The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 155

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by andyb
    After all that I used the Conti backing in the end.

Bars 1-8 autumn leaves
    Good job on this one. I used the Conti backing track too, but I noticed yours has a piano rhythm background and my track has an organ rhythm background. Must be something that happened during my conversion process.

Mike

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Am I the only person doing this who is having trouble avoiding a corny, "bouncy" style on these first 8 measures? When Conti plays it, the feeling is hip and bop-ish, but I'm having trouble with it just sounding bouncy and not really swinging. "DOO-pa-DOO-pa..."

Here's a clip where I try to contrast the two approaches, though it's a little exaggerated.
    I was having the same problem. It just seems to fit even though it is kind of corny. It must be just me.

Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS
    Good job on this one. I used the Conti backing track too, but I noticed yours has a piano rhythm background and my track has an organ rhythm background. Must be something that happened during my conversion process.

Mike
    Hi Mike, I put the track in to Garage band and changed the organ to piano thats all.

User Info Menu

Am I the only person doing this who is having trouble avoiding a corny, "bouncy" style on these first 8 measures? When Conti plays it, the feeling is hip and bop-ish, but I'm having trouble with it just sounding bouncy and not really swinging. "DOO-pa-DOO-pa..."

Here's a clip where I try to contrast the two approaches, though it's a little exaggerated.

I see what your getting at, the second time sounded hipper.

My answer to this is to listen to as much Wes as possible, I am driving quite a lot with work and most of the time I have Wes playing, he was the man. I am hearing quite a few of his licks in these pieces.

User Info Menu

Here's my take on bars 1-8. The first pass is at 104 bpm and the second at 119. I strayed slightly from Conti's fingering protocol on bars 3-4.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by losaltosjoe
    Here's my take on bars 1-8. The first pass is at 104 bpm and the second at 119. I strayed slightly from Conti's fingering protocol on bars 3-4.
    I liked both versions. To me the one at 119 BPM sounded more hipper. I have some catching up to do.

Mike

User Info Menu

Lawson, I think that these first few solos definitely have corny passages but luckily they are mixed in with hipper passages that can be utilized elsewhere. I try to dig out those gems and pass on the corn.

User Info Menu

I like the 119 version. Way to Go !!

I am also toying with alternate fingerings for bars 3 and 4.

User Info Menu

So far 4 folks have posted their clip for "Autumn Leaves" measures 1-8. We all posted early, but I just wanted to post an encouragement to anyone working on this project to post! Even if it's just a bit of phone video, it doesn't have to be a work of cinematic art! Your playing will redeem any limitations on the quality of the recording.

That said, I find my iPhone using the built-in mic does quite surprisingly well for these clips. I generally try to do something more elaborate, but in a pinch, the phone leaning against a book will do the trick.

Be bold!

User Info Menu

Here are bars 1-8.

I will save my analysis for the end of the 32 bars.

Autumn Leaves Bars 1-8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doublea A
    Here are bars 1-8.

I will save my analysis for the end of the 32 bars.

Autumn Leaves Bars 1-8
    Nailed it!

User Info Menu

Looking ahead... when you get to measures 19-20... I think that is a very "Charlie Christian" sounding lick. I'll be interested in how everyone else hears it. Even the way it seems a little off-beat (though it's not, it's an illusion!) feel kind of CC-ish.

User Info Menu

The figure Conti uses in mm. 9-10 is one that has become familiar to me now. It's in the "Satin Doll" bridge at measure 19-20. At the moment these are the only two places I can find this, but it "feels" now very familiar. Maybe it appears elsewhere and I just can't put my finger on it. Relative to the major chord, it's an interesting line starting on the 3rd and ending on the 5th with a chromatic movement.

I like things like this. I am enjoying the way he's working a handful of basic devices in a lot of different contexts.

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken, everybody who said they were doing Autumn Leaves has posted mm. 1-8. Are we missing anyone?

If anyone wants to post a "better" clip, maybe you feel more confident, have the tempo up a bit more, like your phrasing better, that's all for the good, I think.

Otherwise, we forge on to mm. 9-16!

User Info Menu

If I'm not mistaken, everybody who said they were doing Autumn Leaves has posted mm. 1-8. Are we missing anyone?

