The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Another conversation I'm in with an older Jazz sax man who spend a lot of time with Sonny Stitt is that how we look at Jazz today is completely different than Bird, Diz and other did. To quote him... "they didn't think in this II-V stuff like they do today". He's reluctant to get into it says it's too big a topic and many won't understand, but I'm hoping to get him to say more.

If I can get him to open up I'll post it, my gut tells me is they viewed things very simply melody and chord function dominant-tonic based on ear. I hear things mentioned like look at the cadences reducing changes to series of V-I's. II was part of the V. Which BH and Martino talk about, but in slightly different approach. I heard the cats so many times say... it's all about the dominants.

So maybe one day I will get more for someone who talked with Stitt and others from the era.
    I would to hear what he says on the matter if you can dig anything else out of him..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

hey Chris, that's a pretty interesting trio. Nice stuff, brother

that really looks like a fun ensemble to play with

User Info Menu

Thanks man! Yes it is a fun group, lots of influences although the core is kind of Gypsy Jazz.... We did an album before Christmas which I'm really pleased with, looking forward to getting it out there :-)

User Info Menu

so is bebop harmony just Functional harmony, with added approach chords and voicings to help support the use of blue notes, and the extensions from melodic development. I'm old... I've also performed with many of the old road swing band players. The one chorus thing is still going on... But really isn't that just a different performance style.

Isn't bebop harmony... just basic functional harmony with modal harmonic organization used as embellishments.

And the use of voicings or as Nate mentioned, 2+2 etc...are approaches to help derive the notes... again while still using basic functional harmony. Modal Harmonic concepts or organizational approaches weren't really common practice yet.

When you perform 6 and 7 nights a week... you get pretty good developing solos from chord tones... your skill level improves from just embellishing with notes...to a few notes... to chords... to hey... maybe there is more going on harmonically. ( I know Christian... no there isn't, it's still what it was.)

.... Great music Christian, love it, looking forward to CD.