The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Posts 326 to 350 of 848

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    Those exercises sound challenging. I'll have to try them out. I've read a fair bit of Carol's material and was familiar with the term "thumb pivot" but frankly, I never thought much about it.

Pivoting on the thumb is something I heard more from bass instructors than guitar. It was more about shifting out of position for some notes and back when the range of the music is large. I think it comes from upright bass playing and haven't heard it talked about in a long time.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Those exercises sound challenging. I'll have to try them out. I've read a fair bit of Carol's material and was familiar with the term "thumb pivot" but frankly, I never thought much about it.
    Mark, those exercises may sound challenging, but in reality they are much easier and there’s no strain involved. Left hand fingering, thumb and wrist placement are very important to place correctly to avoid all tendonitis and potential CTS problems. I have relatively small hands and even though I can do the five fret stretch in the first position with the index, middle & pinky, doing so with the index, ring & pinky is still impossible.

The “Thumb Pivot Technique”; rather than full shift out of position; gives me greater control and allows me to take advantage of Richie’s fingerings. If I can’t develop the necessary stretch between the ring & pinky, I’m not gonna force and do it at all cost. It’s just not worth it. I thought I’d mention this technique in case someone, who’s not aware of it, wants to try it out.

User Info Menu

I joined last month. Really dig his layered and organized approach that for me, ties together concepts I've struggled with over the years. Looking forward to tagging along with everyone's progress.

User Info Menu

I am delighted at how useful Richie's fingering patterns are for running through the cycle of dominants. (I-4-7-3-6-2-5.) I can run through the cycle several times without pause, confusion, or having to think---it's just right there for me. Man, that's sweet! Now I have to vary the patterns, add new ones.. This is really good stuff, and not just another slice of the same old thing.

I am delighted at how useful Richie's fingering patterns are for running through the cycle of dominants. (I-4-7-3-6-2-5.) I can run through the cycle several times without pause, confusion, or having to think---it's just right there for me. Man, that's sweet! Now I have to vary the patterns, add new ones.. This is really good stuff, and not just another slice of the same old thing.
    I run though the cycle of 5ths using all 7 patterns staying in 1 position, it takes no time to get good at it..I use it as a warm up and do it for 5 minutes along with the 7 fingering patterns though the cycle as well.
    Its great how I know the cycle instantly now and all the degrees!!
    Ken

I run though the cycle of 5ths using all 7 patterns staying in 1 position, it takes no time to get good at it..I use it as a warm up and do it for 5 minutes along with the 7 fingering patterns though the cycle as well.
    Its great how I know the cycle instantly now and all the degrees!!
    Ken

Me too. I've also been playing through beginning bebop calisthenics, and I'm struck by how they really enforce thinking about scale degrees in a more conscious way, since each one works on different degrees.

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    You've sold me!
    I'll be joining later today (gold level) and am looking forward to being involved in these discussions.
    Cheers,
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RonD
    Hi guys,
    You've sold me!
    I'll be joining later today (gold level) and am looking forward to being involved in these discussions.
    Cheers,
    Ron
    Cool!!!
    ken

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    Me too. I've also been playing through beginning bebop calisthenics, and I'm struck by how they really enforce thinking about scale degrees in a more conscious way, since each one works on different degrees.
    I also love the idea of Intervallic script...What I did was wrote many of the etudes in a separate book just using intervallic scrip that way I can't see and see what the actual notes are and just focus on the degree's. It makes it so easy to then play in any position as long as you know the degrees in that fingering.
    ken

User Info Menu

I look forward to getting there! (I take it you're in Module 2.)

intervallic script is not coming as easily to me. I see the point of it, and look forward to becoming more comfortable with it, but it comin' naturally to me!

User Info Menu

Hi guys,
    You've sold me!
    Cheers,
    Ron
    Welcome aboard, Ron. I just started last week, so I'll be in Volume 1 through Christmas. Maybe we can compare notes.

intervallic script is not coming as easily to me. I see the point of it, and look forward to becoming more comfortable with it, but it comin' naturally to me!
    My Module 4 opened on 11.13.15 But still working on 3, I don't have 8 hours a day, maybe 2 to 2.5 hours a night to practice...And I'm moving on until I have most of it down and even then you need to keep reviewing it.
    Ken

User Info Menu

Someone lent me one of the books to check out and it's dragging guitarist into thinking like everyone else does into scale degrees and getting beyond dot's on a grid to knowing what notes/degrees are in those dots. I imagine he will tie this with ear training so when you hear a sound your fingers will automatically know were to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Someone lent me one of the books to check out and it's dragging guitarist into thinking like everyone else does into scale degrees and getting beyond dot's on a grid to knowing what notes/degrees are in those dots. I imagine he will tie this with ear training so when you hear a sound your fingers will automatically know were to find it.
    Yes every Module has ear training

Yeah. I just have the PDF version. I may take Richie up on the upgrade after Christmas. It's a little different I guess , but yes, lesson two 's what it's called.

like I said earlier, the layout is slightly different and maybe the scope . So, what are the assignments you guys are working on for the first month? obviously patterns one, four, five and arpeggios , the voice leading exercises...

Yeah. I just have the PDF version. I may take Richie up on the upgrade after Christmas. It's a little different I guess , but yes, lesson two 's what it's called.

like I said earlier, the layout is slightly different and maybe the scope . So, what are the assignments you guys are working on for the first month? obviously patterns one, four, five and arpeggios , the voice leading exercises...
    I'm on Module 4 but really still working on the 3...The Bebop Calisthenics probably requires the most work, I can see how this stuff becomes vocabulary.
    ken

User Info Menu

Uh-oh... help!
    I just paid for my enrollment via paypal. It went through but wouldn't redirect me to the site.
    Now even the link posted here isn't working??

Uh-oh... help!
    I just paid for my enrollment via paypal. It went through but wouldn't redirect me to the site.
    Now even the link posted here isn't working??

Try this

Bebop Guitar Improv Series |

Ken

User Info Menu

Does anybody have contact info for Richie?

did you try the link I posted

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    did you try the link I posted
    Yes. Now I can get back on the page, but have no way to log in, as registration wasn't completed!
    I just sent Richie a message, via his website... now, I wait.
    Not a good start.

What do you mean registration wasn't completed? Did you get billed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayer007
    What do you mean registration wasn't completed? Did you get billed?
    Payment went through.

User Info Menu

Solved! Richie got back to me right away and fixed it!
    Let the games begin!