The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Posts 451 to 475 of 848
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I've literally just opened it...got myself a cup of herbal tea and some biscuits...this is how to learn jazz!

Rob
    You'll see a hell of a lot more to work on in module 2
    Ken

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Well, I didn't expect anything dramatic, just an email notification that the next module was open. But it's not that way. I'll just have to check. No biggie, just curious.
    Just messin' with you, Mark.

I expected some sort of notification as well, maybe in the form of an email or flag when I logged in. As was stated earlier, there was no such thing. Like you, I don't think it is a necessary feature, but it might be nice for some who are chomping at the bit to move on.

Happy Holidays to you and yours.

User Info Menu

Great now I can 't play with out some tea and biscuits. In my case its coffee and Oreo's but now I am craving. Happy Holidays everyone.

User Info Menu

I've literally just opened it...got myself a cup of herbal tea and some biscuits...this is how to learn jazz!

Rob

It's Jazz it Egg McMuffin and coffee or something stronger as necessary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    It's Jazz it Egg McMuffin and coffee or something stronger as necessary.
    Been lurking in this thread and irreverent as it is, I just can't help but post this...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morekiller
    Been lurking in this thread and irreverent as it is, I just can't help but post this...

That's where I first heard it ages ago, I think they did it another time because I remember him going into demanding a McMuffin <bleep> and calling it a Jazz breakfast.
    Last edited by docbop; 12-22-2015 at 06:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Well, the second module certainly has a lot of work to get through. We have to memorise ten different ways of decorating the V7 arpeggios of the first module, and that's just the start. Lots more involved, but I haven't had time to look ahead much. Head down...get to work...Christmas is cancelled!

User Info Menu

Well, the second module certainly has a lot of work to get through. We have to memorise ten different ways of decorating the V7 arpeggios of the first module, and that's just the start. Lots more involved, but I haven't had time to look ahead much. Head down...get to work...Christmas is cancelled!
    I think Module 2 opens for me the day after Christmas, so I'm luckier than I had thought. ;o)

At least I can say I'm "booked" for New Year's Eve! ;o)
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 12-22-2015 at 11:04 PM.

I asked Richie about memorizing the bebop Cal patterns and he said you really don't memorize them but you learn their sounds in your head.
    Ken

destinytot Guest
    Really enjoying the course. The Bebop Calisthenics alone are worth more than the price of admission - phenomenal value. And I think Richie presents concept extremely well. Holidays begin tomorrow...

User Info Menu

Got through all the introductions and set-up in Module 1 last night. Really does seem to be jammed full of content. Ritchie mentioned that this is a college level course. That should be all I need to convince the wife to leave me alone for a few hours a day. "Sorry honey, got to get my school work done".

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    Really enjoying the course. The Bebop Calisthenics alone are worth more than the price of admission - phenomenal value. And I think Richie presents concept extremely well. Holidays begin tomorrow...
    Glad you like it, are you on Module 1?
    Ken

User Info Menu

Well today Module 2 became available to me - I am busy looking over what is contained within and printing off the .pdf's - and realizing I need to do a lot more woodshedding on Module 1 to really take advantage of Module 2 ) -so this may be a seesaw process for me but I must say I believe I have learned more in a month that is sticking and makes sense than I have in years of alternate exploring.

I am currently working with the etudes and just noticed that Richie recommends Band in a Box to play them- seems like it offers the ability to change aspects of the files - what other advantage does it offer over simply using the mp3's? is it worth the $130 as a learning/practice tool?

Will

Quote Originally Posted by WillMbCdn5
    Well today Module 2 became available to me - I am busy looking over what is contained within and printing off the .pdf's - and realizing I need to do a lot more woodshedding on Module 1 to really take advantage of Module 2 ) -so this may be a seesaw process for me but I must say I believe I have learned more in a month that is sticking and makes sense than I have in years of alternate exploring.

I am currently working with the etudes and just noticed that Richie recommends Band in a Box to play them- seems like it offers the ability to change aspects of the files - what other advantage does it offer over simply using the mp3's? is it worth the $130 as a learning/practice tool?

Will

Don't feel bad My module 5 opened on the 13th and I'm still working on 3 and 4...Like he says you will be working on this material long after the 12 months are up...Its a a lot of info. I love downloading into BAIB, you can change keys, tempos and styles.
    Ken

User Info Menu

I've got the books only can some one give me an idea of how far goes or where module two starts? I'm trying to get feel for how big a module is.

I've got the books only can some one give me an idea of how far goes or where module two starts? I'm trying to get feel for how big a module is.

Module 2 had double the content of Module 1

destinytot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    Glad you like it, are you on Module 1?
    Ken
    I love it - thanks again for talking it up! I've got access to all modules - but, yes I'm on Module 1. I'm starting with In A Nutshell to understand the purpose and objectives, working through. (And I'm watching from a stepper/treadmill and using a projector and headphones .)

Quote Originally Posted by destinytot
    I love it - thanks again for talking it up! I've got access to all modules - but, yes I'm on Module 1. I'm starting with In A Nutshell to understand the purpose and objectives, working through. (And I'm watching from a stepper/treadmill and using a projector and headphones .)

Your welcome!
    Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    Module 2 had double the content of Module 1

I don't care about quantities just trying to get a feel looking at the material where about where module 1 ended to get feel. The Lesson book has 9 Lessons, Workbook has 7 Parts I assume a Module is a combination of both plus the ear train that isn't in the books.

Whatever, not important just curious.

I don't care about quantities just trying to get a feel looking at the material where about where module 1 ended to get feel. The Lesson book has 9 Lessons, Workbook has 7 Parts I assume a Module is a combination of both plus the ear train that isn't in the books.

I'm curious about this as well . I'll probably upgrade in the next week or two. I think it's roughly lesson two. Where the bebop calisthenics start is module two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    I'm curious about this as well . I'll probably upgrade in the next week or two. I think it's roughly lesson two. Where the bebop calisthenics start is module two.
    I'll probably join later once I have the holidays paid off, I could use the work on ear training. Like you I'm interesting in Jazz education and how people approach it.

User Info Menu

Doc, I'll let you know as soon as Module 2 opens for me. I thought it would open the day after Christmas but I was wrong. It will open on the 30th of December.

User Info Menu

Would this program be doable for a non-musical knowledgable player? Or it advanced requiring knowledge of theory, etc?

I have played guitar for years, but not very knowledgable in the make up of what I'm playing... If that makes sense.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

There's a lot of attention given to intervals, rather than the name of the notes. So, you should have a good grasp of root, 3rd, 5th, 7th at least. These are the target notes, to which are added chromatic approach notes and similar devices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    Would this program be doable for a non-musical knowledgable player? Or it advanced requiring knowledge of theory, etc?

I have played guitar for years, but not very knowledgable in the make up of what I'm playing... If that makes sense.

Thanks.

From looking that the books not the online course I would say you do not need an Advanced theory, just be solid on the fundamental theory of scales, intervals, how chords are built chord tones the basics.