The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 848
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    To be honest, I find his videos unnecessarily long-winded. I keep finding myself thinking, "Get to the point!". Maybe it's just that at this module level I already know what he's talking about. I'm sure that will change.
    YouTube has a playback speed feature which is really handy BTW. You can speed up the big band/Freddy green guy who talks so slowly or slow Reg down to a speed which one YT commenter referred to as "human". :-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mark, he teaches the fingerings while outlining the cycle of 4th/5ths. He seems keen you develop a sense of scale relationships within the context of moving chords, and as we know, in jazz, chords very often move around the cycle. So, you will be learning how to go around I IV VII III VI II V I in one position, then do it in six other positions.

I hope that helps.
    Yes, Rob. Thanks. It does. Going around I IV VII III VI II V I in a single position is something I need work on. I suppose like many players who started with rock / blues / country, I know a lot of things through the cycle starting on the low E and A strings, but that's not good enough for jazz. I'm learning two perpetual motion exercises from David Baker's "How to Play Bebop (v. 1)" and it's work. So many different ways to finger things on guitar---I'm having to work out which ones work best and when / where to move. We often talk of loving choices but until one has a "default" (Reg's term) down, choices are more confusing than helpful. That's one of the main things I hope to get from this course---a way to work through the changes of a tune in one position, then another, then another, knowing the arps too, and not having to think about it. I'm not there yet....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    The gold level is only $90.00 for access to the videos and forums for 12 months..thats cheap!!! That's $7.50 a month..lol
    That's what I'm looking at now. At first I thought I'd just buy the e-books but now I'm leaning toward the 'gold' package. Maybe order it Monday....

(By the way, the place I play chess is only $6.99 a month! Another great value...)

User Info Menu

Just to qualify something I said...you learn to play V7 arps and mixolydian scales through all 12 keys in one five-fret position, and eventually do that all over the fretboard. It's a good workout for both hands.

User Info Menu

Just to qualify something I said...you learn to play V7 arps and mixolydian scales through all 12 keys in one five-fret position, and eventually do that all over the fretboard. It's a good workout for both hands.
    I would only add to that is later expand to do II-V and V-I those are the basic cycle that you'll playing constantly. It's all about practicing playing thru cycles. Listen to horn player practice they will play thru cycle for hours, there are youtubes of Clifford Brown practicing and he's playing cycles. Then on guitar like Rob is say do it in a single position you will learn so much about the fretboard. Playing cycles is the basis of improv practice and you can make simple to very hard by the goal and conditions you put on the exercise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I would only add to that is later expand to do II-V and V-I those are the basic cycle that you'll playing constantly. It's all about practicing playing thru cycles. Listen to horn player practice they will play thru cycle for hours, there are youtubes of Clifford Brown practicing and he's playing cycles. Then on guitar like Rob is say do it in a single position you will learn so much about the fretboard. Playing cycles is the basis of improv practice and you can make simple to very hard by the goal and conditions you put on the exercise.
    Yep. Spot on.

In the 3 1/2 months since I started this program I know the Dominant 7th scale and Arpeggios better then I ever have before and now with his systematic way of learning all the ways to approach the target notes it start to get really cool
    Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I was looking at "Patterns for Jazz" the other day and noticed the use of other movements too: minor 2nds (chromatic up and down the neck), Major 2nds (whole steps), minor 3rds, and Major 3rds. And of course, the regular ol' cycle.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I was looking at "Patterns for Jazz" the other day and noticed the use of other movements too: minor 2nds (chromatic up and down the neck), Major 2nds (whole steps), minor 3rds, and Major 3rds. And of course, the regular ol' cycle.
    Yes, besides the cycle you'll hear players using symmetric sequences since there appear a lot in tunes. Like II-V's in whole steps, or chords moving a minor 3rds, major 3rd is real important chord movement, half-step sequence. You see symmetric sequences because they usually cycle around. As I've mentioned in the past my bass improv teacher for arpeggio and scale voice leading exercises would come up with usual sequences of II-V-I to make them longer, but they would all eventually wrap around. Like a long one would be up a minor 3rd, then up a whole step. Now that could be chord roots, or keys of II-V-I or etc.

Symmetry is important part of Jazz in scales, chord, and key movements for Miles, Coltrane and others. I brought up diminished to my to my teacher and comment was that is a HUGE topic, I plan to start exploring it more next year.

User Info Menu

The site construction lacks, sadly. I'm a gold member. I first signed in tonight and the site was under construction, then the videos crapped out three times, when I reloaded and went back to the spot I was before, Richie's face moved in slow contortions because the stream was out of whack. Maybe he could get his web guy to fix this. It's irritating. There's a 30 day money back guarantee on silver and gold memberships.
    Otherwise, it's an excellent course.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleman3726
    The site construction lacks, sadly. I'm a gold member. I first signed in tonight and the site was under construction, then the videos crapped out three times, when I reloaded and went back to the spot I was before, Richie's face moved in slow contortions because the stream was out of whack. Maybe he could get his web guy to fix this. It's irritating. There's a 30 day money back guarantee on silver and gold memberships.
    FWIW, I just went there and the video is playing perfectly well for me...

User Info Menu

Great. I went to Module 1 and it totally crapped out on me with a new page telling me his site is experiencing problems.
    I'll try later.

