The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 57 of 57

User Info Menu

Is the OP still around?

What Miles did (or even Wayne on his Adam's Apple record) isn't really copyable so we won't go that route. Just apply some logic to it.

• The usual t/a in Cm would be Ab7 - G7alt (or the RB version D7 - Db7). So in Dm that would be Bb7 - A7alt (or E7 - Eb7alt).
    • I'd play that as F mel (Bb lyd dom) - Bb mel (A7alt) (or B mel (E7 lyd dom) - E mel (Eb7alt)).

It all works over the F#m7b5 chords. And the scales also can be mixed and matched. But probably sticking to one or two options is less confusing. Also, having only two scales to use is much easier that trying to do something over every chord in that section.

Basically I'm using C dorian (Bb maj) for the Cm7 and F dorian (Eb maj) for the Fm7. With passing notes and some blues for colour.

Here are 4 versions. The t/a scales are:

1. F mel - Bb mel
    2. B mel - E mel
    3. F mel - E mel
    4. B mel - Bb mel

Last edited by ragman1; 04-27-2024 at 11:52 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    What I want to know - and which we'll probably never know - is why Wayne decided to write the 3-6-2-5 of Dm instead of Cm. My theory is he was

a) trying to be different
    b) trying to wind up Miles
    c)

Answers on a postcard.
    Wayne's composing seems to me to emphasise chord colours and voice leading. The melody of the turnaround ends on an F, but the harmony is a quartal C minor thing.

User Info Menu

Oh, don't be tho therwiuth

Of course, I'm not saying you're wrong...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    Wayne's composing seems to me to emphasise chord colours and voice leading. The melody of the turnaround ends on an F, but the harmony is a quartal C minor thing.
    That makes sense to me. xx3343 and xx5565 are both Cm quartal grips.

User Info Menu

Voicing is definitely important. Play some common grips for these chords, you might say "what?" Put the melody on top, and it's like "you open the door, the light goes on!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
    Voicing is definitely important. Play some common grips for these chords, you might say "what?" Put the melody on top, and it's like "you open the door, the light goes on!"
    100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu