The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 83

User Info Menu

The Robert Conti Study Group is now working on Ticket To Improv, Volume 4: Project 1 (The Days of Wine and Roses)

All are welcome!

Our study group has evolved a few basic guidelines that have helped us. These are based on the fact that most of us are either beginners in jazz improvisation or old hands who still feel like we haven't gotten a good grip on soloing yet. So, here's what we do:
    • We move at the pace of 8 measures per week, learning the exercise solo composed by Conti and transcribed in the digital transcription booklet on the DVD. Some get behind, some run a bit ahead, but generally 8 measures per week is the norm.
    • We post a video clip each week, typically on Tuesday, of ourselves playing the scheduled chunk.
    • We use any background track we like. Conti has one on the DVD, but many other sources exist, and we use whatever we want!
    • We don't do much critique, but sometimes do openly ask for advice. Mainly, we cheer, support, encourage, and empower each other. We don't offer criticism unless it's asked for, but positive advice is helpful.
    • We try to learn the solo as written and also to make it our own in phrasing and timing.
    • Some like to post a clip playing an arrangement of the "head" of the tune. That's fine, we enjoy it, but nobody is obligated or expected to do that.
    • We avoid detailed wrangling over theory, but seek to grow in the actual practice of playing.
    • We don't branch off much into other approaches to the tunes, other solos, other styles. We have succeeded so far because we stay focused!
    • We don't regard any of these guidelines as inflexible and we don't get in arguments about it!

Here is a proposed schedule for posting:
    September 18: Measures 1-8
    September 25: Measures 1-16
    October 2: Measures 1-24
    October 9: Measures 1-32 (full solo)
    October 16: Final take (optional)

If you are planning to do this, please post a simple "I'm In!" or something like it.
    Last edited by losaltosjoe; 10-02-2018 at 04:36 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have to order this. I don't have it yet.

User Info Menu

Here is my take on measures 1 through 8. After that I played those same lines, rearranged and in different keys, over Blue Bossa. I'll be happy to discuss that in more detail if anyone is interested.

Chris

User Info Menu

Nice job Chris, thanks for getting things going, you are sounding great by the way, is that a Conti guitar?

What tempo did you play that? I have been working at 106bpm, yours sounded quite a bit faster.

I would be interested in how you applied the lines to Blue Bossa, not too much theory though.

Andy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    Here is my take on measures 1 through 8. After that I played those same lines, rearranged and in different keys, over Blue Bossa. I'll be happy to discuss that in more detail if anyone is interested.

Chris

Very nice. Well thought out and well played.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

There are three performances of TDWR that really inspire me. One is Bireli Lagrene:

The second, coming from a very different stylistic bag, a light swing in a trio with a nylon string guitar, is the Earl Klugh Trio:

The third I'm not sure I can post. I got to hear Royce Campbell, who was Henry Mancini's guitarist for 20+ years, sit in with a local piano-bass-drums trio, and they played this in a little establishment in town. I recorded it and enjoy it immensely. I'll try to see if there is a way I can upload it because it's fun to hear a real pro who just showed up and jammed with the local guys.

User Info Menu

Love Earl Klug's tone in that recording above. And the reverb/delay is so pro, great sound.

User Info Menu

Here is my first 8 bars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    Here is my first 8 bars.
    Sounds nice Andy!

User Info Menu

So here is my first 8. I am hoping to find a better, less "rikki-tikki" backing track.

User Info Menu

So not liking the "bouncy" feel of my iRealPro backing track, I went in search of another, but when slowed down, I don't think it's that much better. It's hard to find a nice "crisp" swing feel on a 100-120 bpm backing track.

User Info Menu

Nice job Chris, thanks for getting things going, you are sounding great by the way, is that a Conti guitar?

What tempo did you play that? I have been working at 106bpm, yours sounded quite a bit faster.

Yeah, I bought a Conti Entrada back in June and I love it. It sounds and plays (and looks) great. I'm not sure what tempo the backing track is, I just got it off of youtube.

I would be interested in how you applied the lines to Blue Bossa, not too much theory though.

I have "The Jazz Lines" source code book, and in the beginning Robert explains that many of the lines are based on major seventh chord tones. Those chord tones can fit around any chord type. So over a CMaj7 chord, you would obviously play a CMaj7 based lick. Over a Cm7 chord you can play an EbMaj7 based lick, becuase an EbMaj7 chord contains the chord tones of a rootless Cm9 chord. Over a Dm7 - G7 you can play an FMaj7 based lick. Like the minor chord I described previously, it will contain the chord tones of a Dm9, and over the G7 it will contain all of the color tones, the 7th, 9th, 11th, and 13th of the chord. So it has a nice "inside" sound over that ii-V. For an "outside" sound, or over a Dm7b5 - G7alt, you can play an AbMaj7 based lick, which will give you altered tones. This may sound confusing, but it's actually pretty simple once you wrap your head around it. So I look for the strong chord tones in the lick, and then move it up or down the fretboard to the desired chord as described above, and then use my ear to decide if I got it right and if it sounds good. This isn't the whole "The Jazz Lines" book, just the first few pages which is as far as I've got so far. But it's been very helpful to me. Alternatively, you can just try a lick at every fret over a chord or series of chords and use your ears. But the above method saves a lot of time.

