The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

I'm interested in knowing more about early jazz guitar pedagogy - basically what books were available for people learning jazz guitar in the 50s/60s?

The one that comes to mind is Mickey Baker's book from 1959, but I'm curious if there are others. Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The George Barnes Electric Guitar method book came out in 1943.

There's a bit about it here:
    https://bucknerguitar.wordpress.com/...r-method-1943/

User Info Menu

Not much as I recall, but then there wasn't much of anything available. The closest record store was 100 miles away, and we got there maybe twice a year, at most. No bookstores at all, just the county and school libraries. We couldn't even get watchable TV because the stations were so far away. We learned from each other and the radio.

User Info Menu

Here's one someone gave me years ago - published 1952:

Earliest Jazz Guitar Method Books?-scan354-jpg

User Info Menu

And this one from 1946:

Earliest Jazz Guitar Method Books?-scan355-jpg

User Info Menu

This one from 1950 is interesting, it has a whole section on major and minor 6th chords using exactly the same chords as the Barry Harris method.

Earliest Jazz Guitar Method Books?-img_0001-jpg

Thanks for the replies everybody, very interesting. I forgot to mention George Van Eps' first method book, which is the other book m familiar with.

User Info Menu

A method book (maybe two) was published under the name of Eddie Lang in 1935. Back cover advertises a collection of guitar solos by Lang, Harry Volpe, Carl Kress.

User Info Menu

Don't forget the two Eddie Lang books (1935 & 1936). They're similar to the early Van Eps method book in that the main topic is voice-leading between basic major, minor and dominant chord forms.

Earliest Jazz Guitar Method Books?-modern-advanced-guitar-method-eddie-lang-jpgEarliest Jazz Guitar Method Books?-fingerboard-harmony-lang-jpg

User Info Menu

Pretty pricy for the mid '30s. $2 was more than a day's pay for many. If they could find a job at all, doing anything.

I'm investigating the Eddie Lang books (really interesting material in there) and see that they were published in 1935, two years after his death. I found a blog post that implied the books were not written by Eddie but rather with his "input" and the contents therein were based on his on style rather than being his own writing. Seems to make sense but does anyone know if this is true?

https://bucknerguitar.wordpress.com/...ethod-in-1935/

User Info Menu

When Monk discovers this thread, I'm sure he'll have things to add. He's a collector of early guitar method books.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EDS
    I'm investigating the Eddie Lang books (really interesting material in there) and see that they were published in 1935, two years after his death. I found a blog post that implied the books were not written by Eddie but rather with his "input" and the contents therein were based on his on style rather than being his own writing. Seems to make sense but does anyone know if this is true?

https://bucknerguitar.wordpress.com/...ethod-in-1935/
    Quite likely. They were put together by David Berend, a banjo/guitar player who worked in the studios and ran his own music school in NY.

User Info Menu

Here is a partial list of books and sheet music that were availble in the 1930s through 1960s. There were also books and sheet music by Roy Smeck, Nick Lucas, Ned Cosmo, Nick Manoloff, Mickey Baker, Harry Volpe and Al Valenti to name a few others.

George M. Smith Guitar Method
    George M. Smith Guitar Solos Vol. 1 & 2
    Guitar Patterns for Improvisation by William Fowler
    The Guitar Magic of Les Paul
    Oscar Moore Guitaristics
    George Van Eps Guitar Method
    George Van Eps Guitar Solos
    Johnny Smith Aids to Technique
    Johnny Smith Guitar Originals Vol 1 & 2
    George Barnes Electric Guitar Method
    George Barnes Guitar Solos
    Ten Duets for Two Guitars by George Barnes & Carl Kress
    Kenny Burrell Jazz Guitar Solos
    Charlie Christian The Art of Jazz Guitar by Dan Fox
    Harlem Uptown Jazz Guitar-Charlie Christian
    Herb Ellis Jazz Guitar Style
    Jazz Duets by Herb Ellis & Joe Pass
    Guitar Moods by Ike Isaacs
    Jazz Guitar School by Ike Isaacs
    Glenn Miller for Guitar by Ike Isaacs
    The Guitar by Barney Kessel
    Personal Manuscripts 1-6 by Barney Kessel
    Classical/Country by Jimmy Wyble
    Carl Kress Sheet Music
    Dick McDounough & Carl Kress Duets Sheet Muisc
    Eddie Lang Sheet Music
    Blues for Guitar by Nappy Lamare
    Eddie Lang Seven Compositions
    West Coast Guitar by Jack Marshall
    Bossa Nova Guitar by Jack Marshall
    20 Popular Introductions and Endings by Jack Marshall
    Allan Reuss Guitar Solos
    Carmen Mastren Twenty Choruses
    Magic of Django Vol 1 & 2
    U.S. School of Music-Home Study Course for Spanish Guitar-96 Lessons by Harry Volpe

