The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    The bebop guys didn't want to emulate the "old fashioned" lines of their day either.
    Sure, and that's what they said, but just listen to the swing greats and then to the boppers, they were only changing a fraction of the language. Still a huge connection! It used to be said that Parker was like Prez sped up...

Listen to any period of Miles, and tell me you can't detect the spirit of Louis Armstrong...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I totally get that the tradition is hugely important. I'm just a proponent of personalizing that tradition ... Making the tradition itself your own. Not just making the jazz language your own. Like maybe I'm into Bird, Coltrane, Jim Hall, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, John Duffy, The Clash and Bach. That's my tradition (I plan on adding to it) so I'd just like people to remain open to determining their own tradition beyond the framework of a strict jazz tradition. In that respect I think guys like Julian Lage and Robert Glasper are everything new music should be.

that said improvisers that don't investigate the American songbook and language of Charlie Parker and John Coltrane are doing themselves a disservice and shouldn't expect to be able to dialog w a huge huge subset of improvising musicians. I just would contend that those who don't check out a huge array of other shit are doing themselves the same disservice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Sure, and that's what they said, but just listen to the swing greats and then to the boppers, they were only changing a fraction of the language. Still a huge connection! It used to be said that Parker was like Prez sped up...

Listen to any period of Miles, and tell me you can't detect the spirit of Louis Armstrong...
    I hear the spirit of Miles in Christian Scott. Tradition saved, we can all move on now and just enjoy the music we enjoy.

User Info Menu

Really? I know some younger cats who, while they respect Wes, wouldn't be caught dead playing an "old fashioned" line like his.
    I guess I'd question whether that Wes line would fit the music?

I think the respect is enough. I learned more about jazz from copping Grant Green licks than ANYTHING else...but I don't sound anything like Grant. But he's still the most important jazz guitar player in my personal development.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
    I hear the spirit of Miles in Christian Scott. Tradition saved, we can all move on now and just enjoy the music we enjoy.
    Well I'm glad to hear the tradition has been saved by Christian Scott. Phew! - for a minute there I thought it had all but vanished!

User Info Menu

Well I'm glad to hear the tradition has been saved by Christian Scott. Phew! - for a minute there I thought it had all but vanished!

LOL.

Kidding aside, Scott's a great example of someone who obviously knows and respects tradition, but plays in a very "current" way...and again, I'd say that goes for all the modern players who are worth listening to...there's plenty of forgettable current players too.