The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Any of You guys know some deep, efficient resource about that? I just heard some guys who only do that, and I am impressed. They can play sensational lines with this kind of thinking.

thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you mean using upper structure triads and building lines from them you may like Garrison Fewell's book:

improvising with triads-515zv5wc0nl-_sy344_bo1-204-203-200_-jpg

User Info Menu

I occasionally play diatonic triads each way and each order as exercise. Even as an exercise its hard as hell. Hard as not like blasting through walls but blasting through a long wall sideways.

User Info Menu

It's good for your technique and ears start practice playing your scales in triads. Get those sounds in your ears. Now do the same but add approach notes, really good technique builder and you should start hearing some familiar sounds. Now practice major and minor triads in inversion going up and back down the neck should recognized some more sounds. Now add approach notes. Now take one of your transcriptions and start looking for triads. Are you using approach notes or surrounds? Are they using diatonic triads or they implying colors or chord sub with a triad.

Meal time fun....

Take a chord say a C7 now grab some paper and writing out the notes of all the triads from C chromatically to B. Now write what chord tones those are as related to the C7. Circle the triads that look interest, there's your next woodshed experiments to try. I love doing this type stuff at restaurants they see all this gibberish on paper and start wondering if you're some mad scientist or something.

By time you're done with all . this you can write your own book and sell it or $8.95.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrblues
    Any of You guys know some deep, efficient resource about that? I just heard some guys who only do that, and I am impressed. They can play sensational lines with this kind of thinking.

thanks
    check the Ted Greene site...there are several hundred triad based exercises and melodic patterns to keep you busy for several years..

User Info Menu

This is how I have (and continue to) learn it: The essential--simple thing is: do you know how to play your triads in all inversions including spread triads (OPEN, i.e, 153, 315, 531)?

Good. Now move the individual, constituent voices around, one-at-a-time. Play a triad and move ONE of the voice around (stepwise, chromatically, your choice). Go back to the same triad. Move another voice around (stepwise, chromatically). Go back to the same triad again. Move the third voice around (stepwise, chromatically). For example Move the 5th stepwise or chromatically to the m7. Can you find your 5th instantly without thinking? It's in a different location, of course, depending on the inversion.

The important thing to me is not to learn grips, but to understand VOICES from building simple but malleable and moveable chords (the triad is the simplest chord, right?) and intrinsically generate LINES that flow naturally from the these voices. This is what a piano player does, right?

User Info Menu

You mean triads as real triads (more or less in a classical sence - that is 3 notes having major or minor 3rd between each other - or respective invesions)?

Or just a triad as a set of any 3 notes?

IMHO those are to absolutely different approaches... though partly they can overlap of course...

The first is more about tertial chords structure split into a few triads and so common relations based on tertial harmony can be apllied here to a part of a chord structure to achieve new sound development movement etc.

The second is more about organization... you take any 3 notes and relate them mentally to any harmonic enviroment you are in... this is to me a bit more advanced thing, requires good hearing and orientation.. but in a way it is really open in any direction if you can establish this direction

User Info Menu

thanks
    Yep. I basically just use triads to improvise. Well, I also steal from the melody of whatever I'm playing over (which I analyze and organize using triads also... so still...)

And there are others out there as well. Tis true.

So many possibilities. But you have to start with the fundamentals and grow from there. Which is why I personally think it's the best approach and follow it myself. You can't fake it or skip over the basics. The basics are everything. Growing as a musician then isn't about learning to copy advanced ideas... it becomes about knowing the fundamentals so well that you can use them in playful ways that create the illusion of sounding tricky and advanced.
    Last edited by jordanklemons; 07-03-2017 at 11:43 AM.

User Info Menu

thanks
    Sounds like a neat quick fix, right? Only little three note chords and be a master solo -er!

Kid thyself not, mr blues, nor any who sail in her

User Info Menu

Combining two non-overlapping triads (thus a "hexatonic" (hex=6) ) is a common strategy for utilizing triads. For example, D triad + C triad, or F# triad + C triad.

Jerry Bergonzi has a great book on this. "Hexatonics" is in the title. Lots of great examples and exercises.

User Info Menu

In my opinion garrison fewell have the sames contents that how to improvise by hall crook

Perhaps I am wrong but today I prefer courses for study

A great course for study with triads

For this reason I left to study with books,and I continue study of course when I can,but I never buy another book in my life xD

User Info Menu

It's called playing from shapes, isn't it?

(You've got be careful not to mix harmonic harmony with melodic over minor shapes. For example if you're in C and playing over a Dm at the 5/7th fret it's OK to play the natural B and E. But if you slide up to the Em you probably don't want the C# and F#. In other words, the same fingering doesn't work. Over the Fm, one fret up, you're fine)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stangetz
    In my opinion garrison fewell have the sames contents that how to improvise by hall crook

Perhaps I am wrong but today I prefer courses for study

A great course for study with triads

For this reason I left to study with books,and I continue study of course when I can,but I never buy another book in my life xD
    I have seen that same material presented by several teachers, but Yakoff does one of the best jobs I've seen to make it seem logical and musical.

