The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

I'd be up for Guitar Style. Challenging for amatuers like me, indeed.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    I'd be up for Guitar Style. Challenging for amatuers like me, indeed.
    Yes. I'm new too I think I can slog through the blues section. Seems easier on the eyes to say the least.

User Info Menu

Well there's two. Can we get three more brave souls?

User Info Menu

The Blues section is great. I'm thinking that we should agree on 1-2 tempos (i.e. one slow and one faster):

Then:
    1. Lay down a rhythm track
    2. Upload one line (4 bars) of solo per week or two (or more if desirable).

Keep going...

User Info Menu

I'm partial to the Joe Pass Guitar Style. Once many years back I learned some of the blues lines in it, but wasn't at a point where I really appreciated what I was doing. I also like that it does not have tab. I am trying to improve my sight-reading and when you get handed a chart in most situations, you won't have tab, so I like working out my own fingering. That's my preference, of course, not the Law of the Medes and the Persians.

On JPGS, the question would be where actually to start. For a group, I don't know how as a group we'd handle pp. 1-25 (or so) which are mainly very short phrases. Once you hit the longer passages somewhere around p. 28-30 or so, it gets very engaging because you're playing connected, solo-like lines.

I'm not against processing pp. 1-30 as a group, but I think it could get tedious, and tedium is the death of a study group in many cases.

We could actually just start p. 30 playing the extended exercises, or even start with p. 34.

User Info Menu

Hmmm. 30 or 34? Just to align, page 30 in my JPGS book says "Chordal Thinking" and page 35 says "Blues", does yours?

User Info Menu

30 is chordal thinking. 32 is improvising. 35 is blues for me.

I think I can handle working on anything after 30 including 30. So I'm ok with whatever you guys want to do. If nothing else I'll get better at reading.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzstdnt
    Well there's two. Can we get three more brave souls?
    Ya 5 is good to get the party started!

User Info Menu

I'm still interested, too.

I've already done the first blues through the cycle.

User Info Menu

I've been working on the "Blues Intro" from the "On Guitar" book and have four chorus down. Roughly. Very roughly.

But the reading aspect of "Guitar Style" appeals to me. (If tab is on the page, it's hard for me to keep from focusing on it.)

User Info Menu

I'm tempted by this - got both books & I might even have the audio for both as well...

However, this happens if you go three weeks without checking in with Frank Vignola...
    Attached Images Attached Images Joe Pass - On Guitar (book/CD) - OR - Guitar Style --45-notifications-png 

User Info Menu

So, Joe Pass Guitar Style starting on which topic or study? I have an old copy from 1974 and the one Alfred republished that I picked up about 10 years ago, and the pages don't match (newer one has smaller print). The old one has 76 pages, the newer one 58. I'll do it with you guys - it'll be fun to revisit!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbuddy
    So, Joe Pass Guitar Style starting on which topic or study? I have an old copy from 1974 and the one Alfred republished that I picked up about 10 years ago, and the pages don't match (newer one has smaller print). The old one has 76 pages, the newer one 58. I'll do it with you guys - it'll be fun to revisit!
    I would be into a group like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

OK. Well I propose we start with Blues (page 35). If you guys agree then....

1. First lay down a rhythm track, then the solo in two chorus'. (only difference is the last two bars).

2. Upload as much or as little as you care to, according to whatever schedule is comfortable. (e.g. The whole thing, just the rhythm guitar, one line of the solo at a time, 1 chorus at a time ... etc. Whatever you are comfortable with).

User Info Menu

I'm also interested.

User Info Menu

I propose that we do the blues at BPM = 100 to 132.

User Info Menu

Another vote for Joe Pass 'On Guitar." It should arrive in my maibox by this coming Saturday. Who's interested in a study group for this book/ CD? Separate thread, perhaps?

User Info Menu

We could always do a little of both. What would you like to focus on in that book?

User Info Menu

I think separate thread sounds good. We do the blues as discussed above. Or start with page 30 improvisations. If anybody has experience with study groups like these, would you mind starting a new thread with the plan? Or I'll just start one this weekend but I have never done this before.

User Info Menu

Started working on the Blues Intro from JP on Guit this morning.

A real challenge to make it sound bluesy and not like a wandering arpeggio etude.

User Info Menu

Sorry to be so late to the thread, but I love Joe's playing and would love to be in on this. Was a book actually decided? I would actually prefer the one with tab because my reading is garbage but I could try

User Info Menu

Hey Jim,

Welcome to the garbage reading club! Let's struggle through it together

We are planning to do Joe Pass Guitar Style Book.

https://www.amazon.com/Joe-Pass-Guit...15297616&psc=1

User Info Menu

Ordered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by akamat
    Hey Jim,

Welcome to the garbage reading club! Let's struggle through it together

We are planning to do Joe Pass Guitar Style Book.

Joe Pass Guitar Style: Learn the Sound of Modern Harmony & Melody: Joe Pass, Bill Thrasher: 0884118623029: Amazon.com: Books
    OK, so the designated thread for the Joe Pass Guitar Style study group will be ?I propose a separate "Joe Pass Guitar Style" study group. All are welcome. I'm electing myself as the one to push the envelope since I came up with the idea and Lawson cast his vote. Come on over and we'll talk specifics.