The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 38 of 38

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    John Abercrombie showed exercises how to play solos on one and two strings .
    Very creative practice.
    That's also how The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick starts.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

DaShigsta Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    That's also how The Advancing Guitarist by Mick Goodrick starts.
    The real eye opener was pg. 30 ex. 1 when you apply the 2-notes-per-string rule to all scales.

User Info Menu

LOL I remember the Ice skating thing.

DaShigsta Guest
    The only drawback re: the Stern book is that there are no indications about the sources
    (recordings/live takes from which tunes/compositions etc) the author used for the audio examples.

User Info Menu

I think that they may be examples just for the book.....not necessarily from recorded pieces.

It may be an idea to extend the altered scale horizontally to more than one string a la The Advancing Guitarist. I'm still working on the intervals and the first few licks.

How is everyone else doing?

User Info Menu

I think that they may be examples just for the book.....not necessarily from recorded pieces.

It may be an idea to extend the altered scale horizontally to more than one string a la The Advancing Guitarist. I'm still working on the intervals and the first few licks.

How is everyone else doing?
    I'm in about the same place. I haven't had a lot of time to sit down and plough through much of it. I'm also a painfully slow reader, so I figure it's going to take a good long while to get through the book. But do find the one string thing and the interval exercises helpful already. Before starting, if you were to ask my how will I know altered scales, I'd say I know them quite well. This reveals otherwise.

DaShigsta Guest
    You are correct !

On pg. 102 (Chapter 5 - Bb Blues Performance) Mike says that all demo tracks for the book were recorded by a friend...

User Info Menu

Hi All:

I just received the book this weekend as a birthday gift from my wife (along with a Martin acoustic guitar - she's a keeper). I've ordered a cheap looper pedal from Amazon for $35, and once it arrives, I'm going to start in on the book. I'm planning to tackle 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Once I get through the book, I'll see if Mike Stern is still offering online lessons, and then maybe take one from him.

On a related note, I decided to dig out my copy of Joe Pass on Guitar and work through that as well. I've had it for a few years and never really invested much time in it - now might be the time to do so. One problem - I no longer have any way of playing the CD that comes with it. None of my computers have a CD player. Can anyone offer any solutions to getting the sound files onto my computer or iPad? If you have the sound files in .mp3 form, is there a way you can share them with me perhaps? Thanks for your consideration.

User Info Menu

A heads up, the Mike Stern book (Kindle version only) is available for £2.99 / $2.99 on amazon at the moment, as are about 30 in the same series, e.g. some Martin Taylor books.

I’m not sure how long this price lasts, the email I received said only for a couple of days (and that was 2 days ago!).

Anyway I bought the Mike Stern book, looked interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    A heads up, the Mike Stern book (Kindle version only) is available for £2.99 / $2.99 on amazon at the moment, as are about 30 in the same series, e.g. some Martin Taylor books.

I’m not sure how long this price lasts, the email I received said only for a couple of days (and that was 2 days ago!).

Let us know how you get on with the Stern book.

I have several of these books - I used to have more but got rid of some (along with other jazz books) a while ago now I feel the need to replace those ones I sold. They're very good, good reading practice though I would admit to buying many before having really worked my way through ones I already had, but then I guess some of this material is quite open-ended in its way. I keep wondering how many books there will be in the Fundamental Changes series, because they've flooded the market and there are more than a few which present similar material, but I presume in a different way. Anyway, aside from replacing the ones I sold, I won't keep purchasing these books (and books they are for me, not owning a kindle).

Books are cool but no substitute for figuring stuff out by ear/transcription (not aiming this comment at you, Graham, just thinking aloud to myself).

User Info Menu

No I agree, I have bought too many books myself then hardly used some of them. But I like Mike Stern’s lines and for £2.99 I decided to give myself a little present before Christmas (!).

Anyway I’ve had a skim through and heard some of the audio files, and I think it looks good. Some great intervallic approaches to the scales, and the example lines sound exactly like Mike’s kind of playing to me, so I think there’s a lot to get out of it.

I don’t normally go for kindle versions, but it works ok on the app on my ipad, and you can expand all the music examples to full page, so for the price I’m fine with it. Also I haven’t really got much space for more books! (I’ve got loads of classical guitar stuff as well.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Thanks for heads up. Even though I have the actual book I spent the $2.99 on the Kindle version. For some reason I mistakenly assumed the audio would have been embedded. Now THAT would be convenient!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Thanks for heads up. Even though I have the actual book I spent the $2.99 on the Kindle version. For some reason I mistakenly assumed the audio would have been embedded. Now THAT would be convenient!
    yes what I’ve done is copy the audio files to my phone, then I can read the examples while listening to the audio track on the phone, works quite well.