Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Posts 201 to 250 of 259
  1. #201

    User Info Menu

    Here's one more crack at Elle. Sorry for the trebly guitar sound and the click track!


  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #202

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Here's one more crack at Elle. Sorry for the trebly guitar sound and the click track!

    Fantastic. You’re transitioning between chords in such a natural, melodic way.

  4. #203

    User Info Menu

    Chord Spelling

    C# E# G# B D# F# A# C# E# G# B D# F# A# C#
    C# E G# B D# F# A# C# E G# B D# F# A# C#
    C# E G# B D# F# A C# E G# B D# F# A C#
    C# E G# B D F# A C# E G# B D F# A C#
    C# E G B D F# A C# E G B D F# A C#
    C E G B D F# A C E G B D F# A C

    C E G B D F A C E G B D F A C

    C E G Bb D F A C E G Bb D F A C
    C Eb G Bb D F A C Eb G Bb D F A C
    C Eb G Bb D F Ab C Eb G Bb D F Ab C
    C Eb G Bb Db F Ab C Eb G Bb Db F Ab C
    C Eb Gb Bb Db F Ab C Eb Gb Bb Db F Ab C
    Cb Eb Gb Bb Db F Ab Cb Eb Gb Bb Db F Ab Cb



  5. #204

    User Info Menu

    I have a copy arriving later today. One question tho, I don't really have a CD player...how important is the CD with the book? If it's simply backing tracks, then I have BiaB for that. Otherwise, I'll have to go dig in a closet as I know I have one for my PC in there somewhere.

  6. #205

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I have a copy arriving later today. One question tho, I don't really have a CD player...how important is the CD with the book? If it's simply backing tracks, then I have BiaB for that. Otherwise, I'll have to go dig in a closet as I know I have one for my PC in there somewhere.
    I didn't get a cd. There was website link and a code that let's you access the backing tracks. The tracks make things simpler though I've mostly recorded myself to create backing tracks. I'm trying to practice chord work and my bass at the same time as doing these lessons.

  7. #206

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    I have a copy arriving later today. One question tho, I don't really have a CD player...how important is the CD with the book? If it's simply backing tracks, then I have BiaB for that. Otherwise, I'll have to go dig in a closet as I know I have one for my PC in there somewhere.
    Welcome to the study group Bahnzo! I find the CD to be very helpful, not so much for the backing tracks but to listen and emulate GF's phrasing.

  8. #207

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Welcome to the study group Bahnzo! I find the CD to be very helpful, not so much for the backing tracks but to listen and emulate GF's phrasing.
    That's what I was wondering...whether it's simply backing tracks, or if there are audio examples of the lessons.

  9. #208

    User Info Menu

    Must confess. I've hardly listened to the audio. I did use the backing track for one exercise, but that's about it. If you can read music I think you'll be fine. (There is some tab - quite a lot of it, actually)

  10. #209

    User Info Menu

    Well good luck. It didn't come with a CD, but instead a code that I entered and downloaded the mp3's. Win-win.

  11. #210

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    That's what I was wondering...whether it's simply backing tracks, or if there are audio examples of the lessons.
    Both.
    He plays selected exercises and then has a backing track for soloing over. I don't listen to the CD much but I'm glad I have it.
    If you have a PC, you should be able to hear the disc that way.

  12. #211

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Well good luck. It didn't come with a CD, but instead a code that I entered and downloaded the mp3's. Win-win.
    That's increasingly common and I actually prefer it. (CDs are easily damaged and misplaced.)

  13. #212

    User Info Menu

    The audio is important to hear Garrison's phrasing; especially that chapter on phrasing/articulation. If Garrison were still with us I have no doubt he would be helping us along on these threads. He was a nice guy who responded to inquiries about his book.

  14. #213

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    That's increasingly common and I actually prefer it. (CDs are easily damaged and misplaced.)
    Agreed x100.

    Also, what is going on here that I'm downloading a Garrison+Fewell mp4 on this forum everytime I visit. Even typing this reply downloaded it. Weird....

    Edit: it's on every page. Anything that's linked, like a video, Soundcloud, etc is being downloaded as a file instead of shown as intended.

  15. #214

    User Info Menu

    Had the book for a couple days now. The first chapter was kind of a review for me at least. One thing I did find new was the part on tensions and which ones fit the chords best (or maybe simply used most). I never really gave that any thought.

