The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Posts 351 to 375 of 848
    cool

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Solved! Richie got back to me right away and fixed it!
    Let the games begin!
    I have noticed a lot more frequent interruptions. He seems to be working on upgrading the site and adding things.

Once, the site said it was down and then there was a counter on the screen counting as the upgrade was taking place. It never has been down long, however.

User Info Menu

I (--Module 1, early on) have been working on the cycle of 7th arpeggios. That was easy enough. Now i'm working on a David Baker "perpetual motion" exercise. It's a two-measure form (a measure of G- and one of C7b9 for starters) that runs through the cycle. The exercise is all in eighth notes and they run as follows:

3 b3 2 b2 R 7 b7 6 (-that's the first measure)

5 4 3 5 b7 b9 R b7. (Sometimes the last two beats are different: b7 b9 3 5.)

I'm working it all out in Zone 1 (-frets 1 through 4), which calls for some open strings.

It's work but I'm gaining a deeper knowledge of the fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    I (--Module 1, early on) have been working on the cycle of 7th arpeggios. That was easy enough. Now i'm working on a David Baker "perpetual motion" exercise. It's a two-measure form (a measure of G- and one of C7b9 for starters) that runs through the cycle. The exercise is all in eighth notes and they run as follows:

I'm working it all out in Zone 1 (-frets 1 through 4), which calls for some open strings.

You're going to need a lot more time for Module 2
    ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    You're going to need a lot more time for Module 2
    ken
    Looking forward to it; mine starts in 2 days!

User Info Menu

I'm working on the same Baker exercise--your thread on Baker inspired me to get out my book!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dingusmingus
    I'm working on the same Baker exercise--your thread on Baker inspired me to get out my book!
    Great! That is a good book. I like his "jazz calisthenics". I was playing those before and haven't really thought of them (or worked on them) while thinking of Richie's fingerings, but the "perpetual motion" exercise seemed like the best place to start. Also, there's an abbreviated cycle (-the bridge for 'rhythm changes') near that part of the book and I apply Richie's fingerings to that too.

One thing that was always simple---play up one arpeggio (1 3 5 b7) and down the next (b7 5 3 1)---is a slower-go for me with all 7 fingerings to deal with, but day by day it's getting more where my fingers know where to go without me having to think much about it. This is the niftiest thing I've learned in a long time and I'm going to town on it!

User Info Menu

I've seen a few references to a book? Can't seem to find a link?
    I don't mean the pdf downloads.
    It would cost a small fortune to print all these!

Quote Originally Posted by jasaco
    Looking forward to it; mine starts in 2 days!

Let me know what you think of module 2
    ken

User Info Menu

Actually it's three books, Lessons, Workbook, and Scales and Arp's, Amazon has them. I borrowed two of them and scanning thru them.
    Last edited by docbop; 12-09-2015 at 12:47 AM.

The silver option of the course is pdf of three books (sounds basically like what doc bop is describing) plus BIAB files and mp3's. That's the "book" I was talking about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    The silver option of the course is pdf of three books (sounds basically like what doc bop is describing) plus BIAB files and mp3's. That's the "book" I was talking about.
    Thanks Matt.
    I found them on amazon.
    Richie mentioned them in one of the intro videos, as well.
    So much easier, for me, to grab a book off my shelf, than to download, print, organize...
    Plus, I like the idea of giving a little more back to Richie!
    He's given a ton of stuff for a very small price!

Cheers,
    Ron

User Info Menu

like I said earlier, the layout is slightly different and maybe the scope . So, what are the assignments you guys are working on for the first month? obviously patterns one, four, five and arpeggios , the voice leading exercises...
    Matt, the assignments for Module 1 include watching 16 videos (-average length five minutes) which introduce you to Richie's system / approach and teach you seven fingering patterns of the Mixolydian scale and how they move through the cycle (1-4-7-3-6-2-5). Also, he wants students to review the "chord studies" videos (-which are not part of Module 1 itself but things one needs to know, though one need not master them before working on the fingerings, etc. For now, inversions of 7th chords on the top four strings are the focus.) The emphasis, so far as playing goes, is on learning the I - IV -V scales / arpeggios in F (patterns 1, 4, 5) and mastering two voice-leading exercises. (The videos include a 'rhythm lab' and 'ear training' as well as a summing up "in a nutshell" vidoe that reviews all Richie covered in the Module.)

It's not as busy as the following Modules will be and I think that is appropriate---it takes a while to figure out how one is going to work on the material, and what other things one may let slide while devoting more practice time to what Richie i teaching. I am going to make a big deal of it, meaning there will be less time for other things I might want to play.

If you have any more specific questions, please ask.

User Info Menu

Mark, it will be interesting how you combine this and your Charlie Christian studies. I think they will be complementary for the most part.

User Info Menu

I discovered last night if you have the books you can download the BIAB and mp3s so the difference is the videos.

User Info Menu

I went ahead and ordered the workbook and the lesson book today. I just like having those things available as I am on "old school" type of guy. But I do enjoy his website's configuration. I think it was well thought out.

I will eventually order the book on "Arpeggios and Fingerings" when I get the money available.

