The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

We need an Ornette Thread.

How about this:

Sounds like the best of 20th century classical. And I mean that as the highest compliment

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Another example of melody constructed from motifs (sometimes transposed to different keys, sometimes sequential 'in key')

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think the older i get, the less i want to think about anything, really.
    Oh dont do that Jeff.

You're waaaaay too young to think like that!

User Info Menu

old is a state of mind and a matter of physical shape. Me, I carry myself like a 90 year old... But I am not yet 30. My dad is 70, but is in the shape of someone half my age... I gotta hit the gym more often

;

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    old is a state of mind and a matter of physical shape. Me, I carry myself like a 90 year old...

I was listening to a radio documentary the other day and it mentioned some research that was carried out into posture. If people deliberately stoop for only a few minutes, cortisol starts to be produced. Conversely, if they stand straight, testosterone is produced. Biologically programmed stuff. So, if one has bad posture, it not only projects submission (lack of confidence), but it can have long term effects on your health. Cortisol is associated with stress and you're literally forcing your body into stress by standing 'incorrectly' (the vast majority of us have bad posture).

The reason I was interested in this, is because 17 years ago I developed a problem with my neck. The osteopath I saw (in Europe, they're very different from those in the US...who are a watered down species), pointed out the flaws in my posture. I permanently slouched and had 'duck' feet, pointing outwards. In order to help my neck, I retrained myself to stand correctly. It took about six months of constantly checking myself, every time I stood or walked (I still slouch a bit when sitting).

I can honestly say that the process changed my life. You project more confidence and people treat you with more respect. Not only that, but the weird thing is you often feel more confident, simply by projecting an image of knowing what you're doing (through good posture). Self fulfilling prophesy? Partly, but recent research demonstrates that biology is also involved.

Just my experience, but if you're self conscious about your posture (which you seem to be), perhaps do something about it? I talk from personal experience when I say that having long-term health issues is not fun; and 'simply' (it's hard work) adjusting your posture can increase your prospects for a long, healthy life (or so it seems). At the very least, you'll probably avoid back/neck problems in later life.

EDIT:

http://www.stresshacker.com/2010/11/...lowers-stress/

Overview of one study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10633536

Lots more info online if you google. Never tried Alexander technique, but it was recommended to me...might be worth looking into?
    Last edited by GuitarGerry; 10-13-2015 at 05:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Interesting stuff. I am addressing it with my PT. Can we discuss it further on the PT thread? I don't want to totally derail thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irez87
    Interesting stuff. I am addressing it with my PT. Can we discuss it further on the PT thread? I don't want to totally derail thread
    My apologies Irez, didn't know about that thread. Where is it?! (too many subforums on this site and I lose track of everything).

User Info Menu

Here:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guita...pointment.html

I know, there are a lot of threads and it often gets overwhelming

No apologies taken, but this isn't my thread. I don't want to derail a thread that someone else started to investigate something very important

User Info Menu

It's tempting to start another thread. Physical health and posture for guitar playing, back problems etc..

User Info Menu

Already did

Search "PT and Health Insurance" on the search bar

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    First step is "think key, not chord."
    I agree, Jeff. I've seen the opposite advocated so many times on this site. Most jazz is tonal, key-centered music. There is a lot of key shifting, but still.

i understand the concept of outlining the chords. It's a major component of bebop. But, the way some suggest it be done seems too formulaic to me. Chord tones on down beat only. Emphasize thirds and sevenths.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gnatola
    I agree, Jeff. I've seen the opposite advocated so many times on this site. Most jazz is tonal, key-centered music. There is a lot of key shifting, but still.

i understand the concept of outlining the chords. It's a major component of bebop. But, the way some suggest it be done seems too formulaic to me. Chord tones on down beat only. Emphasize thirds and sevenths.
    We practice formulas, because its a good way to focus what you are doing. Practice chord tones for example on 1 and 3, 1 2 3 4 , 2 and 4, on a 4 anticipation etc.

It's good to be specific in your practice because it develops flexibility and intuitive control.