    Working on the minor triad +extensions around the circle of fifths and gave the tune Elle a little work. I don't have a web cam (I keep saying someday I'll get one) but I'll post some soundcloud stuff now and then to share progress with everyone. I do like seeing and hearing what people post as I think it opens up ideas and concepts we maybe didn't consider.

  16. #215

    User Info Menu

    Moving right along. I've been doing the minor triad stuff from chapter 2, and some of the phrasing studies from the start of Ch. 3. I tried to use all of that in the slow bossa tune Elle.

    I'm really liking this so far. I feel like this is something I've been wanting for awhile now. I've been trying to study triads from various other sources and nothing ever seemed to stick. This is off to a good start I think and I'm felling good about this.


  17. #216

    User Info Menu

    Well done, Bahnzo - very relaxed and laid back!

  18. #217

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnzo
    Moving right along. I've been doing the minor triad stuff from chapter 2, and some of the phrasing studies from the start of Ch. 3. I tried to use all of that in the slow bossa tune Elle.
    Nice, Bahnzo! Sounds like you're getting comfortable with the shapes and transitioning between them.

  19. #218

    User Info Menu

    Well, I'm pretty far behind everyone else, but I figured I'd make a video of pages 12-13 in chapter 2. I do those pages, then fool around for a bit. I'm embarrassed by the sloppiness, as it was a first take intended just to see if the set up worked and I didn't warm up or anything. I'm lazy though - once I recorded *something* I stopped, lol. But, now that I've broken the ice on doing an example, hopefully I'll do more with better production values and fewer mistakes/more warm-up.

    The backing track is something I made in iRealPro and I'm using a 1999 Gibson Historic ES-335 with T-I 0.011 flats plugged straight into a Fender Rumble 500 bass amp (along with my phone playing the iRealPro track) and the sound is being captured by the mic on my laptop.

    OMG the camera adds 20 lbs!!!!


  20. #219

    User Info Menu

    Nice, Guitarjay! Beautiful guitar there!

  21. #220

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    Well, I'm pretty far behind everyone else, but I figured I'd make a video of pages 12-13 in chapter 2. I do those pages, then fool around for a bit. I'm embarrassed by the sloppiness, as it was a first take intended just to see if the set up worked and I didn't warm up or anything. I'm lazy though - once I recorded *something* I stopped, lol. But, now that I've broken the ice on doing an example, hopefully I'll do more with better production values and fewer mistakes/more warm-up.
    Awesome, Jay. If that's what you're doing with page 12, I can't wait to see what you get up to by the end of the book!

  22. #221

    User Info Menu

    Here's a chart I made of Fewell Triads + Extentions. I use this to help visualize the relationships between the related triads. It's not the entire circle, but I have them in 5ths since you can also play the minor a 5th higher...ie: over a Cm you can also play the Gm triads.

    Google drive link as well as an attachment here.

    FewellTriads1.pdf - Google Drive
    Attached Images Attached Images

  23. #222

    User Info Menu

    I know the group is moving rapidly onward and upwards (I'm rather envious of those on Chapter 4 as that looks like a gem of chapter). I'm keen to stay involved but my foundations are still shaky so I'm sticking around Chapter Two for a little while.

    I'm really just starting my jazz journey in earnest and my primary goal is to simply learn the melodies and changes to songs. Distractions to that simple goal, for example by this Study Group, are nice and, I think beneficial - but I need to manage the time spent on them.

    Anyway, my main issue with the GF stuff is having the knowledge and ability, the muscle memory and the brain memory, to jump between shapes and triads as the chords change. I can (kind of) fudge this if I always jump to the root on beat 1, but that's not great music. Nevertheless, that's my current position.

    So whilst you guys are forging on I'm practicing the basic shapes (not even the triads from the second half of Chapter Two) against all the minor and major chords of these songs I'm learning - thereby killing two birds with one stone. Once I'm happy with finding the shapes in real time, I shall move on to the triads, and then finally try and do the same but land on notes other than the root.

    Then I'll play catch-up with the group :-)

    Here's an example. This is Minor Swing - a nice and simple tune, played in a very non-gypsy way - that should allow me to jump between Am / Dm and C#m (i.e. E major) shapes. Even this I struggle with, hence this need to tread water for a while.

    SoundClick

    Anyway, I really just wanted to let you all know I'm still here in the group!

    Derek

  24. #223

    User Info Menu

    No need to hurry or trying to "keep up", Derek - take your time. IMO it's a good idea to work through each chapter in depth.

