cookin' tempo! [I might have to break out my acoustic and do it as a ballad ...]

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Can't wait to hear Ragman do this at the Cookin' tempo! [I might have to break out my acoustic and do it as a ballad ...]

John
    I see what you did there, you rascal!

Anyway: good choice!

User Info Menu

John
    Fingerstyle!

User Info Menu

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 14) - Tune Up-79dfc095-b068-40bc-bc0d-441f36ff71b8-jpegJGBE Virtual Jam (Round 14) - Tune Up-9f6adc13-914e-4994-9f80-44105d2fd380-jpeg

User Info Menu

John
    Don't laugh too loud, I used to do bluegrass, standard 220. These days, no.

Anyway, after you... :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Don't laugh too loud, I used to do bluegrass, standard 220. These days, no.

Anyway, after you... :-)
    I may do this as a black metal dirge.

User Info Menu

It doesn't have to be done that fast. Even this is a bit hectic for me :-)

I see these circular tunes, not as tunes per se, but exercises, so really this is all variations on the theme.

User Info Menu

Here's my go at it!
    I've been working on some altered lines and playing, and checking out Mike Stern's new book.
    I tried to not get into that too much here and just play!
    But all that practising can make me play too many notes and try to play long lines, which I find doesn't always suit me that well.
    The Organ play along is a fun one!
    Did this with my little Yamaha THR amp and tried to record the way Jeff does with a phone. I may have been a little too close, we still hear some of the acoustic sound of the guitar...And I really like this guitar, the single coil neck pickup is just perfect. Just a standard Telecaster no modifications.

Last edited by Ronstuff; 04-15-2021 at 08:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Gonna post my first take and then go back and listen to everyone else so far.

First impressions: I don't know this tune nearly as well as I thought I did!

Last edited by mr. beaumont; 04-15-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Hi. Archtop Eddy here. I lost my account here when I bought a new computer and couldn't access my password. Easiest way to solve the problem was just to open a new account, which I did. Anyway, I thought I'd throw my hat in here with a version of Tune In I recorded in February. It doesn't have lightning speed because I don't have the dexterity but I hope it's all cool. It seemed like a nice way to get back on the forum here. Feels good to be back!

User Info Menu

Got to listen...

Rag, wouldn't have expected any less...er...more of you Sparse, melodic, fun.

Ron, cool track. You sound great on whatever guitar you play. All sorts of stuff in here i enjoyed...there was a lick around 1:25 that I just loved, a low to high thing...great stuff.

User Info Menu

I jumped on it!

Beautiful day for an upload. I love the smell of jazz in the morning

User Info Menu

Ragman, good call with the tune! Good version played "In Your Own Sweet Way"!

Jeff, really liked the vibrato in there. Reminded me of Phillipe Catherine! Nice energy in there!

Picking, I'm hearing some bop in there. Very nice!

User Info Menu

Thanks Ron!

I call my brand of bop "meep bop" as in:

First day of my interdisciplinary music & literature class starts tomorrow. Excited...

And it's gonna be a hybrid class...

Boo!

C19 has made me really hate technology. Where's my typewriter?

I'm all outta gags...

User Info Menu

OK here's mine ...

So far as I can recall, I don't think I've played this before (maybe on a jam, but I've never shedded it). The tune itself is easy to learn, but not necessarily to execute at breakneck hard bop speed. I tried it initially with with one of the crazy fast backing tracks, but wasn't feeling it, and decided to go with the organ groove version. My usual bluesy motivic stuff sprinkled with bop-ish-isms schtick fits well with this. But I do feel like I ought play stuff that's a little less obvious/vanilla and man up to the crazy fast breakneck hard bop way Miles intended it. Hopefully I can shed it a bit more and take a crack at that.

Ron: Very cool. I like the call and response stuff on the head. Cool ideas throughout the solo, lots of variety in the phrasing, and great groove.

Jeff: Feels a bit more like tone-center-inner-Jerry-Jeff, than hardbop-altered-dominant-side-slipping-Jeff, in a good way. Kudos for hanging with the more challenging backing track.

Ragman: You can't fool me -- that ain't no bluegrass. But I dig the usual Ragman harmonic nooks and crannies.

YouCanPickYourFriendsAndYouCanPickYourNoseButYouCa n'tWipeYourFriendsUnderTheSofa: Some nice longer lines and flow there; great tone, and it feels "in the pocket" despite the sparseness.

John

User Info Menu

OK here's mine ...

So far as I can recall, I don't think I've played this before (maybe on a jam, but I've never shedded it). The tune itself is easy to learn, but not necessarily to execute at breakneck hard bop speed. I tried it initially with with one of the crazy fast backing tracks, but wasn't feeling it, and decided to go with the organ groove version. My usual bluesy motivic stuff sprinkled with bop-ish-isms schtick fits well with this. But I do feel like I ought play stuff that's a little less obvious/vanilla and man up to the crazy fast breakneck hard bop way Miles intended it. Hopefully I can shed it a bit more and take a crack at that.

Ron: Very cool. I like the call and response stuff on the head. Cool ideas throughout the solo, lots of variety in the phrasing, and great groove.

Jeff: Feels a bit more like tone-center-inner-Jerry-Jeff, than hardbop-altered-dominant-side-slipping-Jeff, in a good way. Kudos for hanging with the more challenging backing track.

Ragman: You can't fool me -- that ain't no bluegrass. But I dig the usual Ragman harmonic nooks and crannies.

