The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 82

User Info Menu

Well played quixotic-looking Alter! If I ever wish to learn to play this tune (properly), I'll come back and check out your video.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's an attempt, no backing though..

really enjoyed that. Enjoy a bit of pick solo
    guitar...

User Info Menu

Here's an attempt, no backing though..

Really enjoyed this. Great forward motion and swing.

User Info Menu

I suppose I need to pick a tune for this week...hmmm....

User Info Menu

how about... Satin Doll?

That tune gets crapped on more than I can count at jam sessions.

Too easy?

Then I guess these jam junkies (not you bunch, I mean the young guns at jam sessions--especially in NYC) can play better solos on Satin Doll than...

Wes Montgomery

Red Garland

Oscar Peterson

Ella Fitzgerald

McCoy Tyner

Errol Garner

Clark Terry

Barney Kessel

...you get the point. In the past three years of practice and study I have found that the best way forward...

... is to go backward, and revisit what you thought you knew with new ears, eyes, and knowledge.

I am diggin on Satin Doll.

What say you, Mr. B?

User Info Menu

Kris,

I am lucky enough (not good enough) to be one of the house guitarists at a local jam sesh. Great band... I'm the weakest link

Anyway, the leader once asked me to play solo in between jam sets.

If I could play solo guitar anywhere near as good as Alter, I would have said, "no problem." I just sat out.

There is a famous guitarist... who told a similar story... I think it was Russell Malone. He took a chance and rolled with it, even though he was just starting his career.

Here's the thing. Alter pulled an "Andy Brown" with that take. What's an "Andy Brown", you say?

Playing solo guitar and keeping it grooving. Hard to swing and groove with a band behind ya. An artform to keep everything swangly all by yourself. Yes, swangly is my new word

User Info Menu

I'll probably do the next one with a backing track. It sometimes gets a bit stale to play with backing tracks, and we all pretty much have been doing that this last year. Plus I recently changed back to Benson picking and it felt like a quick challenge!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the kind words. I recorded this without a metronome, but generally speaking i always practice and play with a metronome (on two and four) unless there's a specific reason not to. Or i record a chorus on a looper using a metronome, then stop the metronome and practice with the looper.

You are always going to have a reference time when playing with others, so i think it's a very healthy habit to have.

User Info Menu

Re: Satin Doll...

I think that one will probably be covered by the Practical Standards group, so I'll avoid toe stepping.

I think for now I'll keep this group focused more on jazz tunes as opposed to tunes adopted by jazz artists, if that makes sense...but I guess satin doll still is a jazz tune...hmmmm....

I do have a fun one this week planned though, a different feel than our first few

User Info Menu

Sounds good.

Can you give us a hint, Jeff?

It's like dangling candy in front of a toddler...

Gimme mah candy

Looking forward to it, whatever song it is!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    how about... Satin Doll?

That tune gets crapped on more than I can count at jam sessions.

Too easy?

Then I guess these jam junkies (not you bunch, I mean the young guns at jam sessions--especially in NYC) can play better solos on Satin Doll than...

Wes Montgomery

Red Garland

Oscar Peterson

Ella Fitzgerald

McCoy Tyner

Errol Garner

Clark Terry

Barney Kessel

...you get the point. In the past three years of practice and study I have found that the best way forward...

... is to go backward, and revisit what you thought you knew with new ears, eyes, and knowledge.

I am diggin on Satin Doll.

What say you, Mr. B?
    Satin Doll would come up in the "Practical Standards" but I had thought this thead was focusing on "jazz originals" i.e. tunes like "So What" that are jam session staples but not "GASB" tunes. I might be wrong, but my own original post calling for a group like this had that idea in mind.

User Info Menu

I haven't been able to spend much time playing guitar this week, so I just pounded this out to "stay in the game."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PickingMyEars
    Kris,

I am lucky enough (not good enough) to be one of the house guitarists at a local jam sesh. Great band... I'm the weakest link

Anyway, the leader once asked me to play solo in between jam sets.