If anyone wants to post a "better" clip, maybe you feel more confident, have the tempo up a bit more, like your phrasing better, that's all for the good, I think.

Otherwise, we forge on to mm. 9-16!
    Looking forward to the weekend when I can spend more time with this solo including the analysis from various threads. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Autumn Leaves Improvisation
    Bars 1-16

Mike

User Info Menu

Bars 1-16

Mike
    Great! We're all forging ahead!

User Info Menu

Looking forward to the weekend when I can spend more time with this solo including the analysis from various threads. Cheers!
    Ah I missed that we hadn't heard from you. Sorry for my oversight! I always look forward to your clip.

I just finished cracking my knuckles on a section of the Jimmy Raney solo we're working on over in that group. After a lot of long, fast 8th note lines, he drops into a kind of funny "spacing" of notes that about derailed me. I get so used to pushing for the fast lines, when the periodic quarter rest shows up, it's like hitting a rock while biking down a fast mountain road...

Can't wait to see your clip!

User Info Menu

Ah I missed that we hadn't heard from you. Sorry for my oversight! I always look forward to your clip.

I just finished cracking my knuckles on a section of the Jimmy Raney solo we're working on over in that group. After a lot of long, fast 8th note lines, he drops into a kind of funny "spacing" of notes that about derailed me. I get so used to pushing for the fast lines, when the periodic quarter rest shows up, it's like hitting a rock while biking down a fast mountain road...

Can't wait to see your clip!
    Hi Lawson,

My previous note was ambiguous. I have already posted bars 1-8 but will be working on 1-16 this weekend. Cheers, Joe

User Info Menu

Bars 1-16 Second Attempt

I thought I would give this one another shot. My first attempt didn't feel right. I recorded this one directly from my webcam.

Mike

User Info Menu

Bars 1-16 Second Attempt

I thought I would give this one another shot. My first attempt didn't feel right. I recorded this one directly from my webcam.

Mike
    That sync'd the picture and sound better for sure.

It seems like you might be delaying past the 1 quarter rest at the end of m.8 and then rushing a little on mm. 9-12? the double-stop phrases in 11-12 each end with a full beat quarter rest. But you do compensate in mm. 13-14 are back in the groove by m. 15-16, so it's a very limited portion where the time might not be in the pocket exactly.

I'm nobody to give advice since I struggle with this stuff, but working on 9-12, watching those rests and on the double-stops, really listening for the chord changes, and I think it will really snap into place.

User Info Menu

Here's my clip for mm. 1-16. I did two takes, the second has the tone knob rolled off a bit. I think this guitar actually sounds better as in the first take, tone pretty much on 10. I still like experimenting with that more "gauzy" sound with the tone rolled off.

Played around with the double-stops, but I don't know if I really improved on anything!

User Info Menu

That sync'd the picture and sound better for sure.

It seems like you might be delaying past the 1 quarter rest at the end of m.8 and then rushing a little on mm. 9-12? the double-stop phrases in 11-12 each end with a full beat quarter rest. But you do compensate in mm. 13-14 are back in the groove by m. 15-16, so it's a very limited portion where the time might not be in the pocket exactly.

I'm nobody to give advice since I struggle with this stuff, but working on 9-12, watching those rests and on the double-stops, really listening for the chord changes, and I think it will really snap into place.
    Lawson,

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I will work on those quarter beat rests. Thanks again.

Mike

User Info Menu

Lawson,

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated. I will work on those quarter beat rests. Thanks again.

Mike
    Over on the Jimmy Raney group, the solo we're doing now is driving me crazy with the spacing of the notes. Quarter notes, but played on the up-beat... this stuff doesn't come naturally to me so I'm having to really sweat the time and tempo.

As Churchill said, "Never, ever give up!"

User Info Menu

Here's my clip for mm. 1-16. I did two takes, the second has the tone knob rolled off a bit. I think this guitar actually sounds better as in the first take, tone pretty much on 10. I still like experimenting with that more "gauzy" sound with the tone rolled off.

Played around with the double-stops, but I don't know if I really improved on anything!
    Well played Lawson. I like both tones but was drawn to the second one (at least today!). I like your work with the double stops.