The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 311

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Yeah 100%

Listening back to what I played. Some of it I like, some of it I like less. So the next step is play more of the stuff I like and try out other stuff where I don’t like what’s there

Obviously listening carefully to the original. I have a feeling this is one where the changes have quite a few variations from source to source shall we say
    The iReal changes are pretty accurate I think. Herbie used some pretty weird chords on the recording and I have checked this against the record, it sounds right to me.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 9) - Dolphin Dance-7d8f0c8b-43df-4825-be07-171278b9d87c-jpeg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I referred to an "understanding" of the tune without really clearly defining what I meant, even to myself. Upon reflection ...

I think it comes down to knowing the tune well enough that the harmony feels predictable. So, reacting only to the sound of the tune (not the chart, not memorized grips) do I know where it's going next? If I walked into the room in the middle of the tune, how long would it take me to figure out where in the tune the musicians were playing?

It also has something to do with whether or not you can use material you have practiced on other tunes. So, for example, if you see a 3 6 2 5 1 progression, you know exactly what's going on in that part of the tune. You can easily find the guide tones.

When you see Gmaj7 Gsus A/G Emaj7#11/G, you don't have anything to base it on -- and you have to start from scratch. Dolphin Dance has several sections like that Gmaj7 Ab-7 F-7 G7#5. F7sus D/F F7sus E-7 A7. Dbmaj7 Bb13b9 Abmaj7#5 G7#5. When this tune came out nobody had licks for those changes and, probably, most players don't even now.

The tune makes you start from scratch in several places.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    The iReal changes are pretty accurate I think. Herbie used some pretty weird chords on the recording and I have checked this against the record, it sounds right to me.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 9) - Dolphin Dance-7d8f0c8b-43df-4825-be07-171278b9d87c-jpeg
    These look nothing like what was on that YT channel lol

User Info Menu

These look nothing like what was on that YT channel lol
    My Aebersold chart has Ab7 where this chart has AbM7#11. JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 9) - Dolphin Dance

Is that a huge difference? At my level, on a tune like, probably not. Both chords have a maj 3, amirite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    My Aebersold chart has Ab7 where this chart has AbM7#11. JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 9) - Dolphin Dance

Is that a huge difference? At my level, on a tune like, probably not. Both chords have a maj 3, amirite.
    There is quite a big difference in tonality. I think details are important (also the AbM7#11 is a little easier to play over.)

I’ll have a listen.

Sounds like maj7#11 to me. Anyone?

User Info Menu

I spent an hour or so with this tune which I had heard in passing at some time and saw that you need to spend serious time (which I don't have) with it to do it justice; "playing the changes" did not render anything interesting. So no contribution from me this week. Well played Jeff, John A, Ronstuff, didn't hear any others (a lot of chit-chat to sift through in this thread!) Cheers. PS Cantaloupe Island would have been a different story

User Info Menu

There is quite a big difference in tonality. I think details are important (also the AbM7#11 is a little easier to play over.)

I’ll have a listen.

Sounds like maj7#11 to me. Anyone?
    Yes - quite obvious to my (quite inexperienced) ears...

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr

I also found in several versions Ab7#11- I /ve played this one.
    Easer is to play over AbM7#11 as Christian notised.

User Info Menu

That album, Maiden Voyage, is incredible, IMO. I've always rated it higher than Kind of Blue. I like the thematic unity of it.

On a side note, how do people get these backing tracks into a program like Garage Band?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by charlieparker
    That album, Maiden Voyage, is incredible, IMO. I've always rated it higher than Kind of Blue. I like the thematic unity of it.

On a side note, how do people get these backing tracks into a program like Garage Band?
    I recorded a few things in GarageBand on my ipad occasionally, and it was a right old performance doing this. The tracks were on my PC, so as I recall I had to connect my ipad with the lightning cable to the USB on my PC, then open itunes on my PC and invariably spend ages trying to navigate the stupid itunes menus, then eventually copy the tracks from my PC into Garageband in the ‘apps’ area of the ipad.

Then in Garageband there was some complicated way to import the track into a ‘song’. I don’t think I could go through all that again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Yeah so this one is more like the version I saw first; but I think the actual changes they recorded were more like Graham’s.
    Hilarity ensues...