And yes, from what I can see, the course books are divided into three different titles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    I went ahead and ordered the workbook and the lesson book today. I just like having those things available as I am on "old school" type of guy. But I do enjoy his website's configuration. I think it was well thought out.

I will eventually order the book on "Arpeggios and Fingerings" when I get the money available.

And yes, from what I can see, the course books are divided into three different titles.

I'll probably do that too, though there's no rush. I only had to print 10 or so pages for the work in Module 1, which all fit in a single binder (-with lots of room to spare.) I like having books, something to hold and thumb through, but if I had the books now, I'd rush ahead to "the good stuff" that comes later and ignore the grunt work I need to do now....
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 12-10-2015 at 10:45 AM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Mark, it will be interesting how you combine this and your Charlie Christian studies. I think they will be complementary for the most part.
    Rob, I'm interested in that too!

It's curious that although Richie teaches 7 Mixolydian fingerings, there are only three different starting points. For example, if you want to play the C mixolydian scale, patterns 1, 2, and 3 start on the 8th fret of low E, while 4,5, and 6 start on the 3rd fret of the A string, and pattern 7 starts on fret 10 of the D strings. What Richie does that Herb didn't teach was how to connect the patterns through the cycle. THAT is the genius of this system----it does what Reg has often talked about, making the whole fingerboard a single grid. Fine for him, but how were the rest of us supposed to get to that point? I think Richie's showing us the way!

It staggers me to think that I never heard this mentioned before. Sure, 'play it in all 12 keys,' but that's easy as pie if you're just moving up and down the neck chromatically (-the way Mickey Baker taught us to! ;o) but of little practical use when playing tunes. Whereas Richie's way is designed to play over changes. Why did no one think of this before????
    Last edited by MarkRhodes; 12-09-2015 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Correction of error Rob MacKillop caught

User Info Menu

It's curious that although Richie teaches 7 Mixolydian fingerings, there are only three different starting points. For example, if you want to play the C mixolydian scale, patterns 1, 2, and 3 start on the 8th fret of low E, while 4,5, and 6 start on the 8th fret of the A string, and pattern 7 starts on fret 10 of the D strings.
    Mark, 4, 5 and 6 would start at the 3rd fret, surely? Either that, or I've been doing it wrong for or three weeks...which wouldn't surprise me! :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Mark, 4, 5 and 6 would start at the 3rd fret, surely? Either that, or I've been doing it wrong for or three weeks...which wouldn't surprise me! :-)
    Doh! Yes, of course you're right, on the C note on the A string. Sorry about that.

User Info Menu

Rob, I'm interested in that too!

It's curious that although Richie teaches 7 Mixolydian fingerings, there are only three different starting points. For example, if you want to play the C mixolydian scale, patterns 1, 2, and 3 start on the 8th fret of low E, while 4,5, and 6 start on the 3rd fret of the A string, and pattern 7 starts on fret 10 of the D strings. What Richie does that Herb didn't teach was how to connect the patterns through the cycle. THAT is the genius of this system----it does what Reg has often talked about, making the whole fingerboard a single grid. Fine for him, but how were the rest of us supposed to get to that point? I think Richie's showing us the way!

It staggers me to think that I never heard this mentioned before. Sure, 'play it in all 12 keys,' but that's easy as pie if you're just moving up and down the neck chromatically (-the way Mickey Baker taught us to! ;o) but of little practical use when playing tunes. Whereas Richie's way is designed to play over changes. Why did no one think of this before????

I've had teachers say that all the way back to GIT in 1980. 12 keys one position plus or minus one fret. The way my Berklee based teacher their version five frets up from start from index finger. Always hearing practice everything in 12 keys in one position. The one teacher has a set of dice and when you have to play something you first roll the dice and has a chart for each number equals a key to play in. Then roll the dice a second time and that the fret your index finger will be on. Now that can be scary!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I've had teachers say that all the way back to GIT in 1980.
    I had heard that too but I didn't know what to do with the idea. Richie shows you how, which is what I needed. I had never heard of someone coming up with fingerings that were designed to allow one to play through the cycle in one position, to flow in a certain order from one to the next.

I practice all 12 keys in basically one position and the Arpeggios as well, takes like 30 seconds to go though all 12 keys if that. But I am falling behind in the Modules, its just a tremendous amount of information to absorb...My 5th module opens on 12.13 and I'm still working on bebop calisthenics form Module 3

Ken

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    I practice all 12 keys in basically one position and the Arpeggios as well, takes like 30 seconds to go though all 12 keys if that. But I am falling behind in the Modules, its just a tremendous amount of information to absorb...My 5th module opens on 12.13 and I'm still working on bebop calisthenics form Module 3

Ken
    Remember, though, the course is designed to take a year but there are only 9 modules, one per month for 9 months, with three months to finish anything unfinished, review, integrate, and whatnot.

Remember, though, the course is designed to take a year but there are only 9 modules, one per month for 9 months, with three months to finish anything unfinished, review, integrate, and whatnot.
    He also states most people won't finish in a year and can get the course extended.
    Ken