The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
Posts 601 to 618 of 618
    I've been working "the basics" section from the DVD workbook.

I happened upon a nice guitar-centric way of practising the halfstep rules for variety. Basically, I just work from the "1" descending. Then, 1-up to 2 and back down, same rules. Then scale from 1 up to 3 and back down etc etc. Once you get to 3, you can incorporate 3 half steps... Anyway, I reach the upper limit of the position, and moved on to another position...

I may work "1 lines" that way for a week or so and then, on to another. It's a nice mental break and easy to hear/conceptualise. You aren't changing rules four ever other iteration. They're mostly ear training four me anyway.

It's just variety, but it also suits the peculiarities of the guitar particularly well IMO.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I notice it's what Parker did in A Night In Tunisia, Embraceable You, What Is This Thing Called Love, and Hot House.
    I've seen this in several Bird solos I've transcribed. Seem like it was his favorite line for minor II V.

User Info Menu

Looks like he's at the Vanguard this week, y'all.

User Info Menu

Pasquale showed me a cool exercise when you run the scales through a tune. Instead of running the scales all starting on beat one, you take off one note at a time from the start of the scale, so you end up starting scales on different parts of the beat.

E.g for the blues. Bar 1 - C7, you start on beat one and run up C7 from the tonic. Bar 2 - F7, you start on the off beat of beat one which would be starting the scale on the second degree and so on.

we did this on cherokee and we also did the reverse, where we take off a note at the end of the scale. So you would always be starting on beat one every time you run a scale but ending on a different part of the beat.

you could then probably combine the two together (haven't worked on it yet). But you would start on beat one and end on beat 4 then the next bar you would start on the off beat of one and end on the off beat of 3 etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz
    Pasquale showed me a cool exercise when you run the scales through a tune. Instead of running the scales all starting on beat one, you take off one note at a time from the start of the scale, so you end up starting scales on different parts of the beat.

E.g for the blues. Bar 1 - C7, you start on beat one and run up C7 from the tonic. Bar 2 - F7, you start on the off beat of beat one which would be starting the scale on the second degree and so on.

we did this on cherokee and we also did the reverse, where we take off a note at the end of the scale. So you would always be starting on beat one every time you run a scale but ending on a different part of the beat.

you could then probably combine the two together (haven't worked on it yet). But you would start on beat one and end on beat 4 then the next bar you would start on the off beat of one and end on the off beat of 3 etc.
    This is a combination of two BH exercises isn’t it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    This is a combination of two BH exercises isn’t it?
    Yup!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by don_oz

Pasquale also demonstrates this exercise in his third My Music Masterclass video, albeit on one chord/scale.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Pasquale also demonstrates this exercise in his third My Music Masterclass video, albeit on one chord/scale.
    He definitely does but I never thought to use it to practice running scales on a tune.

User Info Menu

Excellent

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I donated and hope others here will!

User Info Menu

There are so many gems among Chris' videos and this one posted last month was an eye opener... maybe ear opener, for me. We guitarists are fortunate to have a polyphonic instrument literally at our fingertips.

User Info Menu

Barry resumes his workshop after his 2+ month illness:
    244 W. 54th St. 10th Floor
    New York

User Info Menu

I see no one has posted about this for a while. Just thought I'd say Chris has been on a roll lately, doing a bunch more excellent videos on Barry topics. Check them out.

User Info Menu

Hi. I just found Chris' videos and I just found this group. I spent a few hours a couple of days ago working on the various 6 dim scale and harmonizations. Great stuff. Looking forward to working more on the BH material.

User Info Menu

Hi everybody , may i ask which scale play over diminished chords in Barry’s aproach? i couldnt find information about this anywhere, thanks.

User Info Menu

Just wondering, has anyone taken notes on Chris's videos that you'd like to share? I think I started but I misplaced them.

User Info Menu