The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Last edited by jzucker; 01-28-2016 at 10:03 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A lot of great stuff in there, Jack. Thanks!

Thanks, Jack!

User Info Menu

Thank you Jack, very helpful.

User Info Menu

Nice one, Jack! Just picking up on your final idea, there's also the possibility of approaching the home key via a harmonic cycle. For me, it's the aural equivalent of adjusting a microscope or telescope. The title of your video reminded me of a great example - Pat Martino's line in his solo over John Coltrane's Impressions (opening of the 2nd chorus):

How to play "outside" Vol I-4-impressions-martino-jpg

User Info Menu

Good stuff, Jack! Thanks.

User Info Menu

Masterful, Jack. The kind of bread-and-butter I can start using right now.

I bought your book, it is sitting on my desk, but I have not yet become a brilliant improvisor.

Am I doing something wrong? I mean, I bought the book?

;-)

Very nice Jack.! I know it takes a lot of time to produce those movies.
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

I hit the "like" button- including the Lesson and the Tone you are getting on that PRS !

User Info Menu

Very nice, thanks Jack!

User Info Menu

Also I find a couple of clothes pegs help stop your music blowing off the music stand. How to play "outside" Vol I-4

Great work jack love the playing!

thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by PMB
    Nice one, Jack! Just picking up on your final idea, there's also the possibility of approaching the home key via a harmonic cycle. For me, it's the aural equivalent of adjusting a microscope or telescope. The title of your video reminded me of a great example - Pat Martino's line in his solo over John Coltrane's Impressions (opening of the 2nd chorus):

How to play "outside" Vol I-4-impressions-martino-jpg
    i always loved that one. Stole it and put it in my repertoire.

updated with all 4 volumes

User Info Menu

Great stuff, thanks Jack!

User Info Menu

Really great. Much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Great stuff Jack. With the first video and the idea of going up a half step, is is safe to say that this is a no go with tunes like So What and Impressions? Would it mess up the rhythm section if they hear you going up early?

User Info Menu

*Sigh* I miss my PRS. Good lessons, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Feldman
    Great stuff Jack. With the first video and the idea of going up a half step, is is safe to say that this is a no go with tunes like So What and Impressions? Would it mess up the rhythm section if they hear you going up early?
    It's actually pretty common on modal tunes like so what to anticipate the chord change by as much as a bar. But typically in this sort of inside / outside approach you would be moving and and out of the chord as opposed to just moving up a 1/2 step and staying there.

You have to keep in mind what rhythm section you are playing with and whether they know your playing and whether you guys trust each other. I do a lot of anticipatory playing , both from a harmonic as well as rhythmic standpoint. Occasionally, I will be playing with an unsympathetic drummer and bassist who will interpret and backwards phrased line as me having dropped or added a beat and they will change. The same is true of altering the harmonic structure. Sometimes I will be playing a D-7 G7 Cmaj7 Sequence and I might be hearing Ab minor over the D-7 G7 and the bassist or keyboard player might hit an Ab- or Db7 chord. It's cool when they're listening but it negates the effect if overdone.

I guess there's no simple answer to this.