The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 104

User Info Menu

Pat Martino - Impressions
    Wes - Caravan
    Jesse van Ruller - The End of a Love Affair

Last edited by pushkar000; 09-07-2015 at 11:41 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hank Garland - Riot-Chous

Johnny Smith - I Didn't Know What Time It Was

Chico Hamilton - People - (Gabor Szabo - Guitar)

User Info Menu

little unusual .but really check out the solo that denny diaz does with steely dan on( king of the world)
    staggeringly tasteful . go to the stratosphere .metheny undeniably blows if your a realist and not caught into musical dogma

User Info Menu

Hi ,
    Wes Montgomery : Round Midnight
    Kenny Burrell : My favorite Things
    George Benson : Breezin

User Info Menu

You can take nearly any of Jonathan Kreisberg solos...

And most Pat Martino solos ...

User Info Menu

I'm still pondering but.... considering how popular Joe Pass is on this forum, I don't see many Joe Pass solos getting mentioned.

User Info Menu

What no Joe Pass? It's difficult to choose one solo as the greatest as it's dependent on the interpretation, technical difficulty, etc. Is a very difficult solo better than a simple but entirely moving interpretation? Is Hoagy Carmichaels Stardust a better than All the things you are! I love all of Wes's single line solo's, Jim Halls So nice to come home to and Autumn Leaves.

JUST FRIENDS - BARNEY KESSEL Live
    SMILE - BIRELI LAGRENE
    SWING TO BOP - CHARLIE CHRISTIAN Live
    AFTER YOU'VE GONE - DJANGO REINHARDT
    and so many JOE PASS impros Chords, bass and solo...

User Info Menu

I remember listening to Jimmy Smith performing "The Midnight Special", And I thought Kenny Burrell's solo was the most tasteful guitar I Had ever heard. Some 50+yrs later my opinion is the same.

User Info Menu

I don't know about greatests but these three work for me. I have to say that it's about the entire track for me - you can't separate the statement of the tune and the solo.

My fave Scofield solo, Charlie Chan off the DVD, isn't on youtube atm so let this be a placeholder

User Info Menu

Greatest? Hm?

This is fantastic

User Info Menu

Scott Henderson (Vibe Station) Chelsea Bridge, Brent Mason (Smokin Section) Real Bad Blues, and... Footprints, (Pisano, Henderson, Carpenter, Kendall)

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery Airegin

George Benson cantando "This Masquerade"

Joe Pass Joes azules

User Info Menu

I could have chosen any number from the Pat Metheny catalogue, but my favorite solo is probably from the version of "Are You Going With Me" on the album "Travels". Its not available on youtube, but other excellent versions (though more pyrotechnic) are the ones he did with Anna Maria Jopek

and the 2003 performance with the Metropole Orchestra...
    Last edited by JoeJ; 09-09-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Well , obiously there are more than three

The thing is ,today I´m thinking in three or four solos and tomorrw this will change.

Today I remenber very well the solo in You dont know what love is from Doug Raney ( Cuttin lose Album)
    The solo Him hall in You´d be so nice to come home ( Concierto)
    And I remenber very well a solo made by Martin Taylor in Hawai 5-0 in his solo Album , This solo is an example of simplicity and elegance ,is going from simple to dificult and terribly melodic.

A very difficult question. Here are three that spring to mind (this week!):

Larry Carlton "Things We Said Today"

Wes Montgomery "James and Wes"

George Benson "Stella by Starlight"

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great suggestions above. My personal favourite - George Benson 'Take 5'

User Info Menu

I love the guitar duo of John Scofield and Bill Frisell... That's perfect music to me!!!

User Info Menu

Chuck Wayne: I Concentrate On You
    Tal Farlow: Stella By Starlight
    Jason Argos: However

User Info Menu

Difficult one... My top ten would actually be quite hard to rank but here goes.

1) Pat Metheny - "Have you Heard" from Letter from Home. Fabulous structure and phrasing, harmonically inspired. This solo sounds great even when transcribed for other instruments which means it is not just 'guitaristic'.

2) Hank Garland "All the things you are" from Jazz Winds from a new direction" with Gary Burton et al. This was the solo that first opened my ears to jazz guitar as a young lad.

3) Charlie Christian. "Swing to Bop" from the Jazz at Minton's recordings. Along with Hank's solo's this made me realise that there is more to guitar than rock and blues.

John Scofield would feature prominently in my top 10 but I have listed the 3 that probably have had most effect on my approach to the instrument. I don't understand what Scofield gets up to on guitar so I just admire him from a respectful distance.

User Info Menu

One of my all time favorites is the solo on "Little Shoes" by Mike Stern. Lyrical and nuanced with flashes of pyrotechnics in just the right places.
    Last edited by JoeJ; 09-09-2015 at 04:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leport1951
    I remember listening to Jimmy Smith performing "The Midnight Special", And I thought Kenny Burrell's solo was the most tasteful guitar I Had ever heard. Some 50+yrs later my opinion is the same.

That is splendid performance all 'round.

User Info Menu

Well my father R.I.P is my favorite guitarist (I am biased) and his name was Slim Richey and he was from Texas He recorded a album in 1977 called "Jazz Grass" which featured bluegrass musicians like Ricky Skaggs playing jazz standards. This solo is from an original Slim wrote called " Jazz Grass Waltz"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slim_Richey

My next favorite is from another Texas Jazz guitarist Clint Strong who studied with my dad when he was around 9 years old and my dad taught him Satin Doll lick and gave him the assignment to learn Ed's Place by Hank Garland (which he did), a year or so later he then went on to study with jazz guitar legend Howard Roberts. Clint is just an incredible jazz player. I really like his version of " I Remember April" he was my dad's favorite living jazz guitarist. He played with Merle Haggard for a number of years. In my humble opinion Clint is a lot better player than some of the more famous contemporary jazz guitarists ( not naming names) but he never put out a record which is a shame. I am sure some of you know who he is. He is also a real cool and humble guy.

This last one was tough because my three favorite jazz guitar players who were famous were Hank Garland, Barney Kessel, and Wes Montgomery in that order. I would mention Django but I am picking solos from bebop players I will have to go with this solo from Hank Garland's jazz recording "All the things you are" it is a masterpiece of improvisation.

User Info Menu

Wes Montgomery: D Natural Blues

Joe Pass: Django

Django Reinhardt: I'll See You in my Dreams

(The truth is that almost any solo by those three knocks me out. I can say the same about Pat Martino, Herb Ellis, Barney Kessel. Kenny Burell and Bireli Lagrene)

User Info Menu

I'm there with ya! Diaz had the tough job of figuring what to play on Aja. Just found out the other day Fagen told Carlton to add that opening chord on Don't take me alive. The solo works well over C blues, check the video, lol,

chris