If I could play solo guitar anywhere near as good as Alter, I would have said, "no problem." I just sat out.

There is a famous guitarist... who told a similar story... I think it was Russell Malone. He took a chance and rolled with it, even though he was just starting his career.

Here's the thing. Alter pulled an "Andy Brown" with that take. What's an "Andy Brown", you say?

Playing solo guitar and keeping it grooving. Hard to swing and groove with a band behind ya. An artform to keep everything swangly all by yourself. Yes, swangly is my new word

Fingerstyle is cheating

(jk, but pick solo guitar is an underrated thing.)

User Info Menu

Well done, Lawson, energy!

User Info Menu

the guy that we both respect and love to listen to... Peter Bernstein

And Howard Alden!

What I love about Andy Brown's playing is that even when he just plays solo guitar--he makes you want to hop up and dance some.

That groove and forward motion. When it's right, you know it. Does something to the body, the gut--you just gotta get up to feel it through.

Hard to explain, but that is my definition of swing and groove. Visceral. Almost like riding a roller coaster, yet not as hectic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I haven't been able to spend much time playing guitar this week, so I just pounded this out to "stay in the game."

Good one, Lawson. The one comment I might offer is "more cowbell", oops, I mean "more triplets" to get a more bop-ish feel. Otherwise, note choices and phrasing are good.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Good one, Lawson. The one comment I might offer is "more cowbell", oops, I mean "more triplets" to get a more bop-ish feel. Otherwise, note choices and phrasing are good.

John
    Thanks! I can always tell I"m over-thinking when I get frozen into a couple of rhythmic patterns. When I just "go sloppy" I miss some notes but often get more interesting time feel. I definitely am not over-thinking this one. The Fm7 Bb7 in M. 2 I just don't think about...

User Info Menu

You all made the mistake of encouraging me. Plus, I can't get this tune out of my head now. So this is yet another shot at not over-thinking, or even under-thinking... in fact, "What WAS he thinking?" is likely going to be the reaction. Maybe I'm Exhibit A in why it's not wise to say "Just play what you feel" or the like. I will say this: I was having fun. I was pretending that backing track was a real band, imagining interacting with them, and trying to just play out at whatever level I could. Not thinking about swing, bop, or whatever.

Yeah.. maybe not the best approach but I had fun with this. Hope you at least are encouraged to think "Hey, I can do better than that!"

User Info Menu

I listened to your earlier take, Lawson, and really enjoyed it. Didn't have a chance to type then, so I came back and now I got more listening!

User Info Menu

the guy that we both respect and love to listen to... Peter Bernstein
    Talking about solo playing.. if anyone hasn't heard Bernstein's solo album, the "Live at Smalls" one.. it's from another galaxy

User Info Menu

this one, Alter?

Grooves abound, shake what ya momma gave ya

User Info Menu

Talking about solo playing.. if anyone hasn't heard Bernstein's solo album, the "Live at Smalls" one.. it's from another galaxy
    is great. I need to relisten.

It was listening to him that made me want to focus on pick playing above fingerstyle.

he has the ugly beauty thing going on. Even very accomplished solo jazz guitar can have a tendency to sound bland, and PB has this thing going on. Comes from Monk.

I need to get back on the Monk train. Keep getting distracted by lesser music, such as Bach

(actually JS to me has some of this ugly beauty thing as well.)

Not practicing jazz much ATM which is why I haven’t got on this thread.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Talking about solo playing-Martin Taylor is one of my favorite.Piano player thinking.
    He’s crazy good. But it’s also quite ‘worked out’

Not a criticism. Different solo players have different approaches. If PB is like Monk, MT is like Oscar Peterson to my ears. He swings like a barn door...

User Info Menu

Straying away from this thread, one solo album i really enjoyed was Ron Affifs Solotude. He usually plays so busy, but this one is simple and beautiful (i love his other stuff too! ).

User Info Menu

Kojak!