The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 155

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Well played Lawson. I like both tones but was drawn to the second one (at least today!). I like your work with the double stops.
    It's a little too gauzy to me, so I'm looking for the point in rolling off the tone where the transition from "less highs" to "muffled" happens. Just north of that might be the sweet spot.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here is my take on Autumn Leaves bars 1-16. The first take is at 104 bpm and the second is at 120. Still struggling to play the double stops smoothly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Autumn Leaves Improvisation
    Bars 1-16 Second Attempt

I thought I would give this one another shot. My first attempt didn't feel right. I recorded this one directly from my webcam.

Mike
    Mike, you have inspired me to do my next post with a
    Tele.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Here's my clip for mm. 1-16. I did two takes, the second has the tone knob rolled off a bit. I think this guitar actually sounds better as in the first take, tone pretty much on 10. I still like experimenting with that more "gauzy" sound with the tone rolled off.

Played around with the double-stops, but I don't know if I really improved on anything!

I like the second one as well.

User Info Menu

Here is my take on Autumn Leaves bars 1-16. The first take is at 104 bpm and the second is at 120. Still struggling to play the double stops smoothly.

Love it !! I like the tone you getting out of this guitar. You have the tone control set perfectly

User Info Menu

Here are bars 1 - 16

Autumn Leaves Bars 1 - 16

User Info Menu

Thinking next week could be crazy (finals week for me!) I'm posting mm. 1-24 today for your delectation and critique.

For fun, the guitar is going into my Polytone BabyBrute, but then I'm using the direct pre-amp line out, not mic'ing the cabinet. I actually like how this sounds and might make this my default recording setup.

I'll be interested in your reactions to the sound as well as the playing.

User Info Menu

Thinking next week could be crazy (finals week for me!) I'm posting mm. 1-24 today for your delectation and critique.

For fun, the guitar is going into my Polytone BabyBrute, but then I'm using the direct pre-amp line out, not mic'ing the cabinet. I actually like how this sounds and might make this my default recording setup.

I like this sound much better than the Fender pre amp sound.

Your playing was great too !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I like this sound much better than the Fender pre amp sound.

Your playing was great too !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks! People often say the unique tone of the Polytone amp is all in the pre-amp, so I guess that made a difference.

User Info Menu

Lawson, both playing and sound are great, perhaps a little hesitant here and there, but very nice overall.

User Info Menu

Hi Lawson -- I enjoyed both the tone and the playing! Good luck with finals.

User Info Menu

Bars 1-24

I had a little problem with the audio on this one. Here goes!

Mike

User Info Menu

Bars 1-24

Mike
    Well done Mike! I'm always impressed how you can pull off the solos without the use of a pick.

User Info Menu

Bars 1-24

Mike
    Good heavens I just noticed you're doing this finger style, which is really impressive!

User Info Menu

Well done Mike! I'm always impressed how you can pull off the solos without the use of a pick.
    Thanks! I originally played it with a pick, but it sounded too thin and tinny so I re-recorded it. I've got ten's on the Telecaster. I'm sure this contributes to it.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeS; 05-13-2017 at 04:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Good heavens I just noticed you're doing this finger style, which is really impressive!

Thanks! As I mentioned above, playing with a pick sounded too thin. I hope the next one sounds better with my Conti guitar.

Mike

User Info Menu

Here's my post for bars 1-24.

User Info Menu

I really like your tone. What is your secret?

User Info Menu

I really like your tone. What is your secret?
    Thanks Mike. My chain is Guitar (Gibson L5) ==> Amp (Brunetti Singleman 16, Low input) ==> Yeti Blue Microphone ==> Windows Movie Maker (deprecated software) running on a Windows PC. As basic as can be. I'm not sure what happens to the tone when the video gets uploaded to YouTube.

The amp only has Bass, Middle, Treble and Reverb. I tweak these along with the volume and tone knobs on the guitar.

The 6th (low E) string sounds muddy to me. I'm using Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing .013-.053. If I find a couple of $$, I might swap out the .053 for a .050. Hope this helps.

I still have some work to do before I'm ready to post the full solo.

User Info Menu

Bars 1-24

Mike
    Sounds great !!

User Info Menu

I love the tone you are achieving. Is that an Ibanez ? What type of amp are you using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    I love the tone you are achieving. Is that an Ibanez ? What type of amp are you using.

I just read your other post. A Gibson L5 ? I apologize for calling it an Ibanez. I stand humbly corrected.

User Info Menu

Thanks Mike. My chain is Guitar (Gibson L5) ==> Amp (Brunetti Singleman 16, Low input) ==> Yeti Blue Microphone ==> Windows Movie Maker (deprecated software) running on a Windows PC. As basic as can be. I'm not sure what happens to the tone when the video gets uploaded to YouTube.

The amp only has Bass, Middle, Treble and Reverb. I tweak these along with the volume and tone knobs on the guitar.

The 6th (low E) string sounds muddy to me. I'm using Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing .013-.053. If I find a couple of $$, I might swap out the .053 for a .050. Hope this helps.

I still have some work to do before I'm ready to post the full solo.
    For what you call basic, it sure produces a nice tone. It looks like I've got to save up some money. Thanks!

Mike

User Info Menu

Andy,

I liked it! I have to work on my tone.

Mike
    Thanks Mike, I have set things up on my tele (American special) pretty much as Tim Lerch explains, the strings are TI bebop 12/50 rounds. I did not change the saddles though.
    The American Special comes with the greasbucket tone circuit, "Greasebucket™ tone circuit (rolls off highs without adding bass)" I roll it off nearly all the way. And then I turn the bass and treble down, and the mid up on the amp (Cornell Romany 12).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    1-24, sorry bit wonky at the end.
    Sounds great Andy! Your playing is smooth and fluid. Very musical. Cheers.