Too bad his course is almost $200. That's a hefty price tag for a video course in today's market. By comparison I get unlimited access to the entire Truefire catalog for a year for less than that (much less if I wait for a sale).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Ok my friend

I,ve got a lot of mateiral of trufire free.I,m sorry.

A lot of books of gypsy jazz and very bored

Yakoov works very well

If you are more happy with trufire ok

I have a lot of material of trufire by utorrent,i,m sorry but there is a lot of things that I have no the same opinion

In my opinion this course of triads is very very very good

200 dollars

Ok,I spent a lot of money in books,teachers and nothing of music

With the course of yakoov my guitar start to sound,and in my opinion I saw all as yaakov,in triads.there is aproachs,enclosures,doble aproachs,etc etc

I love this course

Sorry for my english

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stangetz
    Ok my friend

I,ve got a lot of mateiral of trufire free.I,m sorry.

A lot of books of gypsy jazz and very bored

Yakoov works very well

If you are more happy with trufire ok

I have a lot of material of trufire by utorrent,i,m sorry but there is a lot of things that I have no the same opinion

In my opinion this course of triads is very very very good

200 dollars

Ok,I spent a lot of money in books,teachers and nothing of music

With the course of yakoov my guitar start to sound,and in my opinion I saw all as yaakov,in triads.there is aproachs,enclosures,doble aproachs,etc etc

I love this course

Sorry for my english
    That's an odd post. Not sure what you are trying to say. You steal from Truefire, so you have extra to spend on this course? You steal from Truefire and are dissatisfied with what you got?

In any case, I'm not sure I understand why you care. Yes, seems like a good course. Glad you like it and feel it was worth the cost.

Seems too expensive to me. Lots and lots of great online courses. Most cost quite a bit less. Maybe this is the one course that would unlock my playing forever. Oh well, at $200 we will never know.

Yakoov is lucky to have such an impassioned promoter as you. Perhaps other people who have taken his course will likewise spread the good word. In the mean time my advice to you, err I mean him, is that he break up this course into more affordable chunks. That will make it easier for people to take a risk on an otherwise unknown course in a crowded field of courses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I do not understand you, friend, I'm sorry.

I have truefire grang vignola dvds and start talking about improvising with scales without any context

To me what I like about yakoov's courses is that he teaches you with repertoire and make your own solos and arrangements, although I'm not an expert.

In true fire I see many courses like 50 licks that you should know, I find these courses absurd and a waste of time and energy.

This is already in the books, I am not amused.

Garrison Fewell's book I had and explains things well, but it's the same as he said hal crook 20 years ago, or very similar in concepts, but without any repertoire.

Explain to me where in trufire because I am enrolled learns based on repertoire

Not all courses of yakoov I like, but especially 4, and complete concepts a lot.

I recently talked to a teacher from Holland and he told me that already learning a scale of music has no sense at all and I see a lot in the pentatonic blues books here, pentatonic over there.

I have books from the roots of the blues that are played on the guitar you play a repertoire where there is no scale.

I even read a book that said that musical scales do not exist and a teacher, very good, I explained to me, why, and that the triads are the base touches the style you touch.

Maybe I'm wrong, trufire is full of courses, tell me where there is complete repertoire on which to work the concepts that explain and not play licks or scales,

I do not criticize trufire negatively and I apologize.

Register on yakoov's page and you will see everything with better clarity.

I do not all like it, like its blues course, but if others, how to clasicall games, the king of melody, the king of ballads and I hope to be able to do with all of them, except the blues and others, but its great majority.

It looks better the content from the page than youtube of what you are going to learn.

I recently asked for bossa nova and here if I see to have to subscribe because I did not find a course that guarantees me what I am looking for

In gypsyjazz I found many things to have fun playing, which is what I want and not boring licks, or to play scales without any music, I do not know how to explain it better

User Info Menu

Say a course of trufire who explain triads with repertorie complety.

Yakovv explain songs about the triads,and said in you tube that you never will be lost in more avanced concepts.

Nothing more.

I saw the bossa nova course of trufire and in my opinion is very basic,youl never learn to play bossa nova with this courses.

I say too that I don,t like books,I have all jerry bergonzi and many others books and know people who study with him but not with his books,

Also I study with people who only play by ear,but this is no true.I prefer don,t say the name for respect to this teacher,he like blues,but I like more the roots of blues and not electric guitar blues,yakoov teachs very well but for me,for you and many other people perphaps not.

I,m happy with his courses and their contents,and have fun.

I never fun studying with a book for example and all teachers I have always with books.I had more than 1300 books and a good friend and teacher,say me,don,t buy more books,and I found in yakoov a teacher who is fun study with his courses,nothing more.

I have a lot of study in my life of course,but for the first time in my life I am happy when I play guitar

Cheers

User Info Menu

I have a new private teacher, and I must tell that I found the right teacher for me! He is teaching the improvisation with the triads, and a very interesting conception; hearing and touching the strings.

If we look on the triads, 1-3-5, all the altered notes are standing by these notes. b9 is up to 1, #9 is down to 3, b5 is down to 5, #5 is up to 5. So if I know all the inversions through the neck, and know this, I can give a new insight of playing under the dominant chors.