The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Perhaps you can try the microcosmic thing to the Tonic. I think it works because the ear hears and follows patterns. There are plenty of theoretical reasons why, to take another example, Blues scales shouldn't work in many contexts, but they do because they enforce a patterned order over what's gong on. Melody trumps harmony, kinda thing....
    Sure.

There's also more than one way to analyse the same thing. But I find in simplifying the harmony to functions there is a lot more room to improvise melodies and rhythms.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know you've already received a lot of answers to this thread, but I just want to reiterate that strong melodies spell out chord changes. So, although the Dorian mode "fits" both chords in a II V I type progression, not all Dorian melodies will "spell out" the chord change. You could explore guide tones, which are the strong chord tones for a particular type of chord ... Usually the 3rd and 7th. So Dm7 guide tones are F and C for example. By using guide tones in your melodies you can sometimes imply chord changes even at quick tempos.

For me, personally, thinking about chords takes priority over thinking about scales when I improvise. But when I was starting out, I focused on scales more, as you apparently are. Just explore fitting your scalar melodies to chords that you want to imply.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rsilver
    I know you've already received a lot of answers to this thread, but I just want to reiterate that strong melodies spell out chord changes. So, although the Dorian mode "fits" both chords in a II V I type progression, not all Dorian melodies will "spell out" the chord change. You could explore guide tones, which are the strong chord tones for a particular type of chord ... Usually the 3rd and 7th. So Dm7 guide tones are F and C for example. By using guide tones in your melodies you can sometimes imply chord changes even at quick tempos.

For me, personally, thinking about chords takes priority over thinking about scales when I improvise. But when I was starting out, I focused on scales more, as you apparently are. Just explore fitting your scalar melodies to chords that you want to imply.
    Depends how you play the scales

User Info Menu

Don't worry about scales for now. Practice digital patterns. 1235 for major and 1345 for minor. That will give you chord tones plus a passing/melodic note. Play those through tunes on each chord using every fingering you can think of. It's work, but will pay off in the long run.