YouCanPickYourFriendsAndYouCanPickYourNoseButYouCa n'tWipeYourFriendsUnderTheSofa: Some nice longer lines and flow there; great tone, and it feels "in the pocket" despite the sparseness.

John
    I dunno—that seemed pretty breakneck to me and you were all over it, no sweat. Lots of nice runs on all registers of the instrument.

(Do you use something lighter than 12s on that guitar? I have a single pickup Hawk Deep Standard with TI flat 12s, but I’m hearing a little something different in the resonance of your guitar. Not really pickup related—almost like your guitar has a lighter overall tone and resonance whereas mine feels deep and heavy.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I dunno—that seemed pretty breakneck to me and you were all over it, no sweat. Lots of nice runs on all registers of the instrument.

(Do you use something lighter than 12s on that guitar? I have a single pickup Hawk Deep Standard with TI flat 12s, but I’m hearing a little something different in the resonance of your guitar. Not really pickup related—almost like your guitar has a lighter overall tone and resonance whereas mine feels deep and heavy.)
    Thanks. Trust me, though, when I was playing over the tracks that are upwards of 230 bpm, I wasn't able to do much (at least not tonight). This tempo (180 bpm) feels good, especially with this kind of in-the-pocket groove, but I think I need to work on the tune some more.

I'm playing with Chrome 12's. I think the spec's of my guitar (Hawk Jazz) are somewhat different from the Hawk Deep. Mine has a laminated spruce top, 3" depth, and an ebony fingerboard. The Deep has a maple top, 3 1/2 (3/4?) rims, and a rosewood(?) board, right? That would probably account for some of the differences. Amp settings probably figure in as well (this cut is a plug-in of a BF Super Reverb head mated to a SF Twin Reverb cabinet).

John

User Info Menu

I dunno what's more gross, boogers or ear wax...

If I ever join a forum for amateur florists, I am going with "Picked_Noses_Smell_It_Better"

Thankfully I don't teach elementary aged kiddos, they actually eat their nose nuggets.

Gotta start somewhere...

Great pick, rags! This tune used to totally kick my ass on jam sessions. To my credit, I was usually paired up with the least experienced rhythm section. I think jam sessions should do it the other way. You gotta pair the least experienced soloists with the best rhythm sections and the most pro soloists with weaker rhythm section players like me. Honestly, it helps everyone. If you really know your stuff, then playing with a weak rhythm section keeps you on your toes and pushes you to lead and hold the band together with your melodic/ harmonic/ rhythmic clarity. If you are more inexperienced, then a strong rhythm section can teach ya how to groove.

I dunno. One day, when I lead my own jazz jam session... that's how I'll organize the session. No posturing. Just learning. Keep the knife fights for outside the jam session and such.

The only price of admission would be great banter. Great jazz requires great wit. Life is too serious, laughing does the mind and body good.

User Info Menu

Incidentally this is another tune that Miles Davis DIDN’T write. The general consensus (including from Eddie himself apparently) is that it was written by Eddie ‘Cleanhead’ Vinson.

If you’re wondering how he got that nickname, here’s a photo I took of him in 1981 (he’s on the right, the others are Doc Cheatham and Eddie Chamblee):

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 14) - Tune Up-cf0aa34e-187c-42e4-87dc-fe9fea16e2cd-jpeg

User Info Menu

John, fun take. There's a "Barney Kessel just on the edge of losing it but staying in control" element to your fast stuff i love.

I really do need to work on my picking.

Speaking of Picking, some Monkish angular stuff in there, and some nice longer bop lines. Good take.

Re: Vinson...I was THIS close to using his picture and giving him credit for this week's tune, but I didn't want to confuse people!

I like this organ track...I'm definitely going to try another take. But I also kind of want to do an acoustic version, since it's ragman's week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    It doesn't have to be done that fast.
    Goes to show that it works fine at slow tempo - well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronstuff
    Here's my go at it!

Very nice mix of long lines and choruses with more space.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopEddy!
    Hi. Archtop Eddy here.
    Well done! And I seem to spot another Eastman...

Good space between your lines, PME.

OK here's mine ...

John
    Another great take, John and great tone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopEddy!
    Hi. Archtop Eddy here. I lost my account here when I bought a new computer and couldn't access my password. Easiest way to solve the problem was just to open a new account, which I did. Anyway, I thought I'd throw my hat in here with a version of Tune In I recorded in February. It doesn't have lightning speed because I don't have the dexterity but I hope it's all cool. It seemed like a nice way to get back on the forum here. Feels good to be back!

Missed this one! Nice take and welcome aboard. Great sound with the bright guitar/fullness of the thumb, and some very nice relaxed swinging lines in there.

User Info Menu

Eastman guitar players unite

With all of our guitars combined, we form:

Changed the animation a bit since the 80s, no?

Great to see more Eastman players on the forum. Love my trusty AR 803 "PickingMyEars" model. Even though I modded the hell outta my Eastman, I still love her the same.

User Info Menu

Cool Choice Rag, I never really played this tune before and had fun with it!

Ron – Amazing cut, you had me all in the whole way through. So much beautiful style, ebbs, and peaks!

Jeff – Sounded like you knew it well enough ;D the stuff at 0:42 was killin

Arch Eddy – Welcome, wonderful arrangement and voicings. Much respect for being a thumb player

Picking – Nice lines, great use of rhythm 2:26

John A – As usually amazing tone, killin at 1:13! Love your placement of blues in this