The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 140

User Info Menu

This weeks jam will be "Whisper Not," by Benny Golson.

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 1) - Whisper Not-1610671892620-jpg
    The goal here is to improvise. Take a chorus or 3. Play with a track, or not. Don't overthink it. Everybody's cool here, and if they're not, we kick their ass out.
    If you want comments and criticism on your playing, say so in your post. If someone doesn't ask for critique, don't critique their playing.

Keep it fresh. Don't spend all week working out a perfect chord melody. No need to play the melody at all. Let's just say its a given that knowing the melody is important.

Let's talk shop on the tune as we go. Talk about approaches, whatever. Ask players questions.

I'll start us off this week, ill try and post a new tune every Thursday night (yeah, I put Friday's date, it is Friday already in Belgium)

Have fun with this and keep it loose. All levels welcome. Make fun of a beginner and I'll harass you on every post you make here for the rest of your sad, pathetic life.

Here's one bluesy chorus on whisper not. Comments and criticism always welcome.

Who's in? Who's next? Post below!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jeff, I'm not sure I get the project entirely. Is it just improvisation and no melody?

This tune, technically, has several parts/repetitions and there are stops/hits, a shout chorus, tags and a tag end... it's not that approachable, really, it's quite complex!

How do you envisage it done? Or is it all up to us?

User Info Menu

Nice bluesy version Jeff. Great tune, I’ve probably dabbled with it occasionally but not tackled it properly, might have a go at it.

The way I see it, it’s one of those tunes that looks quite busy on the chart, but really it’s just based around Cm, Gm and Dm (and the bridge is Gm). It only looks more complicated because Benny Golson puts minor ii-Vs in front of all of them (and 2 coming out of the bridge to get back to Cm).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Jeff, I'm not sure I get the project entirely. Is it just improvisation and no melody?

This tune, technically, has several parts/repetitions and there are stops/hits, a shout chorus, tags and a tag end... it's not that approachable, really, it's quite complex!

I don’t think you need to make it that complicated, we’re not trying to reproduce Benny Golson’s arrangements or something. You can just improvise over the changes as below. (I will probably play the melody as well because I like it so much!)

JGBE Virtual Jam (Round 1) - Whisper Not-958a3bf1-9115-4d3d-9d00-ea69184d1fd4-png

User Info Menu

Edit: I mixed you up with grahambop and posted the relevant stuff from lawson's original thread, but since you where a big part of that thread, it is irrelevant here.

Instead I will post this classic

Don't overthink it, just play a chorus or two and take it from there
    Last edited by Lobomov; 01-15-2021 at 09:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Very nice playing and a fine sounding Tele there, Jeff!

User Info Menu

Completely up to you, but I envision this as the kind of the opposite of the practical standards thread. No arranging, no deep dive, just a virtual "jam session," a tune gets called, everybody takes a chorus or two. Mind you, all of that stuff from the practical standards thread is important-- this isn't intended to compete with that or replace it. It's just to offer a different way of looking at a tune, one that jazz players need to be able to do.

Melody doesn't have to be played, but you surely could. But the key is keep it simple, keep it brief, keep it about the improvisation, don't worry about tags, arrangements, etc. Just play the song like it'd be played at a jam with people you never met before.

Re: this tune and grahambop's analysis-- pretty much exactly how I thought of it here. Just played on some of the V's too. And yes, the melody gives a LOT of info about what's going on in this tune. I can't believe I hadn't played it before last night!

And thanks for the nice comments folks, hopefully a lot of people will take a chance on this and jump in. I look forward to listening.

User Info Menu

Nice playing and feel, "Mr B" -- I like it!

User Info Menu

Thanks. Well, I've done it while you've been posting.... Played the melody because I think it helps 'cement' the feel and done some improv. The tag ending is too fast for my thumb so I've simplified it and faded out. Hope that's all okay. It is what it is :-)

User Info Menu

Just put your lips together and blow
    That's funny, that's just what I did

User Info Menu

Graham -

I just saw it as a lot of repetitive minor ii-V's. Not very bluesy in the end, though.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Well, I've done it while you've been posting.... Played the melody because I think it helps 'cement' the feel and done some improv. The tag ending is too fast for my thumb so I've simplified it and faded out. Hope that's all okay. It is what it is :-)

Not a bad first impression, I'd say. And don't sweat the tag, even Benny didn't always play it.

The melody really does establish the feel on this one. If I keep the melody in mind it prevents me from running a bunch of ii-V's, which I think is good.

User Info Menu

Jeff -

If I keep the melody in mind it prevents me from running a bunch of ii-V's, which I think is good.
    Good advice. I used harm m's the first time then deserted them the second. Agree about the tag, can't see the point. I think the start/stops at the beginning are probably important although I think they drop them for the solos.

I have to say I'm having trouble hearing bluesy on the chords, don't know why. You did rather well there :-)

User Info Menu

Jeff -

Good advice. I used harm m's the first time then deserted them the second. Agree about the tag, can't see the point. I think the start/stops at the beginning are probably important although I think they drop them for the solos.

I have to say I'm having trouble hearing bluesy on the chords, don't know why. You did rather well there :-)
    Thanks--my issue is turning the blues off!

User Info Menu

Yeah! I love your initiative. Today I checked the chords on iReal Pro looked like a Dorian C, Locrian A and a fake Phrygian D then used as V to the Dorian G. I listened to Anita O’Day, Al Jarreau, and Art Blakey. I hope to have time to transcribe the melody tomorrow to find if my chord perception is ok. And to really get to know the melody. I hope more people pick up on this, it’s a great song a bit Dizzy like and Dizzy is one of my favourites. So bear with me another week and I’ll do my very first jazz improvisation on guitar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I do not understand ...is it a jam?
    Everyone has a different background.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    This weeks jam will be "Whisper Not," by Benny Golson.
    I liked it a lot, and it gets better as I get more familiar with the sound of the progression. I think the primal version also has a very bluesy approach. Great guitar sound too, reminded me of JJ Cale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    You can use whatever backing you like (or none if you prefer), there’s no rule about it.

User Info Menu

Yeah, literally just "take a solo on the tune." I like the 1 or 2 chorus rule. The idea here is to hear a bunch of different players approach a tune, and then ask questions and talk about ideas you like...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eck
    Yeah! I love your initiative. Today I checked the chords on iReal Pro looked like a Dorian C, Locrian A and a fake Phrygian D then used as V to the Dorian G. I listened to Anita O’Day, Al Jarreau, and Art Blakey. I hope to have time to transcribe the melody tomorrow to find if my chord perception is ok. And to really get to know the melody. I hope more people pick up on this, it’s a great song a bit Dizzy like and Dizzy is one of my favourites. So bear with me another week and I’ll do my very first jazz improvisation on guitar.

So glad you're getting in!

You can make this tune really simple, just 3 blues scales, Cm, Gm, Dm. Lots of good sounds in just that, no modes needed.

User Info Menu

There is my 2 choruses solo over Whisper Not.
    Hope you like it.
    Coments welcome
    Box

User Info Menu

Hope you like it.
    Coments welcome
    Box
    Love the nylon string. Beautiful lines and recording. Rock solid bassist as well.

User Info Menu

Hope you like it.
    Coments welcome
    Box
    Wow, that was great! I wouldn't want to have to follow you at a real jam. I would be keeping my guitar in it's case. Do you have any insights to share regarding your approach?

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Great. In time, backing not too loud, all the right notes + bluesy bits. You make it look easy :-)