The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzyteach65

Unfortunately, I am not the best at walking a bassline. I do know how to solo using block chords, and dorian harmony, but I wanna be able to be like Lenny Breau and comp and solo simultaneously. One of his former students lives close to me. I think I should ask him about it.

Thankfully, we don't start gigging until the start of next year
    are there any videos on youtube of breau comping and soloing simultaneously. I have never seen this technique and would like to see or hear it being played.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Jeff Brent Guest
    I know this is an old thread about a wonderful online study of jazz guitar chords that Joe Bianco and I collaborated on together, but I thought you all should know that I just got a music theory book published by Hal Leonard.

It's called "MODALOGY - scales, modes & chords: the primordial building blocks of music"

You can check it out here:

There is an extensive preview section, along with a gaggle of reviews, a FAQ section, and other way cool stuff.

Best to All!
    Last edited by Jeff Brent; 03-25-2012 at 09:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Looks very cool - I'm a total book whore, and I'm sure I'll end up buying it. :-0

User Info Menu

TIL THERE WAS YOU is not a common jazz standard but provides an opportunity for two cool sound effects ..... this is outside the box frilly less then serious experimentation. 1. After a you play the melody or after a singer sings there were bells play and experiment with overtones to hint and emulate bells .... will not go further into it but D Major is the best key for both these outside the box experiments .....
    2. Same song same key after you play or sing there were birds play birdlike trills or try to emulate or hint at bird song sounds ..... in D Major trill options are there across and up and down the neck ....... I will try to add something pic or tab or vid if there is interest remember less is more for these two techniques let's not shoot for Roy Clark
    ) some of you may be serious players who avoid this type of musical clowning ..... others may be like me a boundary is there to deny and not taking yourself too seriously
    Last edited by chazz; 03-26-2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: grammer

User Info Menu

2nd on the tuck and pattie super duper duo!!!! While you
    re at it check out anything Kurt Elling sings State of the Art Male Jazz Singer!!!! L. Hobgood's piano work will light the way for you on nature boy.