The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 84 of 84

User Info Menu

Speaking of Melville, "Bartleby the Scrivener" is one of my favorite things.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I have heard that from those in the know. I'll have to check it out.

User Info Menu

Oh yes!

User Info Menu

don't waste time learning "licks" off web sites. Copy the masters yourself. 99% of the greats learned to play this way including martino, benson, wes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I re-read that one this past year. That and "Billy Budd." I'm pleased to find so many Melville fans here!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    don't waste time learning "licks" off web sites. Copy the masters yourself. 99% of the greats learned to play this way including martino, benson, wes
    Sage advice.

I like learning Grant Green licks, they seem to be very versatile,
    probably due to his very bluesy nature.

really wana learn Parker's lines but they're so hard on guitar!
    Not sure what album it's off of, but his solo on Groovin' High is my favorite of all time.

User Info Menu

one of the reasons I love this forum is because of threads like this..seeing music from many different directions..

my take..I have read (and re-read) many of Elmore Leonard's crime novels..he is/was a master at this stuff..yes he makes it look so simple and easy you may think.."I could THAT!"..well..no you can't.

He will us a basic plotline and twist the hell out of it and use ever thing in the toolbox and then some..and each book has flavors of all the others..but they all are unique..does he use clichés ..you bet!..do they work..to the point you wish you said them first..does this mean he isn't a real writer..come on really..

when the term "fusion" was first being used-late 60's- I saw larry Coryell in a small club..up to this point in my playing jazz was still much of a mystery as to how to play it..so I sat in the first row near center stage and watched every move Coryell made..at this point in time "speed" was not the obsession for guitarists it seems to be now with younger players..so I was transfixed-watching Coryell play chords that looked impossible and sounded so cool and then play lines at super speeds and make it look easy...so he played for an hour plus..and most of the audience was young/male/guitarists-my self included..on one piece Coryell burned for several minutes..the kind of tension that you wanted to scream for a resolution..and from out of nowhere he played a lick that Eric Clapton used on the willy dixon song "spoonful" .. now in relation to what the body of the tune Coryell was playing..this lick was fairly simple..but you know what..myself and I bet over half of that audience practiced that Clapton lick and tried like hell to use it in every song they played and hoped like hell it sounded as cool as the way Coryell played it..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolflen
    on one piece Coryell burned for several minutes..the kind of tension that you wanted to scream for a resolution..and from out of nowhere he played a lick that Eric Clapton used on the willy dixon song "spoonful" .. now in relation to what the body of the tune Coryell was playing..this lick was fairly simple..but you know what..myself and I bet over half of that audience practiced that Clapton lick and tried like hell to use it in every song they played and hoped like hell it sounded as cool as the way Coryell played it..
    Well now, you have to give us a transcription of it....

Jens