  25. #224

    User Info Menu

    Hi everyone, this is my first post on this thread. This is also my first ever recording uploaded to the public. Yikes!

    I think I should introduce myself. I am a Finnish (male) 59 years of age and very active jazz guitar student. I started playing guitar again 20 months ago after 40 years break. Played in a rock band in 70's and studied for one year mainly Leavitt's Modern Method in a conservatory. But had to finish high school, study, get a family, etc.

    For the past 20 months I've taken lessons on a weekly basis. Played Modern Method Vol 1 and 2 and now going through same author's Melodic Rhythms. Once done with that, I plan to study also Vol 3.

    Due to the unfortunate break on my lessons, I ordered Fewell's book. I made the backing track for Elle using iRealpro. Recorded the comping and melody using Garageband. Just the melody. I need to practice the triads a little bit more, but planning to add a solo as well. Oh by the way - my guitar is Ibanez AF-200, which I got a couple of weeks ago. Changed from LBG30.

    Here you go -

  26. #225

    User Info Menu

    Welcome to the study group, Vesa - looking forward to your contributions - good job so far!

  27. #226

    User Info Menu

    Nice start, VesaW -- and welcome aboard!

  28. #227

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by VesaW
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on this thread. This is also my first ever recording uploaded to the public. Yikes!
    Welcome Vesa! It wasn't too long ago that I posted my first recording as part of a Robert Conti Study Group. It gets easier, but not necessarily easy. I enjoyed your first post. Cheers.

  29. #228

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by VesaW
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on this thread. This is also my first ever recording uploaded to the public. Yikes!
    Welcome, Vesa. Sounds good. We're glad you're with us!

  30. #229

    User Info Menu

    Hey Everybody!

    I'm very late, but i have this book for years and never used it realy. I always thought I had to master some other things first. I loved the sound samples and I loved your videos and tracks. So I decided to get in with you all!

    I will start right now.

    Greetings from Germany,
    Philipp

  31. #230

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PHN
    Hey Everybody!

    I'm very late, but i have this book for years and never used it realy. I always thought I had to master some other things first. I loved the sound samples and I loved your videos and tracks. So I decided to get in with you all!

    I will start right now.

    Greetings from Germany,
    Philipp
    Hi Philipp - welcome to the forum and to the study group. Where in Germany are you?

  32. #231

    User Info Menu

    I'm from Essen, Ruhrgebiet

  33. #232

    User Info Menu

    So, this evening i worked on Exercise 2.2. and i realised there are 4 permuations (?) through the circle. Do you practiced them all in depth?

  34. #233

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PHN
    So, this evening i worked on Exercise 2.2. and i realised there are 4 permuations (?) through the circle. Do you practiced them all in depth?
    Yes - they are important - for example where you can place a triplet on three adjacent strings using the rest stroke (sweep picking).
    BTW: I'm located in Hildesheim, 30km south of Hannover.

  35. #234

    User Info Menu

    I'm working on my triad but i can't find a workout that makes me feel progressing. How did you practice the shapes? Only one triad? Triad + extension?

  36. #235

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PHN
    I'm working on my triad but i can't find a workout that makes me feel progressing. How did you practice the shapes? Only one triad? Triad + extension?
    Not sure what your problem is. We all (in this study group) practiced them as written in the book, learning where they are located on the fretboard and then try to apllay them to the track at the end of the respective chapter...

  37. #236

    User Info Menu

    Sorry, my question was not clear enough!

    I practiced the triads+extension in the circle of 5th, like GF recommended. But it didn't feel deep enough.

    Do you developed some exercisses to practice the triads more in depth, more versataile?

  38. #237

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PHN
    I'm working on my triad but i can't find a workout that makes me feel progressing. How did you practice the shapes? Only one triad? Triad + extension?
    I think of it as triad + extension.
    In the case of Dm, it extends to Em, F, G, Am, Bdim, C.

  39. #238

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PHN
    Sorry, my question was not clear enough!

    I practiced the triads+extension in the circle of 5th, like GF recommended. But it didn't feel deep enough.

    Do you developed some exercisses to practice the triads more in depth, more versataile?
    I didn't do that. I practiced with the tracks provided. I tried to really listen how my note choices were sounding against the chords.
    I tried to imitate the phrasing the GF used in his examples.

    Maybe you could try to insert the exercises from the earlier part of chapter 3 into the "Hot Saw" solo ?
    See if that works.