User Info Menu

Without a copyright, some have scanned their copies and made them available:

Guitar eBooks - DjangoBooks.com

Vintage Music Folios and Out Of Print Methods in PDF Format

User Info Menu

I want Harlem Uptown Jazz Guitar, just for the name....

User Info Menu

The book by Johnny Rector (was that his real name?) is excellent for chord work. Recommended.

Basically, anyone who used Brylcreem could play the guitar really well...

User Info Menu

Les Paul also had a few books.

Monk, that list is impressive!

User Info Menu

Typical page from the Johnny Rector book - try them:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I want Harlem Uptown Jazz Guitar, just for the name....
    That particular book was published by Charles Colin Publications and was a collection of CC's solos from the Minton's recordings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    The book by Johnny Rector (was that his real name?) is excellent for chord work. Recommended.

Basically, anyone who used Brylcreem could play the guitar really well...
    FACE PALM! How could I forget Johnny????? I have his books!

I met Johnny at one of the Chet Atkins Appreciation Society Conventions about 20 years ago. He lived in Chicago and was a nice guy. We became friends and had many great conversations about music and guitar. He really knew a boatload about chords from playing in orchestras and on the radio. He reminded me somewhat of Johnny Smith when he played.

User Info Menu

Typical page from the Johnny Rector book - try them:

That first grip, the Am7, is killing me. Are you supposed to do a mini barre with the ring finger or use the fingertip to play two strings at once? Neither comes out clean for me.

User Info Menu

Why double the root? I say double the 7th.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Why double the root? I say double the 7th.
    575588? Doubled 7th and 3rd?!

If I wanted to keep the bottom and top notes I'd play it 5x7788. They probably took you to see a doctor if you stacked fourths, back then.

User Info Menu

Monk - I'm glad I jogged your memory. I looked on YouTube for evidence of Johnny's playing, but all I found were some country tracks, with a very trebly Telecaster - a world away from Johnny Smith. Any recommendations?

Big Daddy - I guess the width of your fingerboard comes into play, as well as the thickness of your fingers. Sometimes I can play that fingering quite easily, but not so on every guitar.

Jeff - I guess in orchestral playing the subtlety would be lost. Just today I thought I'd start the book at the first page, see how I got on. There are some great sequences, but with the oddity here and there. He seems to have had no interest in voice leading the top note, though the example page shown above is a little better in that regard. I haven't seen Volume 1, and this Volume 2 starts on page 38, jumping straight in with tritone subs. It gave me a couple of ideas I had missed. Enjoying it.

Now, where to buy some brylcreem...?

User Info Menu

Monk - I'm glad I jogged your memory. I looked on YouTube for evidence of Johnny's playing, but all I found were some country tracks, with a very trebly Telecaster - a world away from Johnny Smith. Any recommendations?
    Rob,
    The videos you found were another Johnny Rector, a country singer. "Our" Johnny never mentioned any recordings in conversation. He did talk about playing in dance orchestras, with singers, teaching and arranging. He was a working musician who wrote a couple of well-known instruction books and worked for a time at Chicago Musical Instruments. He did mentioned working some with Art Van Damme. The last time I saw Johnny was in 2005 in Nashville.
    Regards,
    Jerome