Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 101 to 110 of 110

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    I thought I'd take my own advice and see what happened... When I first did this (then unknown) tune I found it became rather 'formless', which it apparently does for most people; it's one of its charms. At one point I kept it going for about 20 minutes till I was sick to death of it and even then didn't feel satisfied. It was awful - in an addictive sort of way. Which you probably found too re. your 'ear-worm'.

Anyway, I just did this, as it came out, bearing in mind I haven't thought about it for some time now. I've noticed a couple of things. Before, I kept making the F-Gb-F sound like flamenco and I didn't want that. I tried to avoid it but couldn't, for some reason. You'll notice that I haven't done it this time. Well, perhaps a little. The subconscious strikes.

Then there was the ii-V-i in the middle. Before, I was avoiding using the D harmonic minor because I thought it sounded a bit sweet and didn't fit with the feel of the rest of it. But this time I just used it and it's fine. The mind is strange.

Then, before, I could never play an Fm at the end, I kept going back to an F major because it 'felt right'. Now it wasn't a problem. No force, it just came out naturally. Again, the internalisation process given a chance.

Your music is much, much better than mine. Your ideas are musical, melodic, and pleasant to listen to. I think I'm too basic, maybe boring, but at least I can play it without worry, too much cognition, and get a reasonable result. No prizes, but it gets by.

There you are, all my secret confessions! Not usually aired in public. So here it is, for what it's worth.

Rag,
    I think you changed yourself.Two or three years ago you made a lot of takes during one week.Today you cut your takes during one week and you do not satisfied. In my opinion two takes over one tune is OK.
    Just 1cent.
    Best
    Kris

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Lawson -

It's very nice but you're probably overworking it now. What you should do is forget it for, say, a week, wait till you're relaxed, then just sit down and bang something out. You'd be amazed. The brain's had time to absorb all the bits and pieces and it'll deliver.

I've noticed a thing with well-known players, the ones we all know, that what they play never sounds forced. You never become conscious of them thinking 'Oh, I'll stick that lick in now'. It just flows out because it's sufficiently internalised. Probably after years of playing the same kind of music, I shouldn't wonder.

Just a thought.
    I only posted this because I enjoyed the quote I included, which nobody commented on anyhow. If my playing sounds forced it might be because I’m not where you and those we’ll known players are musically. I have to work at it and I consciously try to go against my grain. What you hear as “forced” is actually me taking risks. Bad ones, evidently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Very nice take with jazz feel.Beautifull sounding jazz box.
    You and that guitar certainly sound "happy together."

Dude seriously, listen to this versus your previous takes, and see how much better your time feel is here. All about that confidence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You and that guitar certainly sound "happy together."

Dude seriously, listen to this versus your previous takes, and see how much better your time feel is here. All about that confidence.
    Thanks. This is the first thread where I've tried to stick to improvising rather than learning something by heart and playing it. That line, btw, also fits over the second line of the tune.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    So I just posted this because I found a fun quote to use in the solo chorus, and came up with a couple ways to do the final 4 measures. Since I started working on this tune, I've had an "ear-worm" that I finally figured out and realized it could work in a solo. Since all the great players liked to quote things, here is mine!

No offense, but I can't see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    No offense, but I can't see me lovin' nobody but you for all my life. Not that there's anything wrong with that ...

John
    It's kind of pathetic, but I was so inordinately proud of identifying that quote "on the fly" and by ear, and all that, not from trying to analyze and match phrases. Kind of a minor musical breakthrough for me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    It's kind of pathetic, but I was so inordinately proud of identifying that quote "on the fly" and by ear, and all that, not from trying to analyze and match phrases. Kind of a minor musical breakthrough for me!
    Nah, quotes are great. All the cool kids do it. I caught it right away, and had a chuckle. Check out Sonny Rollins' Solo album - a regular quote-a-palooza.

John

User Info Menu

Lawson-stone,

I guess that means we are all so... happy together?

Did I get the quote right?

If so, that is so slick and tongue and cheek! That's like something Dex or Sonny Rollins might do!

Definitely caught my ear:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Nah, quotes are great. All the cool kids do it. I caught it right away, and had a chuckle. Check out Sonny Rollins' Solo album - a regular quote-a-palooza.

John
    You and me, me and you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

0:38 of Lawson-Stone solo start with phrase from Happy Together song.
    Very Nice!I noticed it when I've heard this take first time...