Chris

User Info Menu

Thanks for that Chris,
    I had picked up that on bar 15 Mr Conti explains in some detail, using a Bb chord over a G-7. I don't quite understand you saying "For an "outside" sound, or over a Dm7b5 - G7alt, you can play an AbMaj7 based lick" and how they relate?
    Andy

User Info Menu

I don't quite understand you saying "For an "outside" sound, or over a Dm7b5 - G7alt, you can play an AbMaj7 based lick" and how they relate?
    Andy
    I highly recommend checking out "The Jazz Lines" book/DVD. Robert explains it much better than I can, and I'm not even 100% certain I've got it all right. Like I said, I've only worked through the beginning of the book. I plan on tackling a couple of Robert's advanced solos after we finish TTI volume 4 and then I plan on going through "The Jazz Lines" book and DVD very thoroughly.

User Info Menu

Here is my take on bars 1 - 16

Bars 1 - 16

User Info Menu

Thanks for that Chris,
    I had picked up that on bar 15 Mr Conti explains in some detail, using a Bb chord over a G-7. I don't quite understand you saying "For an "outside" sound, or over a Dm7b5 - G7alt, you can play an AbMaj7 based lick" and how they relate?
    Andy

Bb and G-7 are practically the same thing.
    Bb = Bb, D, F
    G-7 = G, Bb, D, F
    The only difference is the G in the Bass.
    Therefore you can often use the same melodic over Bb and G-7.

I hope that clears it up a bit.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that Chris,
    Andy

By using that same principle;
    Dm7b5 = D, F, Ab, C
    G7alt = G, Ab, B, Eb, F
    These chords usually resolve to C minor

These chords combine to be have a Ab, C, Eb, G within them (an Ab major7) and this chord is very similar to the resolution chord which is C minor.

I hope that clears it up a bit for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dio666
    I highly recommend checking out "The Jazz Lines" book/DVD. Robert explains it much better than I can, and I'm not even 100% certain I've got it all right. Like I said, I've only worked through the beginning of the book. I plan on tackling a couple of Robert's advanced solos after we finish TTI volume 4 and then I plan on going through "The Jazz Lines" book and DVD very thoroughly.
    The jazz lines book sounds like the way to go, although Mr Conti said there was a new product coming out soon that would be good.
    I will wait until we finish volume 4, I am also working through volume 2 at the moment, because I missed that one first time around.
    A little theory is useful at the moment and I do appreciate the explanations put forward. Remember with me you need to imagine explaining it to the most stupid person you ever met, and start from there.

Thanks for your help guys.

User Info Menu

I will wait until we finish volume 4, I am also working through volume 2 at the moment, because I missed that one first time around.
    I really liked volume 2. I like to push the tempo on One Note Samba and play it as fast as I possibly can. I have every solo memorized from volumes 1 through 3 and I try and play through a few of them every day as a warm-up so I don't forget them. I've thought about recording and posting in the old TTI threads, and maybe I'll get around to it at some point, but I would rather spend my time working on the new material than spend it messing around with recording equipment.

A little theory is useful at the moment and I do appreciate the explanations put forward. Remember with me you need to imagine explaining it to the most stupid person you ever met, and start from there.
    We must be distant cousins, because I'm the same way.

I'm back from vacation and happy to get the first 16 bars on video. I've enjoyed all of your posts while I was away. Cheers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    I'm back from vacation and happy to get the first 16 bars on video. I've enjoyed all of your posts while I was away. Cheers.

Sounds great Joe, nice backing track.

User Info Menu

Well done, Joe!

User Info Menu

Here is my mm. 1-16. I"m wondering if I'm counting the time a little wrong in mm. 13-16, seems like I'm not ending exactly on the right spot. Let me know what you think!

I also thought the old warhorse 1970's Aria Pro II PE180 sounded pretty nice!

User Info Menu

Here I am thinking I had to order this DVD and putting it off because a sea of other things came up lately (-taking care of an elderly mother who is sinking deeper into the fog of dementia is the hardest thing I've ever done and it ain't over by a long shot) and over the weekend I found a sealed copy atop my printer. I don't remember when I ordered it. But I got it.

So I'm getting back on the Conti train. (Still play the "Rummy" head daily and do some solo choruses on Bb Blues.)

O, and I changed my pick grip again. What the f*ck is WRONG with me???? ;o)

Anyway, I've been on the sidelines but the game's not over.

Thanks to all of you for keeping this going.

User Info Menu

Lawson, it sounds great to me.

Mark, I feel your pain. I am spending a lot of time with my elderly parents at the moment, dad has had 2 strokes this year and its sad to see him so diminished, Mum has early dementia and is looking after him. Its a worry thats for sure.

Here is my effort on bars 1 -16, its great to be back playing it really takes my mind off it all.