The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hey, I want to develope my language over m7b5 chords - but I have difficulties finding good tunes to practice the language I have already... m7b5 chords do not often appear in 2 bars...

Any tips / suggestions?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You can treat any minor chord as a min7b5 with a substitution. Gmin6 = Emin7b5 etc. Lots of bossa tunes have long stretches of min6 chords that you can use this way. Lots of minor blues have these chords, of course, like Sugar.

Although, I already knew that... Thank you! Even more minor language hahaha..

User Info Menu

Check out Woody 'n You.

User Info Menu

Stella by Starlight

User Info Menu

Gloria's Step

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Horszt
    Hey, I want to develope my language over m7b5 chords - but I have difficulties finding good tunes to practice the language I have already... m7b5 chords do not often appear in 2 bars...

Any tips / suggestions?

I can't think of any songs that have a m7b5 appearing for more than one bar...

A few more standards with good m7b5 changes:

- Yesterdays

- Softly, as in a morning sunrise

- Round Midnight
    Last edited by EddieLastra; 10-16-2015 at 05:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Monk's San Francisco Holiday.

Thank you to all of you! I am going to check them out right now!

User Info Menu

Gentle Rain

User Info Menu

Bossa Nova is a good call. Here's some tunes...

Mourning - Claire Fischer

Happiness Is - Vince Giraldi

A Felicidade - Jobim

A Night in Tunisia - Gillespie

Besame Mucho - Valazquez

Bluesette - Toots Thieleman

User Info Menu

What Is This Thing Called Love?

User Info Menu

You got some m7b5 language with nowhere to put it? You kidding me? You can put it everywhere you don't have a Major sound going.... OK, let me back track a little. Elsewhere on this forum there is a discussion on George Benson handles changes. The implication being that he simply sees the music world in 2 spheres, T/D - Tonic (I, iii, vi) and Dominant (everything else). Given that m7b5 is the Dominantsound (eg Bm7b5 is rootless G9), then once you've mapped your chords in terms of either "T" or "D", try all your m7b5 language against anything deemed to be "D".

So for every ii, V , viim7b5 or even IV, all your m7b5 language can go to work. This isn't some cranky theory, it's actually how some players think.

User Info Menu

@pp, thanks for that bit of info.

User Info Menu

What is this Thing Called Love?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    You got some m7b5 language with nowhere to put it? You kidding me? You can put it everywhere you don't have a Major sound going.... OK, let me back track a little. Elsewhere on this forum there is a discussion on George Benson handles changes. The implication being that he simply sees the music world in 2 spheres, T/D - Tonic (I, iii, vi) and Dominant (everything else). Given that m7b5 is the Dominantsound (eg Bm7b5 is rootless G9), then once you've mapped your chords in terms of either "T" or "D", try all your m7b5 language against anything deemed to be "D".

So for every ii, V , viim7b5 or even IV, all your m7b5 language can go to work. This isn't some cranky theory, it's actually how some players think.
    Yes, absolutely...

This is related to one concept for the m7b5 chord I've been practicing a lot recently, so in the case of Bm7b5 E7 Ammaj7 you play on G7 G#o7 Ammaj7.

Realising that m7b5, 7, 7alt and m6 are all reflections of each other is a great realisation, albeit one that takes a while to work through:

Bm7b5 = G7 = Db7alt = Dm6(maj7)

User Info Menu

Night and Day