The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 402

User Info Menu

Ok but, as I noted, the Gypsy guys do fly at very fast tempi using their downstrokes. I just don't get it. I guess I'll have to just try it and see for myself...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, to be fair, when those gypsy guys are burning, it's not all downstrokes, not even close.

They will however, stick pretty close to always using a downstroke when changing strings, those that "gypsy pick."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Ok but, as I noted, the Gypsy guys do fly at very fast tempi using their downstrokes. I just don't get it. I guess I'll have to just try it and see for myself...
    Frank is not primarily a Gypsy jazz player. (And neither is Tommy Emmanuel, with whom Frank has often performed.) And he isn't using all downstrokes for what he calls "flourishes". Tremolo picking is a specific skill. That's alternate picking, fast alternate picking, and one can develop that. Eddie Van Halen---not a jazz or gypsy jazz player---is great at that.

User Info Menu

Here's Basics 4:

@Mark: thanks for pointing out Aimee Nolte in another thread. Spent some time this morning with her Rhythm Changes tutorials on youtube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    @Mark: thanks for pointing out Aimee Nolte in another thread. Spent some time this morning with her Rhythm Changes tutorials on youtube.
    You're welcome. She's new to me but several people here knew about her. I'll check out her rhythm changes video later. Right now, I'm working to find the best key to sing certain songs in. (My goal is to have 6-8 tunes I love that I can sing passably well. Maybe finally get a few more songs of my own into keys that I can sing okay in. As a kid, I wrote around the guitar riffs that I came up with and it never occurred to to me that if I put the riff in another key I might could sing the song better... Doh!)

User Info Menu

Catchin' up. Basics 5:

User Info Menu

Here is Etude #2. It introduces a good amount of bebop vocabulary...

User Info Menu

Here is today's take of the first etude. (I recorded another version last week but didn't post it.)
    This time I plugged the guitar in and found a better angle (I think) for the camera. Used Frank's CD to play along with.

Question: how does one add titles / captions to videos? (For all you Mac users, I mean on a Windows PC.) I'd like to do that.

User Info Menu

Here is Etude #2. It introduces a good amount of bebop vocabulary...
    Nice work! This etude is growing on me. Wasn't wild about it at first. (Frankly, I skipped it when I got the book. The only reason I gave it a chance was this study group and I'm glad I did---some good stuff in there!)

User Info Menu

I import the raw video file into MS Movie Maker and can add the titles in that program.

User Info Menu

I import the raw video file into MS Movie Maker and can add the titles in that program.
    Thanks, Jim. I'll check that out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Nice work!
    +1! I like the way you're playing around with the time a bit, Jim! Can't wait to hear the steel version!

Mark: I don't know if you edit your clips or just upload them to youtube the way they are being recorded.
    "Windows Movie Maker" lets you add captions, introductions and the like but it doesn't accept all file types so you may need some software to convert to a file type that works.

eta: just noticed that there was a reply already....
    Last edited by TOMMO; 02-13-2017 at 10:54 AM.

User Info Menu

In #1 - has anybody noticed that in measure 14 there are two f notes in the staff and tab (beats 2 and 2-and) and Frank plays a low c for the second f? Sounds better to me... just sayin'....

User Info Menu

+1! I like the way you're playing around with the time a bit, Jim! Can't wait to hear the steel version!
    Thanks, Tommo! I'm working on the steel version now. Got the first A section together, about ready to tackle the bridge...

User Info Menu

Mark: I don't know if you edit your clips or just upload them to youtube the way they are being recorded.
    "Windows Movie Maker" lets you add captions, introductions and the like but it doesn't accept all file types so you may need some software to convert to a file type that works.
    I don't edit them. I saw Jim's recommendation for Windows Movie Maker but for whatever reason, that doesn't come with Windows 10 (which I'm running) and isn't supported by it.

User Info Menu

In #1 - has anybody noticed that in measure 14 there are two f notes in the staff and tab (beats 2 and 2-and) and Frank plays a low c for the second f? Sounds better to me... just sayin'....
    Hadn't noticed before but I like the low C better too.

User Info Menu

Yes! But I played two F notes there (because I was looking at the chart) when I recorded it. F isn't a bad note there but I agree with you that C sounds better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Yes! But I played two F notes there (because I was looking at the chart) when I recorded it. F isn't a bad note there but I agree with you that C sounds better.
    I only noticed it when I read the chart while listening to the CD.....

User Info Menu

I only noticed it when I read the chart while listening to the CD.....
    Same here. But when I did the video I played it the way it was written because I get nervous when recording and took the easy way out. ;o)

User Info Menu

ok, basics 5 done,

now onto the meat of the book

User Info Menu

Rahsaan, that was super-clean and right in the pocket. Well done!

User Info Menu

I'm working on the steel version now. Got the first A section together, about ready to tackle the bridge...
    OK, got it all worked out now, just spending a few days smoothing it out and getting it up to tempo. Will probably post it this weekend...

User Info Menu

That's a real tough one for me. Lots of stretches across four frets with the pinky and in the first couple of frets to boot.
    I'm working on some alternate fingerings here (with quite a few open strings involved) which doesn't mean I'll not be practicing those stretches any further.
    Is this probably what Frank wants to tell us? I mean this is quite a tough one anyway for a second etude. Some of the etudes in Vol 3 are easier to finger....

Opinions?

User Info Menu

I think I might have done temporary shifts rather than stretches. You can check my video.

User Info Menu

I think I might have done temporary shifts rather than stretches. You can check my video.
    Will watch again - thanks. I'm more comfortable with position shifts than with extreme stretches, especially when there's several in a row...