  40. #239

    User Info Menu

    Chapter 2 is just basic training to get the triads and their extensions under your fingers so you will have them ready when you need them to play over a chord progression. Much too early to feel like you are progressing. It's a drill right now and a useful one at that.

  41. #240

    User Info Menu

    Like Tommo said, it's really just exercises explaining a concept at this point. In Part II it looks like we'll start with more application.

    But, I've been doing a lot of that on my own right now. When playing a tune, try putting what you've learned in these simpler exercises to work over a while song.

  42. #241

    User Info Menu

    I'll jump on the bandwagon of Tommo and Bahnzo - in addition to working through the examples in the book, I work on applying them to songs I'm working on. In my case, that tends to be bluesy/soul-jazz type material: Sugar, Moaning, Bag's Groove, Cornbread, etc.

    Doing this helps me get it (or at least parts of it) under my fingers and in my ears better, but it also makes me fall behind the rest of the study group!

  43. #242

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarJay
    I'll jump on the bandwagon of Tommo and Bahnzo - in addition to working through the examples in the book, I work on applying them to songs I'm working on. In my case, that tends to be bluesy/soul-jazz type material: Sugar, Moaning, Bag's Groove, Cornbread, etc.

    Doing this helps me get it (or at least parts of it) under my fingers and in my ears better, but it also makes me fall behind the rest of the study group!
    But it makes you get ahead at the same time because you are applying your knowledge to music.

  44. #243

    User Info Menu

    I decided to compose some licks based on the two first triads and then i will practice them in the circle of fiths.

    I hope so i will feel more comfortable with the material. I dont like the feeling, that i missed something. So i will start right with digging deep. This will be also a good preparation for Elle

  45. #244

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by PHN
    Sorry, my question was not clear enough!

    I practiced the triads+extension in the circle of 5th, like GF recommended. But it didn't feel deep enough.

    Do you developed some exercisses to practice the triads more in depth, more versataile?
    Hey PHN, welcome aboard, mate!

    I second all of the suggestions so far. Really, this just takes time and practice to get under your fingers and into your visualisation of the fretboard. Most of us have started out being taught to play in position, so this way of seeing things as triads moving up the fretboard is quite foreign, and will take time.

    One thing that I've found very helpful (and that I've probably already mentioned elsewhere) is to start each practice session with a warmup that consists of:
    - Choosing a key, for example, f minor. Choose a different key each day.
    - Playing the triads of the key (Figs. 2.5 and 2.7, plus the two that are missing from 2.7) up and down the fretboard a couple of times. This will only take a minute or two, but helps to orient you.
    - Improvising freely for a few minutes using those triads, moving up and back down the neck. Don't just play the notes, try to make melodies. This is a melodic approach.
    - Once you're comfortable over the root minor, if you have a looper pedal or something, you can play with those same triads over the various substitutions. E.g., Fm over AbMaj, Bb7, Cm, Dm7b5, etc.

    Anyway, I think a really important part of nailing this stuff in is giving yourself a chance to really play with it, using play in the true sense of the word. Be easy on yourself: True internalisation takes a while, but it does happen. (And that's why you need to be selective. I've got lines in my playing that I can't stand, but I can't help but play because I drilled them a year ago!)

  46. #245

    User Info Menu

    I kind of promised a version of Elle with a solo, didn't I?

    Improvisation is difficult. As a beginner, one should have mercy on him/herself (as my teacher tells me).
    I have difficulties with triad pairs (to get anything that sounds music). I feel much more comfortable with scales and arpeggios.
    Also having been using old school Leavitt fingerings, the ones presented in the book cause pain.

    Here you go -
    .

  47. #246

    User Info Menu

    Very nice, VesaW. A+!

    Definitely sounds like the material from the book, and great timing. Would be good to hear you keep it up for a few runs through and stretch out, take some chances. But plenty of time for that.

    Well done, looking forward to your posts going forward!

  48. #247

    User Info Menu

    Like Jay said: good job!

  49. #248

    User Info Menu

    Yes I certainly heard the triad pairs towards the end. Great groove.

  50. #249

    User Info Menu

    Great thread, looking forward to learning more from it!

  51. #250

    User Info Menu

    Hello there!!!
    I just started the book today and I really enjoying it. My playing is mostly based on chords shapes so I think that this book will give me more options to improvise.
    Last edited by clebergf; 06-04-2020 at 02:28 PM.