User Info Menu

Yea... need to get my guitars together, I've been shutdown for 11 months... and have loved it. anyway. Making some vids with my ipad... here are two, had to use one of my acoustic.

I should warm up with each vid...

User Info Menu

I can advise if you have a Mac, other than that not sure

User Info Menu

Hey Graham

If you have a you tube channel, you can load any type of file.... then just use the share or copy the video link and just paste on your post.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Graham

If you have a you tube channel, you can load any type of file.... then just use the share or copy the video link and just paste on your post.
    I think the question (not mine) was how to get backing tracks into Garageband.

User Info Menu

I can advise if you have a Mac, other than that not sure
    I do.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    I spent an hour or so with this tune which I had heard in passing at some time and saw that you need to spend serious time (which I don't have) with it to do it justice; "playing the changes" did not render anything interesting. So no contribution from me this week. Well played Jeff, John A, Ronstuff, didn't hear any others (a lot of chit-chat to sift through in this thread!) Cheers. PS Cantaloupe Island would have been a different story
    I also will sit out this week due to increased work obligations and not enough time available to shed this tune. Nothing against the tune, it's nice, but too tricky for me to learn without investing more time into it than I have at the moment with work responsibilities.

User Info Menu

I use one of several youtube to mp3 conversion sites, such as this one:

YouTube to Mp3 Converter

if you Google "convert youtube to mp3" a bunch of these pop up, and they come and go and are a little sketchy. They all work the same way. You paste the url into a box on the page, then click "convert". A few seconds later a button for downloading pops up. Click that. Then open up your downloads folder in Finder, and open Garageband on a blank project. Drag the mp3 from finder to empty track in GB.

One thing to watch out for - don't click any buttons other than "covert" and "download" on these sites. The other buttons, (labeled "start now" and "play now" on the site I pasted) can download adware/crapware that can be a PITA to delete. But the "download" button is safe. I've done this many times (and found out about the adware the hard way)

John

User Info Menu

Sorry Graham... my mistake, and thanks John.

yes I use a few converters, usually Prism Video Conv. or Pixillian... NCH software. I can't remember, what I paid...

I'll get one of jazz guitars setup and keep posting. Maybe make better vids... I have a few video cameras somewhere. Although it was fun to play acoustic.

new tunes.... Wes, Fried Pies, Jingles, Silver's Juicy Lucy or Liberated Brother, actually any tune is cool.

Kris... nice versions.

What happens when the tune's called in a different key...

User Info Menu

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. Those iReal chords are far too complex for guitar, that's piano stuff. Fine with a band or a backing track but unnecessary for soloing the tune here.

Just get some chords that work and keep it simple. Play over them as you'd normally do. It's not a competition or the musical Olympics, just do it. Everybody here is good enough to do something with it and you can always ask if you get stuck.

User Info Menu

I do.
    OK i do this, using my phone to play the backing track into my computer (not sure how else I would do it)

1) connect your phone to one your Mac’s ports (use a lightning to thunderbolt cable or whatever)
    2) locate and open Audio MIDI Setup in Finder
    3) click ‘enable phone’ on the left hand menu
    4) open Garageband
    5) create a new audio only track
    6) select the phone as your audio interface
    7) press record on the track and play the backing track into Garageband

User Info Menu

There are quite big differences in the changes for example in the suspended chord section (the ‘middle 8’ if you like) between different versions. One will not sound good over the other.

I’m going to use my lugholes and make my own decision on this later

User Info Menu

Both versions are very similar.about second chord can be Ebsus7 but Bbm7 is ok.
    B part:
    chord in bar 4 G7sus
    chord in bar 6 D/F it is "interesting" but I prefer G/F

D part:
    D/E C/E D/E C/E
    Db/Eb Bb13b9/Eb AbM7#5/Eb G7alt

D part my version is similar/different notes in bass/
    bar nr 7 Bb7sus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    These are my two recordings of practicing Dolphin Dance. one - with walking bass and dr, another bossa style.
    I did not treat the exercise as playing patterns, but wanted to focus on building the solo - as long as possible phrases. This is the difficulty of this song to make the chorus solos form a whole.

Box

Box
    Beautiful kris!