The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 290

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

About swing, rhythm, how would you call this ?
    Mess, lazy ?...

User Info Menu

Where's the drummer he's listening to?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Where's the drummer he's listening to?
    What do you think he's listening to ?

User Info Menu

Himself?

Or are you talking the sax player? He's ok, just really laid back...that piano players intro is rough...hard to listen to.

User Info Menu

Himself?

Or are you talking the sax player? He's ok, just really laid back...that piano players intro is rough...hard to listen to.
    You're a gentleman, you're never rude.

User Info Menu

Or are you talking the sax player? He's ok, just really laid back...
    And his name is Lionel by the look of it.

User Info Menu

And now does it swing ? Same drummer !
    Sure it does !

here’s how the post started. i know it’s not tight, that’s because it’s still unnatural. I feel when i can do this as second nature I’ll be swingin.

ill be rude; that pianist is a groove assassin

User Info Menu

Joe, I'm not a good example of swinging but you should sing something and play it. That would be natural.
    Listen to something, right foot on one, hand clap on two, left foot on three, hand clap on four and sing something.
    Things come this way.

Sorry, that was 4 years ago, maybe it's better now or worst.

User Info Menu

Joe, what did your playing sound like before?

my eighth notes or ny actual playing? a string of 8th notes would be dum de dum de dum for the most part

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    ill be rude; that pianist is a groove assassin
    On the bass he is very good but he wants to play the piano, he usually plays alone so he feels alone every time, when he calls me for a gig I'm sometimes not comfortable, I have to blow and blow, it's linear, not enough space...
    Sometimes he can be very good, he plays very well salsa, I don't.
    I'm old fashionable, I'm old school but not New Orleans.

User Info Menu

here’s how the post started. i know it’s not tight, that’s because it’s still unnatural. I feel when i can do this as second nature I’ll be swingin.
    WHAT? What was that plinking stuff you were doing? When you get it right? I hope you never get that drivel right. In fact, you will never get it right because it's drivel.

You're making this a million times more difficult for yourself than it needs to be. You've got your head in a place where you're scared to move in case it's 'wrong'.

Chrissakes, Joe, I don't want to see that.

I meant what I said. Dum-de-dum-de-dum. That's all it is. Don't measure it, don't even think about it, just play the stupid thing.

Dum-de-dum-de-dum. Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush. Anybody can do it. Little kids can do it. Just do it.

heres my dum de dum. i will like the new way better when it becomes natural: i shouldnt have posted my first attempts at a new time feel

User Info Menu

Joe, what did your playing sound like before?
    He plays nice things (solo guitar), same standards than you : Fella Bar Barlight, Flora, There's always be another me.
    He just needs a right hand, when he gets it... that will be great !
    See his Youtube Channel in his profile.

User Info Menu

heres my dum de dum. i will like the new way better when it becomes natural: i shouldnt have posted my first attempts at a new time feel
    Better. In fact, no problem. It's not the dum-de-dum, it's the awkward fingering, isn't it? You drag because your poor brain can't cope :-)

Do something simpler. Play in phrases. Easier fingering. Don't ask me what.

nice pink thing

User Info Menu

I know that side of him, I wanted to hear his swing...

Can anybody post an example of swinging by playing...yknow...music?

User Info Menu

Yo, that’s some good upbeat placement at the start but I kind of feel you are overthinking it.

Try playing a scale or line accenting the upbeats after satisfying yourself that you know where that upbeats are in the tempo.

Don’t need to think this through too much. I think once you are happy accenting and locking in the upbeats you can experiment with straightening out a bit. That’s how it seems to be for me, at least.

sigh

User Info Menu

Yall make booty music as much fun as math.

Joe, take a tune, a real tune, and blow some changes over the drum loop.

I don't know how anyone thinks they can tell anything from these posts. You might swing great already. I have no clue.

User Info Menu

I know that side of him, I wanted to hear his swing...

Can anybody post an example of swinging by playing...yknow...music?
    OK, a nasty example, if Joe needs a right hand, I need both.

User Info Menu

... heres my dum de dum. ...
    Just take care, what is written da - da - da - da ...
    to be read as dum-de-dum-de ...
    is played with accent on "de",
    so it is to be felt as DE-dum-DE-dum ...

Yo really should not try too hard. Unless you expect a call asking you to emulate specific feel of one, or another, just let it go naturally. Too many pages are wasted to say "accents are reversed".

Was it in this thread, who is pro and who is not ...whatever
    You are pro if you decide so.
    Important is to become an established pro and to create demand for own product, goods or services.

That is, clients to know about you, what you have to offer and to actually request it.
    Being regularly paid for above makes you successful pro.
    If you get paid and they call you again, you are good pro.
    You have to do some advertising, but advertising alone makes you only wannabe pro.
    If there was demand, but not any more, it makes you -used-to-be- pro.
    And so on.

User Info Menu

sigh
    No, DON'T try and 'do this' and 'do that'.

That's precisely how people get it wrong. Their conscious brain is interfering instead of just doing it and feeling/listening to it. How can you enjoy a walk when you're thinking if your feet are the right distance apart and other complete and utter bollocks like that? Just walk and look at the nice scenery and stuff.

Jeesus. This is how teachers make money out of you.

That's right, I'm angry! Fed up with it.