The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 23 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Posts 551 to 575 of 1604

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by M2AX
    both please

-Max
    Ok, but i suppose you know that the maj6-dim and min6-dim is for harmonizing, not single line improvising?

No rule that you can’t use it for improvising, but that is not how BH teaches it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Everyone says the m6dim from the 5th of dominant, but what about the Dom7dim itself? I.e a dominant chord with a diminished running alongside it from the second? I think it's in the Kingstone book, I'll have to go look for it again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JustMac
    Everyone says the m6dim from the 5th of dominant, but what about the Dom7dim itself? I.e a dominant chord with a diminished running alongside it from the second? I think it's in the Kingstone book, I'll have to go look for it again.
    Yes that is in the book. There is also a Dom7b5 / dim.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Yes that is in the book. There is also a Dom7b5 / dim.
    Yes, as also the diminished chord itself (with or without borrowed notes), but the m6 on the fifth and the tritone's minor (m6 a half step above the root of the dominant) are the ones Barry and Howard Rees stress in their teaching.

For soloing, on the other hand, the stress is on extra note rules and on the family of dominants, building on the usual 7-note "mixolydian" scale (called the dominant scale, modal names are not popular in this company!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JustMac
    I don’t think anyone seems crazy about that scale

Barry likes 7b5-dim a lot

User Info Menu

of course

-Max

User Info Menu

Does Barry show scales over All The Things You Are?

does he have another set after 5432 phrases?

User Info Menu

I worked out some scales on ATTYA the other day. It’s not that hard, just follow the examples given by Chris in his ‘things i’ve learned from Barry harris’ YouTube channel. He gives examples from several standards, from these you can deduce the scale ‘rules’ quite easily for most tunes.

If you’re talking about Barry’s sixth/dim chord/harmonic approach, also check out Chris’s channel as one of his videos looks at that in terms of ATTYA.

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I don’t think anyone seems crazy about that scale

Barry likes 7b5-dim a lot
    i like it the more each time i practice it. where ot starts sounding really cool is when you play the related dom dim scales

User Info Menu

ATTYA... think Bb7 scale for Bdim, really? I think Bb7 b9 scale is more it for B dim (Bb half whole dim scale)
    and for the C7alt coming out of the bridge think Eb7 scale? I would think C#-maj7
    Last edited by rintincop; 10-19-2018 at 01:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Do we really like a Gb note in our scale for the Dbma7 IV chord in ATTYA bar 5? I like the G natural (#4) instead.

User Info Menu

Here, curtesy of Christian, taken from older page of this Barry Harris thread:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamirgal
    Here, curtesy of Christian, taken from older page of this Barry Harris thread:
    Not sure why I can’t post the link above. Hope this will go ok:

User Info Menu

I could be wrong but given that Barry makes a point of distinguishing the 3 types of minor 7ths (II, III and VI),
    I assume he would do the same between the 2 types of major 7th chords (I and IV).

User Info Menu

I tend to agree. G natural would fit better on that Dbmaj

User Info Menu

I notice his C7 b9 scale is also the equivalent of a F Harmonic Minor Scale. It's easier for me to think C#minor major scale over C7b9 or to play the half-whole symmetrical dim type scale

User Info Menu

On the the C7, you should read it as Eb7 down to the 3rd of C7.
    You don’t want to change it, that’s a fundamental Part of Barry’s teaching

User Info Menu

I understand the connection of Eb7 scale over C7b9 .But why that approach? I would guess because it ties it back to his scale association for G-7b5 to C7b9. I think I answered my question.

User Info Menu

Yes he does - Check this out, he specifically talks about the ending Cm7 (III in Abmaj) in AtTyA....well, actually he goes off on quite a tangent!

Admittedly I think this is far more difficult to grasp than the typical guitar-centric way of learning different types of chords...modes, right? I'm not a modal player at all but for some reason they really stuck with me as a reference point... eg here knowing that because I'm on the III/phrygian that Db/flat second is there, not D natural/second.

Do piano players learn just major/minor and not the harmonised scale? I mean, I'm guessing these people are competent players because they're even at a BH class, but I honestly don't get how the players there are confused as to why the Cm7 has a Db there. Not saying that from place of arrogance, I'm genuinely curious!

User Info Menu

My sheet isn't what Barry did in the workshop, so don't take it too seriously. I did it a while back before I got the opportunity to study the tune in class.

IIRC he ran the scales from the roots of the chord, and specified to use an G in the Db scale (don't call it Lydian lol.)
    Last edited by christianm77; 10-20-2018 at 06:27 PM.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I spy more great material coming soon from Roni Ben-Hur and My Music Masterclass:

Official Barry Harris Thread-screenshot-2018-10-22-12-33-51-png

User Info Menu

I am enjoying the Harris V7b9 scale (it also has a #9 and a b13)
    It gives me 8 tones, a balanced "bebop" type scale (since it's balanced it aligns the chord tones on beats)

1 b9 #9 3 4 5 b13 b7

Practice descending from b9
    then from 3rd
    then from 5th
    then from 7th
    (these chord tones also spell a diminished 7th chord)

Tip: Looking at this scale's shape on the piano, for C7b9 for example, we see the first four notes form the familiar diminished scale shape (half-whole-half). The top four notes of the scale happen to look like the F minor scale. Of course C7b9 is strongly associated with a F minor.

For decades I have been running diminished scales over V7b9 or alt scales. I am liking hows this Harris V7b9 lays, it's smoother and hand friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by rintincop
    I am enjoying the Harris V7b9 scale ...

... I am liking hows this Harris V7b9 lays, it's smoother and hand friendly.
    no need to rename it really, is there?

User Info Menu

It’s Reg minor. Look this was Discussed