User Info Menu

Actually, I just found out I am platinum member.
    Ha!

User Info Menu

With Black Friday and pre-Cyber Monday sales going on the internet has a lot of traffic and small sites streaming are going to have issues. Waiting awhile and trying again will probably help.

User Info Menu

quote "Clifford Brown practicing cycles" is there a link?

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    quote "Clifford Brown practicing cycles" is there a link?

Will

Just type Clifford Brown Practice into google.

User Info Menu

I've not had any trouble so far with the site - it all seems to work perfectly.

User Info Menu

I've not had any trouble so far with the site - it all seems to work perfectly.
    Same here. It has worked great despite my accessing it from my phone and my crummy hot spot that like to malfunction. Surely this was just a temporary thing. Kind of like when the Jazz Guitar forum goes down for a while. Anyway, I have every bit of confidence in his site.

Been a member since August never had any playback issues

User Info Menu

I heard back from Richie Zellon on the subject of "fingering cycles." Below is a portion of what he wrote. (I'm pretty much sold on this course now...)

>>>>As you are probably aware, all linear playing is done either horizontally or vertically on the fretboard. When using heptatonic scales (7 note), there are 7 established fingering patterns for any 7 note configuration (This is applicable to any scale or mode). These patterns are cyclical both horizontally and vertically.

Let me briefly try to explain how the vertical cycle works. Its purpose is to enable us to play through all 12 keys in any area of the fretboard within 2 adjacent positions. In other words, using our index, middle, ring or pinky, we should be able to start a total of 7 scales with different roots staying in 1 position. By shifting down or up, a half step into the next position, we should be able to access the additional 5 scales to now have all 12 existing notes available to us. In the heptatonic system each fingering is numerically categorized and will always remain true to its characteristics. For instance, Pattern 1 always assigns the index to the root on the 6th string, regardless of the mode or scale and Pattern 4 always assigns the index to the root on the 5th string. When you clearly understand all the 7 fingering patterns and their characteristics, you can play them through the descending cycle of 5ths. A vertical fingering cycle which is applicable anywhere on the fretboard now becomes evident. For example, staying in position, pattern 1 will always be followed by pattern 4, which will always be followed by pattern 7...etc until the cycle is fulfilled and you cover all 12 keys. You can start the cycle on any pattern and it will always follow the same numerical sequence.<<<<<

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think that's what I said, though he put it better!

The 1st Module is dedicated to playing the Mixolydian mode and its corresponding V7 arpeggio on all 12 degrees in one (extended) position, and then doing that all over the fretboard. You also apply it to a simple 3-chord Blues in all 12 keys.

There are also Ear Training techniques (singing roots, thirds, fifths, octaves) and rhythm studies. Some theory in there too.

Come on in, Mark, the water is warm!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I think that's what I said, though he put it better!

The 1st Module is dedicated to playing the Mixolydian mode and its corresponding V7 arpeggio on all 12 degrees in one (extended) position, and then doing that all over the fretboard. You also apply it to a simple 3-chord Blues in all 12 keys.

There are also Ear Training techniques (singing roots, thirds, fifths, octaves) and rhythm studies. Some theory in there too.

Come on in, Mark, the water is warm!
    I'm coming in! Sometime this week, perhaps today.

I'm basically in as well. I'd be interested in a study group or whatever in the coming year. I will, however, make a couple of comments.

First, I'd recommend that anyone considering purchase get the gold version at the very least. I got the silver and it is really solid print material in my opinion But it does lack some of the scope and sequence that is being talked about in this thread with other versions. I'd imagine that it's probably well worth the extra expense.

Second, it should be made clear, if it hasn't already, that a couple of his 7 fingerings utilize fourth finger stretches rather than first finger stretches. This is true for 2 of the first 3 patterns presented in the material. NSJ mentioned this , but I thought I would restate it.

Since I've spent a good bit of time the last year or so working 7 fingerings favoring FIRST finger stretches (major and melodic minor w/ reg fingerings), I'll continue to utilize those with the standard notation in this material.

It's really apples and oranges. even if you're going to use tab, it would only change a few notes here and there, especially at the beginning. Not a huge deal, but you'd have to have your head around what's going on to do it a different way.

Basically, the fingerings cycle . You may pick up on this if you play them around the cycle the way Richie talks about. Anyway, if you kept going around the cycle, evolving the fingerings , you'd get the other 2 I'm using in favor of Richie's first 2.

Not trying to derail, but fingerings can be contentious, and this is somewhat breaking with Leavitt/reg philosophies re. stretches. From cursory looking, I'd say Richie's is mostly Leavitt 's "first 5" plus 2 additional type 4's. (reg's would be Leavitt's first 5 plus 2 additional type 1's). Again, not necessarily a huge deal if you're not already invested in anything specific.
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 11-30-2015 at 04:01 PM.

My Module 4 opened up on 11.13.15 but I'm still working on Module 3...This is the kind of stuff that if you want it really ingrained so it's 2nd nature and you don't have 8 hours a day to practice will take more then a year that's for sure. I guess if your fairly advanced maybe it won't, but juts getting the bebop calisthenics down is a lot of work. Not to mention ear training, Rhythm training, Rhythm templates, Etudes, phrases, I try and do 2 to 3 hours a night and it's still now enough...lol
    Ken

PS, can't wait until we get to the II V's