The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 120 of 120

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joe2758
    pretty sure there are very few here "evolved" enough for that, and I'd wager the OP's problem isn't that he can't figure out how to "just let go"

like you said, skills first-- that's what we're all here working on. Didn't see anybody say it's the end goal
    Understood. But I just started a thread in Everything Else that hopefully can get some thought and conversation going about this stuff. I'd be interested in what you and others have to say.

But, briefly, I'm not talking about 'levels' or how 'evolved' someone is. We are all works in progress. I'm talking about being in tune with our 'larger selves'---beyond knowledge and ego. IMO anyone can get there, regardless of current accomplishment.

See you on that thread, I hope...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mooncef
    This Idea of D dorian , G myxolydian , and C ionian over II V I is just utter bulllshit IMHO , indeed the intervals change on each chord but i i've read on comment here , if you are gonna use 3 scales , at least pick scales that don't have the exact same notes ! that's why i love the Jimmy bruno aproach of no nonesense . it's all in the C pitch collection and you have to play a line note a scale over a chord !
    But watch what you do with that F. You could poke someone's eye out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    More like when there's a stretch of 2 or more bars of one chord or something, or sometimes I flirt with it in functional changes playing.
    "This is the second bar I've seen you at tonight; you're a bad little chord aren't you?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fasstrack
    Do skills contribute to this? Sure they do, but beware of skills as an end in themselves. They are easier to talk about than flow, which to me is talking about being open to having something wash over us that is so big and beautiful that they make skill (and ego) unimportant also-rans.
    I've mentioned it before, but the book Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi (that's pronounced (CHIX-a-ma-hi) is definite worth a read. Or watch his TED talk.

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: Flow, the secret to happiness | TED Talk | TED.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    +10,000 on the Boorstin allusion.

I love that guy's 3 main books. What an amazing knowledge. When the librarian at the Library of Congress actually reads and learns, and can write, you have an unbeatable combination.

You got me pulling The Creators down from the shelf again....
    Yeah, he's brilliant, one of my favorite writers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    But watch what you do with that F. You could poke someone's eye out.
    Dorian, Lydian, and Locrian went into a bar...

Somebody finish this.

'Can I get a witness​?....

User Info Menu

This well-meaning but dim-witted inebriate interrupted Gene's verse on Lush Life last night to tell me a joke so bad I won't repeat it. I was pissed but, sportsmanlike, laughed.

Gene finally told him, in not so many words (as did the rest of the barflies) to shut the f up...
    Last edited by fasstrack; 09-23-2016 at 03:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Dorian, Lydian, and Locrian went into a bar...

Somebody finish this.

'Can I get a witness​?....
    The barkeep says, "Before I serve you guys anything, I'll have to get your keys."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Thumpalumpacus
    The barkeep says, "Before I serve you guys anything, I'll have to get your keys."

Bingo!

You're a bad MF!

User Info Menu

And those who forgot the keys - get outside guys

User Info Menu

Hm, are there any real universal tests about all your music skills... that also measure the awesomeness or boringness of your produced notes? Nope!. So, this "tech vs feel" is just babbling. Bunch of opinions against even more opinions.
    ... but thats nice

Just to answer the OP. I cant help in theoretical/technical things but I can say that I'm pretty happy currently.

I do the technical stuff for 2-3 hours first and try to focus on on getting just a few things to work and groove. If lucky, I can find a good sounding way to play a thing.. whatever that might be. Today it was 6th chords as a scale against different chords. That felt pretty good. Also found out that most 7th intervals against 4rd Maj7 sound all pretty sweet and usable. I try to mix them all up and recall old stuff also - just to get them all connected. But it's never the same. Tomorrow who knows... something with the alt scale perhaps. There's sooooo many different things and most of those can wait.

Then about 1 hour of ear training - trying to play lines just in the correct key. Random diatonic chords&keys. Then trying to play the same but with harmonic intervals. There's also plenty of different things to do.

Then there usually comes the point where the mind shuts down and cant be bothered with anything intense
    Rest of the day play the pieces.. or hum while doing stuff.

Yeah, 0 frustration here. The solos may not come out brilliantly all the times but then I'm happy already when there's no ugly wrong notes. And if the keys of the piece don't get lost from the inner ear while playing.

User Info Menu

Bingo!

You're a bad MF!
    Wait 'til you hear me start riffing about vocalists!

User Info Menu

Wait 'til you hear me start riffing about vocalists!
    Go 'head. I'm all ears...

User Info Menu

How do you know a singer is delivering your pizza?

He never comes in when you tell him.

User Info Menu

Or she.

Go ahead, feminist police. throw vegetables. Tar and feather me. Got my protective poncho on ...

User Info Menu

Now is that a real poncho or a Sears poncho?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Can I interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

User Info Menu

Kind of related:

How do you know when there's a singer at your door?

They never have the right keys, and don't know when to come in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    A 'Chauvinist'....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Kind of related:

How do you know when there's a singer at your door?

They never have the right keys, and don't know when to come in.
    How many singers to change a lightbulb?

One; she holds the bulb and the world revolves around her.

(Apologies to FT, the gender-neutral stuff just ruins the rhythm).